Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Sep 14, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Back Yesterday - California Highs and Lows

Hi Everyone,

Well we got back yesterday - DD started back at school today & both DH & I were back at work. Only DS got the day off.

We had an absolutely fabulous time travelling the West Coast & some of the Californian National/State Parks. I really will try to do a trip report but here are our highs...

San Francisco - absolutely loved the place! The hills, the food, the vibe, cycling the bridge, alcatraz etc. We had a fab view over the city to see every night and morning as were were almost on the top of Nob Hill. I'd definately stay there again.

Whale Watching - a humpback whate did a jump right next to our boat!

Hearst Castle - absoluely loved it here. DH expected it to be rubbish & he enjoyed it too. I'd loved to have seen more of the house.

Loews Hollywood Hotel - I could live here! We were upgraded and given a late checkout too. Floor to ceiling views of the Hollywood sign and a rooftop pool were fab. We felt like film stars

Yosemite - wow just wow. Nothing else to say

Giant Redwoods - I could have stayed all day in this park just wandering through these trees.

The Food - we had some lovely meals & I only put on 4lb Some of the best were the cheapest - the kids fell in love with Panda Express and we had 3 IHOP visits. We also had a fab mexican on our last night that cost less than $50 for the 4 of us.

Now the not so highs

Warner brothers tour. This cost a lot of money & I didn't feel it was money well spent. We were asked what out fav shows were & a lot said the Big Bang Theory. We got to drive by the studio where they film (twice), and see the parking spaces reserved for the stars. The friends set was good, but overall I was a bit meh about the whole thing.

Peppermill Hotel Reno. This was sold as a Vegas style hotel & I suppose it was. But it was so tacky & smoky & I hadn't expected that. The 'adult' trailer playing in the room as we opened the door didn't help. I have never seen DS14 go so red.
Shopping - We wasted time shopping & I bought nothing. In hindsight I should have spent more time chilling.

Fender Factory - was shut for a private party on the only day we could go. DH blagged his way in for s sneek peek though.

The Driving - we did over 2000 miles & the kids were fed up by the end. One of the last days on the CA36 was so twisty that both kids felt ill & it took us hours and hours.

We are sad to be home and definately will revisit.

I'm off to tackle Mount Ironmore now

Ruth
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Welcome home, we have done the West Coast 3 times, and will return, there is so much to see, so much diversity.

Hope the jet leg treats you well
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Welcome home. We are going to the west coast next June and would love to read a trippie _ when you have finished the ironing of course
TractorBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

Welcome back ,we have been back 3 weeks now 😟 words cannot describe Yosemite and how amazing it is ,sounds like you had a fab time

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Mobile

Agree with you about Yosemite. It's breathtaking! And the driving too - it's horrendous!

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sounds like an amazing trip! Will you be starting a trippy. Im desperate for some reading before we go

Glad to hear that you loved San FrN and Yosemite so much, i can't wait for both of them. We are rans of Panda Express too and Ihop actually! Where was the Mexican you mentioned?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Hi Abi,

The mexican was in a little town called Willits on the Redwood Highway north of SF. It was nothing fancy looking, but was busy with locals which is always a good sign.

Ruth
Ruthy1604 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

Can anyone point me to the 'Dibb idiots guide to writing a trippie' I'm not sure how to do indexes or upload photos
Old 2 Sep 14, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Can't wait to read your trippie.
the Jet lag is the bit I am really NOT looking forward to but it sounds like you all had an amazing time x
LLKJDisney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 14, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ruthy1604
VIP Dibber

The jet lag is not too bad. Obviously it meant we were up early on the first few days and tired early eve, but thats normal for us anyway.

Coming home, I didn't sleep on the plane. 5pm SFO departure. Landed in Dublin around 11.30am & short hop home to Birmingham. I think we arrived home at 3 ish. By the time I had unpacked & popped to the shops the tiredness had pretty much passed. We went to bed at 9 and I was awake this morning at about 5.30am.

Its actually lunch time in SF, but I feel like its UK time.
Closed Thread