Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The Chalk & Cheese May 2014 Trip - Day 8 - Going Home

Today was the day most of us just want over with, the day we go home.

I lounged in bed for a while before going out to the balcony one last time, I never tired of that view, the lagoon, the pool, the monorail, people walking to and from the villas, etc.

For the last time I walked round to the lounge and sat on my ‘usual’ table having oatmeal (porridge) and melon, washed down with a cup of chamomile tea. One thing I’ve noticed about the Royal Palm Club is that people tend to keep themselves to themselves, most people will grab something to eat from the lounge and go back to their rooms or suites, very view people in comparison would sit in the lounge itself, it was always very quiet and there was never any issue with getting seat unlike some resort club levels.

It was now time to say goodbye to my room, bell services collected my luggage, I did a final check that I hadn’t left anything anywhere and then closed the door and caught the lift down to the lobby.

To soften the blow I had a deluxe signature manicure booked at the Spa followed by lunch at the Grand Floridian Café.

It was due to rain today, a lot, but the morning had started out quite pleasant. It was a nice short walk to the Senses Spa, I’d been to the ‘old’ spa but this new Senses Spa looked amazing. When you check in you’re given a drink to commence your ‘journey’, I thought this was a bit overkill and didn’t really fancy it but the CM who gave me a tour was really enthusiastic and so I had one.

I was shown into a waiting room where there were more refreshments as well as muffins, not gluten free so I couldn’t have them.

My manicure commenced on time (I’d be surprised if it didn’t, afterall it’s Disney lol), 90 minutes of oil massage, hot stone massage, trimming, tidying and painting. I’m definitely having this manicure again!

I had the option of returning to the lounge to relax but as I had lunch booked at the Grand Floridian Café and as, according to the reception CM, it was looking like it was going to rain very soon, I decided to head back to the main building. Part of the walkway is covered but part isn’t and I didn’t want to get wet if it were going to rain.

The Grand Floridian Café was really busy, I’d noticed all week the resort seemed busier than I had experienced before, but today it seemed even busier. There were a few people waiting but when I checked it the CM made mention to my being a resort guest and I was whisked straight through. This is where things ground to a halt, service was slow, very very slow. My waitress was lovely, in fact it made it worse as she was so lovely, but she was slow, the kitchen was slow, everything was slow.

I just opted for a main course with possibly a dessert afterwards, strip steak with a peppercorn sauce and mashed potatoes. It was a good steak but too large for me, so I ate just half and thought about a dessert.

30 minutes later I was still thinking about dessert.

By this time it had started raining and more and more people were coming into the busy restaurant, I just wanted to get out but my waitress was having problems putting through my dining credit. After another 10 minutes I got up to leave as I wasn’t going to wait any longer, it was painfully slow, a manager appeared and rectified the situation and I could finally leave.

As I was leaving the restaurant I heard my name being called, friends who had arrived the evening before decided to see if they could find me at the Grand Floridian before I left. They’d tried calling my mobile but as theirs was a US mobile they had some issues so they as they were at the Magic Kingdom and it was raining they thought they’d just pop over on the monorail to see if they could find me anywhere.

I spent some time with my friends, it was a lovely ending to my perfect stay. I quickly popped up back to the lounge to say goodbye to the CMs and then all too soon it really was time to say goodbye to the Grand Floridian.

As usual my towncar (through Florida Magical Tours and Transport, a Dibb sponsor) arrived on time, the car immaculate, the driver professional and polite, and I was soon en route to MCO. Within minutes the heavens opened, not just a Florida downpour, but apparently a heavy storm front, next thing the radio starts giving an alarm signal and a ‘tornado warning’ is given. OMG, not what a nervous flyer wants to hear!

