Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Disney and the Doubletree - Aug 2014 - Day 6

Previously: Day 5 - Pool, Downtown Disney and Magic Kingdom

Day Six - Thursday 21st August 2014 - More of Epcot

It was an earlier start today as we tried to get to Epcot for opening time. I don't think we succeeded getting there before rope drop but it wasn't much afterwards. We hadn't had breakfast at the resort today, so the plan was to get something to eat at Epcot.

We were heading to the Land pavilion eager for some food, but on the way stopped to see Mickey and friends in the Character Spot area. There was a little queue but it moved quickly.

Here we are with Mickey...

...then cheeky Goofy, who tickled Michelle...

...and then the wonderful Minnie Mouse:

The character spot isn't quite as good as it used to be as there's only 3 characters instead of 5 (Donald and Pluto are missing).
Stomachs rumbling, we carried on to the Land and had breakfast at the Sunshine Seasons. This is a great place to come if you have the quick service dining place - lots of choice of different meals. We had a couple of breakfast platters and a breakfast panini (which came with eggs, bacon, roast pork, cheese and those slightly spicy "breakfast potatoes" that the Americans have). Very nice.

Once our fast had been broken, we (perhaps surprisingly) didn't join the queue for Soarin'. The previous night we'd considered whether to book a fastpass for Soarin' or Test Track - you can only book one or the other - and decided we all liked Test Track slightly more. Plus, we'd been on Soarin' lots last time we'd visited a couple of years ago and Test Track hadn't been open. Instead we went on the Living with the Land boat ride. There was no queue to speak of so it was a walk on.

Keeping with the watery theme, we then left the Land and visited Nemo and friends in the (Living) Seas pavilion. One of the best attractions in there is the incredibly funny Turtle Talk, with Crush the turtle from Finding Nemo.

This always makes me chuckle and is well worth visiting. Afterwards, we spent a bit of time looking around at all the fishes, like these jellyfish:

I also happened to notice some people in the water with the dolphins (yes, there are dolphins at Epcot) teaching them a few tricks - the dolphins not the people. Seaworld isn't the only park in Orlando that has dolphins performing tricks for guests.

Outside, it was time for our fastpass for Test Track so we went and designed another super-awesome car and whizzed around the building at 65 miles an hour.

Yet again, it was a very hot day and we still hadn't seen one of those short afternoon showers people always go on about. I reckon they're all just making them up! With no respite from the heat, we decided to cool down at the Cool Wash instead:

It's surprising how wet you can get in here. I think we also had a Fastpass booked for Spaceship Earth, so we marched over to the iconic Big Ball:

Finally, it was time to walk around the world. More specifically, we visited the World Showcase section of Epcot next. This time anti-clockwise. That meant the first stop was Canada...

Hannah picked up another Perry the Platypus on a stick and we also signed up to do the Agent P interactive treasure hunt type thing. Whatever it's called. We'd done the Kim Possible version in the past and this was just the same, but with Phineas and Ferb. Last time Hannah got bored after the first mission and the same thing happened again with this version.

The first Agent P mission was in France, where we also had some lunch at the new Boulangerie Patisserie.

Kind of like a French version of Greggs, there were lots of yummy snacks, pastries and takeaway meals on display. There was also a small seating area outside. This seating area could actually do with being a bit bigger because it was quite busy but, after a short wait, we did manage to find somewhere to sit. Thankfully, it was nicely airconditioned.

We had a turkey BLT, a Nicoise Salade, a large macaroon and a larger chocolate eclair to share between the 3 of us. The eclair wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds in the Florida heat.

The macaroon was very brightly coloured and a miniature work of art.

Onwards and roundwards though. And next was the Morocco pavilion.

There's some marvellous architectural theming here. Although, if I'm honest, not much else of interest to us. Sorry Morocco.

Japan was next and we spent quite a while looking in the large shop here. There's lots of interesting stuff in here and I was tempted by some of the Gundam models but managed to resist.

Through America and then past Italy and Germany (looking in the shops and getting stamps for Hannah's Perry-on-a-stick as we went) we ended up back in China. A quick stop for a photo with the Big Ball in the distance:

We stepped inside one of the buildings, where it was cool and quiet, to see the reproduction of the Terracota Army:

Somehow, we must have always missed this building as we'd never been in here before.

By now, it was late in the afternoon and we were getting tired and hot. We'd already looked around Norway and Mexico when we did the "left hand" side of Epcot a couple of days ago. We did decide to go on the boat ride in Mexico again though. Well, it was cool in the Mexico pavilion.

On the way out of Epcot we also rode Spaceship Earth again because the queue was non-existent. Saying goodbye to the Big Ball, we got the bus back to our resort where I think we went for another quick swim in the pool.

For tea/dinner we ate at Old Port Royale, choosing italian meals (pizza and pasta) plus chocolately desserts (brownie, chocolate cake and cookie). After watching the flashes and listening to the bangs from the nearby fireworks, it was the end of another day at Disney. Just two more days left and we hadn't really done Magic Kingdom much yet.

Tomorrow, we would remedy that.

But before that, another funny hat photo (this was taken during our visit to Hollywood Studios):

Darth Hannah and Emperor Michelle!

Next: Day 7 - Magic Kingdom

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 12:38 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 14, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great day, Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 14, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Another great day. My 2 loved Japan - had to drag them out the shop.

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Some gorgeous pictures today.

They should definitely have the whole Fab 5 meeting at Character Spot. It's rare to find Donald in his classic outfit and you can't find all 5 together anywhere easily.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Some gorgeous pictures today.

They should definitely have the whole Fab 5 meeting at Character Spot. It's rare to find Donald in his classic outfit and you can't find all 5 together anywhere easily.
Thanks. And, yes, the old Character Spot used to be better - but also busier.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Fab day again, we didn't get to look round the countries much. Japan looks so interesting
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 14, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by juliab View Post
Fab day again, we didn't get to look round the countries much. Japan looks so interesting
The shops and architecture around the world Showcase are very good. And the shop at the Japan pavilion is probably one of the best.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 24 Apr 15, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Another good day. That macaroon looked good.
I've never actually been inside the China pavilion yet. I'm always too hot by the time I've got there!
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 15, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
Another good day. That macaroon looked good.
I've never actually been inside the China pavilion yet. I'm always too hot by the time I've got there!
Thanks.

I'm not a fan of macaroons but it did look pretty good, even to me.

Inside the China pavilion it's wonderfully airconditioned. So, next time, if you're too hot head inside one of the buildings, either the shop or the building with the terracota army (which is also very quiet and has benches to sit on).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 6 Aug 15, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
Fab character pics, shame all 5 aren't there anymore, loving the hat pics, think everyone must have at least one *sillyhat* pic in their collection
Still can't believe you didn't do Soarin, though can understand why if TT is your favourite, that's their 2 favourites but Soarin is mine so we will *have!* to do both
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List