Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jul 14, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Soarin' at Epcot to test changes to Standby Queue this week

inline imageA new standby queue system will be tested on Disney's Soarin' attraction in Epcot between 29-31 July, 2014. This is a similar test to the one that was conducted on Anna and Elsa meet and greet last week, at the Magic Kingdom.

Guests will be given a return ticket that will direct them to return at an appointed time (working like the old FASTPASS system) rather than waiting in the standby queue for an extended period of time. The cards will be available from the Soarin' rotunda (the entrance area of the attraction) on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one card will be given to each Guest, and all members of a party have to be present to receive a card. No exceptions to this rule.

Cast Members will allow guests to fill the standby line to a predetermined point. Once that point is reached, the line to Soarin' will be considered closed. Guests who arrive after the line has been filled will be directed to Soarin' rotunda where cast members will issue each guest with a pass with a comeback time on a “first come first serve” basis. The comeback time printed on each ticket will have a 30 minute window in which to return and enter the standby line to ride Soarin'. Once a guest has come back to Soarin' and enters the line, Disney expects the maximum wait to be approximately 30 minutes."

Once all cards are given out for the day, the attraction will be considered closed for standby Guests, as Soarin' will have reached capacity, and will therefore not be able to handle any more Guests for that day.

Guests that have Fastpass+ reservations will still use the attraction as normal using their Fastpass+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soarin.jpg
Views:	21455
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	56515  
Old 27 Jul 14, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

interesting. I am not sure how it will work in practice but I like the idea
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
SugarRush
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
This is actually hilarious. It's gone back to legacy fast pass really, this will encourage people to batter the you know what out the system. Whats going to stop people making a fast pass + then sending every member of the family to get a family worth of return tickets instead of waiting in the queue? Stupid idea
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
So I can turn up in the morning and use my FP+, then when the queue gets too long I can get a legacy FP and get another go later without a line.

But if I arrived in the park in the afternoon instead and all the FPs have been handed out I can't even make the decision to stand in a very long queue even if it is the one and only thing I want to do in the whole of Epcot?

The legacy FP was so much better!
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SugarRush View Post
This is actually hilarious. It's gone back to legacy fast pass really, this will encourage people to batter the you know what out the system. Whats going to stop people making a fast pass + then sending every member of the family to get a family worth of return tickets instead of waiting in the queue? Stupid idea
It says every person must be present to get the ticket and then when you return you'll still probably be waiting up to 30 minutes to get on the ride.

I think it's a good idea and it'll be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Hopefully it will work out well for everyone, not so many people having to stand in long queues freeing them up for other attactions, or for Disney more shops

We used fast pass+ in May and for us it worked much better than the old system which we found was geared more towards people who arrived at rope drop and had a plan of what order they'd do the rides. We tend to arrive later so for us it was nice to know that we'd get a chance to get on the most popular rides without long waits even if it did mean we had to plan in advance.

If the new system works for the more popular rides I'll look forward to using it next year.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
So I can turn up in the morning and use my FP+, then when the queue gets too long I can get a legacy FP and get another go later without a line.
I read it as a maximum 30 minute queue when you return so won't be a walk on. They're just trying to free people up from the worst of the queue so that they can spend more money on other things

I hope it works out, sounds like a good idea.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
brhrar
Imagineer

brhrar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Nice plan to get rid of the "I waited 5+ hours... " posts on forums and other social media which are not good PR. Agree with others posting that it will free people up to go and invest more at shops and food.
At least they are trying to address the issue but it does look very much like the old FP system, will they need to dust off the old machines and install then again?
2014 Dibb Sunset Lakes 2015 Sunset Lakes 2016 Windsor Palms 2018 Clear Creek 2019 Dibb High Grove
brhrar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

A mix of new and old might be the ideal solution? Dunno, but you can see them adding this to other places at some point surely? TSM and Seven Dwarfs perhaps?

Still not sure why anyone would Q more than 30 mins for Soarin' though - borin'!
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

I was listening to the WDW today podcast earlier and Len Testa (author of the unofficial guide) also reckoned this was very similar to legacy fastpass. Also reckons that if this (and the one for Anna and Elsa at MK) is successful then they will roll out to other popular attractions

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Carol_G
Imagineer

Carol_G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
I hope it works and really does cut down on queue time and helps those out without a FP+. However I hope it does extend to some other rides as I am not a fan of Soarin at all.

Edited at 08:56 PM.
Carol_G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List