On arrival at MCO I was directed to the Upper Class check-in, a very smiley and helpful Virgin agent tried to reassure me saying it was all perfectly safe to take off, of course I know they won’t take off if it’s not safe, but I was still starting to worry. Remember my wondering if my suitcase weight was correct, it wasn’t – it turned out it only weighed 19 kg (!), I still don’t understand that lol

I was directed to the priority line for security, not that it was worth it as you just go through a separate entrance but it merges into the main line. When I had used it last it was a totally separate line and I whizzed through, this time it took about 20 minutes. Just a heads up for anyone else who has used the priority line before, it’s not always there!

Onto the monorail over to departures and the upstairs to the Delta Crown Lounge. The lounge area was heaving, a lot of internal flights had been delayed or cancelled due to the storm front. Now I was starting to get worried. I managed to get a seat (only a few were empty due to the delayed passengers) next to the window, at times you could hardly see due to the heavy rain, then airport staff were recalled to the building due to risk of thunder/lightening. I didn’t think I was getting home.

I think lady luck must have been looking after me though as for just over an hour the weather cleared, I went down to the gate which was also heaving with the majority of the passengers congregated around the priority boarding lane. I squeezed through and a Virgin staff member who saw my UC boarding card asked me to wait by the side and she’d board me quickly, they just had a group of special assistance passengers to board. These special assistance passengers were ‘dreams come true’ children, it was extremely humbling seeing those very ill children in wheelchairs, on oxygen, etc., boarding the plane. Puts life into perspective and shame on those PE passengers standing behind me complaining about why had they paid extra to board when they were being made to wait!

To top it all I then had an extremely rude gentleman, travelling PE apparently, who pushed (yes, pushed me and I nearly fell over!) out the way and asked in a very loud voice if PE were boarding yet. Seeing what had happened to me she briskly told the gentleman to wait, asked if I was OK and promptly instructed me to board immediately.

It was a madhouse and I was glad to be boarding to get away from it.

Not much to report about the flight, I was in seat 12A again, as there was only one Gatwick flight, we had 3 captains, 2 FSMs, and numerous crew. It was a bumpy flight at times due to the storm front, and I’m not ashamed to admit I had a couple of brandies to settle myself. The rest of the flight therefore passed in a blur and I landed refreshed at Gatwick.

Long wait at passport control where I queued with the rest of the EU, quick wait for my luggage, my car and driver were waiting for me and 40 minutes later I was home. It was over all too quickly.

I can honestly say this was the best holiday I have ever had. I know I often say that about my holidays lol but really, I went in with no expectations at all, my favourite resort (Boardwalk) was being refurbished, I had decided not to stay at the Yacht Club or Beach Club due to a very large convention going on for part of my stay, but I ended up falling in love with the Wilderness Lodge and enjoying the Grand Floridian again. Everything from my rooms, the views, to the little extras in my room, were all unexpected, but so magical.

Thank you for joining me on my trip down memory lane, I’ll be going back again, just not sure for definite when yet

Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Sounds like a lovely trip Clare - so glad you got to go back, and nice to see you are planning another trip in the future

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
gettingthere
Imagineer

Enjoyed reading your trip report,glad you finished it,Some people are so rude,glad he wasnt sitting next to you.
Old 25 May 14, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It's a shame your last day was tarnished with poor service at GFC, we had a similar experience there last October with a painfully slow kitchen and an inept server who couldn't get the order right. And, my, what a horrid experience at the gate with rude arrogant people.

So pleased to hear you are definitely going back...next time for longer hopefully?
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Lovely trip and some gorgeous pictures and views
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely end to your perfect week at your happy place .
Looking forward to reading your plans and tweaks when you book your next trip !
Thanks for sharing
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Such a lovely trip - thanks for sharing

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Those last days are always sad ones. Really enjoyed reading and looking at the wonderful photos. Glad your friends tracked you down
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a lovely last day, the spa sound relaxing, shame about lunch service though and shameful of the rude chap at the airport ! I've so enjoyed your trip, it's been so calm and so full of treats, just perfect, thank you x
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I've thoroughly enjoyed your report, thanks for sharing

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List