Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 14, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
anwad
VIP Dibber

Hiatus hernia and severe anaemia anyone?

I apologise in advance for this being a long post but just wondered if anyone else had suffered with both of these..
I have a tendency of blaming my weight/age/menopause/asthma for everything so didn't go to the doctors for months when I eventually caved and went the doctor took one look at me and said that I was severely anaemic. Anyway, long story short, I was taken in straight after blood test results for transfusion as I had severe iron deficiency anaemia. The last few weeks have been spent having a variety of tests to find the cause..

I have been having severe bloating, with vomiting or nausea. Extreme pain in my abdomen and feeling full easily. Today's test has shown a hiatus hernia but most of the things I have read on 'Dr Google ' just seem to talk about reflux and heartburn which I haven't really had. Also wondering about the link with anaemia. I will obviously get some answers when I see the consultant but just wondered if anyone had encountered this before. Thanks, Dawn
Virgin villa July 2003; Virgin villa Easter 2005; Virgin villa Easter 2009; Solana Villa August 2013; Dibb Townhouse Christmas 2016; West Coast Roadtrip August 2017; Boardwalk Halloween 2018; AKL,Disney Wish and RPR October 2023
anwad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not able to help at all, but having been to the docs and waiting blood results too. In the mean time i've been told to have OTC iron and its made the world of difference to me.

Hope you feel better soon
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I was anaemic and after testing found out I am coeliac, whilst doing an endoscopy for coeliac found out I had hiatus hernia and like you had no symptoms but had major heartburn whilst pregnant so suspect that was the cause. My dad was severely anaemic and they discovered a lack of vitamin B12 and he now gets an injection every 3 months.

Ask for testing for coeliac to rule it out but I know that acid can stop iron absorption so this could be the issue. I have tried various tablets from the doctor that made me feel worse and stick to tums tablets before bed as now suffering when I lay down at night.

I have seen mixed reports regarding milk, some say it helps, some say it makes things worse. Hope you get it sorted, by the way watch out for things like anti inflamatories and ibuprofen as they can make acid worse.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
anwad
VIP Dibber

They have tested for coeliac Shona, both blood and biopsy but they were negative. I have not been given any results from CT scans yet so the only thing I know is definite is the hernia. I was imagining all sorts (family history) so I don't think they have ever had anyone as happy being told they have a hernia
Virgin villa July 2003; Virgin villa Easter 2005; Virgin villa Easter 2009; Solana Villa August 2013; Dibb Townhouse Christmas 2016; West Coast Roadtrip August 2017; Boardwalk Halloween 2018; AKL,Disney Wish and RPR October 2023
anwad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandieb
Imagineer

I have always had severe anaemia and despite endoscopy and colonoscopy and every other test or exam under the sun, they have absolutely no idea why. I have to have regular transfusion and then they test me a few days later and the iron levels already drop. That just shouldn't happen. So I have just learned to accept it, I try and eat iron rich food, always with Vit C to help absorption and never miss a transfusion appointment. And then I just get on with it but I would love to operate with a full battery of energy, even for a short while. I never feel fully operational, if that makes sense.

I hope you have more success with your investigations and wish you well.
Sandieb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
anwad
VIP Dibber

That sounds awful Sandieb. I know how bad I felt when my iron count was at its lowest (6). Wouldn't like to think that I would have it constantly. Take care and best wishes
Old 30 Oct 14, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I have a hiatus hernia. Before I went onto Lansoprazole the pain was unbearable. It was like a knife between my shoulder blades and used to make me cry with the discomfort. I still have days when I feel " off" and queasy and if I overdo it with rich food, I can be quite unwell but the meds have made a massive difference to me.

Hope you get sorted, it's rubbish feeling poorly. Big hug x
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 14, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread