Old 17 Nov 14, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Ooh..this is a bit posh for us! Day minus 2 - Edinburgh

Day minus 2 – Edinburgh
We were in no hurry to get up today as we were both off work and the only thing on the agenda was a trip to Edinburgh for an overnighter. Due to the torrential rain of the past 3 or 4 days I had cancelled our proposed Ghost Tour; this turned out to be a huge mistake as it was a lovely dry, mild autumn day/evening in Edinburgh
Despite not needing to be up early, I still got up around 6ish. I went downstairs for a cuppa and some peace and quiet. I paid a pile of bills online and then Jake surfaced and put the telly on – peace shattered!
I had to iron and pack Jake’s stuff so he popped up to ASDA for rolls and made rolls on bacon while I sorted out his questionable choices….I had already filtered out some of his more chavvy and pure, dead Scottish items but I noticed one or two had crept back into the pile. I said nothing….he does it to wind me up and I wasn’t giving him the satisfaction this morning.
I had to nip into the local Tesco to pick up an order and also ended up spending almost an hour browsing around and picking up more absolutely essential items. Home and squeezed everything we could think of into the cases. Having TWO pre travel days was proving to be a pain in the proverbial as we would need coats and jeans to wear to Edinburgh, something clean and ironed to wear down to Manchester and then something else to fly in…..sigh…..whose bright idea was this?
Some half-hearted housework ensued…probably the first time a duster had been used in anger in many a long month/year/millennium. In fact, it is a revelation to me that I even own a duster! Jake had stripped the bed when he got up so that had already been washed and dried and the towels we used for our showers were in the washer….I can cope with burglars fighting their way through the dust and cobwebs but heaven forbid they come across a used towel hanging damp on the rail!
Billy (star of 3 Amigos Christmas Caper - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185748) arrived to take us to the train station. We waved him off and waited about 5 minutes for our train to Edinburgh.
Here is Jake demonstrating his “I’m wearing this even though it’s far too small but I know it will annoy my wife” zipper! Doesn’t my new luggage look lovely though!

Train journey was painless although we came to a halt in the furthest possible platform….

it probably had a Glasgow postcode it was so bloody far from where I wanted to be! The long walk, the heavy cases and the unexpected mild weather meant I was “glowing “ like a pig by the time I checked into Motel One….in reality a less than a 5 minute walk for a fit person. At check in I was offered an upgrade to a room with a view for £10…what the hell, what’s a tenner worth these days? I accepted the offer and my wee room was fab and it also came with free WI-FI.

Not sure why this one is so out of focus

The infinity effect of the mirrors positioned on opposite sides of the bathroom

The view from our window

We pretty much dumped out bags and headed straight back out, Jake decided he needed a cap for the holiday so we went to the first available tourist trap and he bought the least offensive “I’m a tourist” one on offer….thankfully! While he was choosing I was perusing the other touristy stuff on offer and bought myself a wee notepad in which to document our trip….It is a standing joke (or annoyance to my bosses) that when I’m asked “how are you?” my response is always the same – “I’m fabulous!” usually with my signature scowl

I had fancied trying Cosmo International Buffet since we had cancelled the Devil’s Advocate and our Ghost Tour but it was still about 40 minutes till opening time so Jake chose TGIs instead. Off we trotted along Prince’s Street in search of some overpriced food served by kid-on American waiting staff. Oh Joy, my first encounter with Elsa! The TGI staff was dressed up in honour of Hallowe’en and Elsa was at the door handing our vibrators (they are very open minded in Edinburgh) we had a half hour wait so went to sit at the bar. Jake looked like he was participating in the Hallowe’en theme when he went whiter than Casper the Ghost when he saw the bill for one Budweiser and a Mojito (£10.09), finally it was time to hand back the vibrator and we were seated in a booth as requested. We both had the sesame chicken strips in JD sauce to start, Jake had Cajun shrimp in JD sauce and I had the Cajun chicken and shrimp in the same sauce, I also had another mojito so the bill was a healthy £48.50

Edinburgh was lighting up nicely as we walked back to the hotel….we also saw the Remembrance Garden which was being set up in Princes’s Street gardens

From our hotel

We spend an exciting evening watching telly/Dibbing/FBing, showered, sorted and bed. I got back up a short time later as there was a commotion going on outside. It turned out to be the end of a Hallowe’en parade which had just come down Cockburn Street. The crowds following it were now dispersing below our window.

Sleep time!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Looks good! Have you got a pre trippie? are you flying from Edinburgh?
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post
Looks good! Have you got a pre trippie? are you flying from Edinburgh?
Pre Trippy is linked to the Index (click on the link on my signature)

Flying from Edinburgh would be too sensible, we flew from Manchester!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Coolio, thank you!
Oh my days, thats a bit of a drive!
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiga6
Imagineer

Caught up now! Love your trip planning!
Next day please!
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Originally Posted by Twiga6 View Post
Coolio, thank you!
Oh my days, thats a bit of a drive!
There are no direct flight from Scotland to Orlando over the winter season...we usually drive up and down to Manchester no problem...but this year we took the train
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gerryc
Imagineer

gerryc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great start to the hols, poor Jake you give him a hard time!

1995 Kissimmee, 1997 & 2000 international drive
2008 Calabay Park,2011,2014,2016,2017 Lake Buena vista. 2018 DLP, Las Vegas
gerryc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 14, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Leeds Tink
Imagineer

Leeds Tink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 35
Really enjoyed reading that Myra. It did make me laugh, especially the bit about Jake surfacing, putting the telly on and the peace being shattered. Could have been written about what it's like on a weekend morning in my house.

Hotel looks great and glad to see that they had the loo roll on the right way
Old 17 Nov 14, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Originally Posted by gerryc View Post
Great start to the hols, poor Jake you give him a hard time!
It's not a hard time if he's not on the Dibb and can't read it!
Old 17 Nov 14, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely start! Two pre trip days! I don't think I could do that, too much time to keep changing my mind about packing! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List