Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 May 15, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Never Say Never! - December 2014 - Day 5 - Part 2 - Hotel Change & Wanyama Safari

Never Say Never! - December 2014 - Day 5 - Part 2 - Hotel Change & Wanyama Safari (awkward moments & injuries a plenty!)

So in part 1 I left you having finished with animal kingdom for the day. We’d done a lot despite the rain and would be back the following day anyway so there was no rush.

There was however a very real rush to get to AKL. We had booked the Wanyama Safari today and we had 30 mins to get there and checked in, eek!

We walked to the bus stops and noticed one for AKL just coming around so we ran towards the stop, which sods law happened to be the furthest one away, ARGH!

We made it though, a scooter was loading (finally a positive ) so we had time to catch our breathe before getting on.

Timewise I had hoped to get off at kidani, get checked in and refreshed in our room before heading back to Jambo house but as we had to check in 15 mins before the tour started I wasn’t going to have time :/ So instead we got off at Jambo and headed straight towards Jiko where the tour was due to meet.

The check in desk was manned but I could tell at first that the guy wasn’t sure if we should really be there, we looked like we’d been dragged through a hedge backwards (although I guess we had been dragged through a CAVE backwards to escape a yeti earlier…). However he finally relented when I was able to provide the suitable identification :P

We noticed that we weren’t the first to arrive and I instantly became very aware of my appearance.

The group were very well dressed. Think shirts and sweater, “west coast style”

and there was me, think more “pasty too much fleshy style”

yep THOSE legs….. AHHH!

We kept very much to ourselves and finally a lady on her own arrived along with another couple. I would say in all we were probably the youngest by a good 15 years and the least appropriately dressed people… well ever!

Once we were all settled our cultural representative Beatrice (I think!) gave us an introduction on what we’d be doing and about the restaurant. Finally we were led through to the private dining suite, the wine room.

It was very swish!

Here we met our first chef. who explained the dishes offered at the first tasting. A bit like a drinks reception of sorts but without the booze.

They had a lovely iced tea with fruit and lots of lovely “bits” to try, both savoury and sweet

I grabbed a plate of everything and headed to a table.

The scones and sausage were the best!

Whilst eating and returning for seconds our cultural rep tried to get everyone involved and talking. Asking where people were from and telling us a bit about herself and why she was here. She told us that she enjoys it and get to meet lots of people, although she’s bemused sometimes by the things people say.

Such as “what’s your real AFRICAN name”…. can’t be Beatrice apparently.

“what’s it like being in the US, a bet it’s great being able to wear shoes for the first time” I kid you not!

Then the chef piped in, and said the best he’d been asked is when a couple wanted to try the “Striped Lion” at Boma…that’s “Strip Loin” to everyone else!

It was a fun start and we got talking a little to some of the other guests. Although for some reason I was VERY shy for once… can’t think why, oh yes…

Those legs again!

Anyway we thanked the chef who explained that he wouldn’t be serving us dinner, instead that would be “Rob” (can’t remember his actual name!). He explained that “Rob” was a senior chef but he wasn’t intimidating, in fact he loved giving “warm hugs” just like Olaf!

I mean who doesn’t!

At this point our three guides for the trip arrived to take us down to the truck.

At this point, now I wasn’t sat down, the other members of the group saw my legs. “Jeez aren’t you cold” one of the ladies said (she was part of the large group we’d seen on entering, consisting of two gentleman and their mothers, they were from the west coast, washington state to be exact I later learned). Considering it must have been no more than 5 degrees and it was raining I explained that yes, I was fairly cold! I tried to rationalise it by explaining that our luggage was being transported to the resort and I didn’t have chance to check in and change. They felt sorry for me then, probably realising it wasn’t entirely my own fault and I wasn’t a complete LOON since I did know I was dress like a complete idiot!

Once in the truck the ladies tried to close the shutters to keep out the drizzle, but the guides explained they wouldn’t be able to see much and instead they gave us all a disney poncho each to wear. I hastily put mine on and the two nice ladies helped me wrap the bottom bits around my legs as best we could :P

First we headed towards Kidani village and the Pembe Savanna.

Passing this little lady waiting for her dinner on the way!

Well I don’t know what to say other than I was hoping dearly that we didn’t end up with a savanna view of Pembe later that day. Our guide explained that it’s the “quieter savanna” (yes, because it’s small with nothing in it!). And it’s where they put the other animals who like a slower pace. So basically it’s a retirement resort for seniors, I’m surprised I didn’t see a scooter or two!

Next we entered the main sunset savanna, whilst waiting by the gates we saw this Giraffe.

Apparently he stands there a lot because he wants to get back inside because it’s cold, bless him, I knew how he felt!

Then we drove further into the savanna and got some lovely views looking back at the hotel. lovely!

Every few meters we’d stop by some more animals and the guides would introduce them all by name. The tour is run by actual keepers so they really do know their stuff!

We now came to the edge of Kidani’s savanna before it joins Jambo house so by the gates the guides asked if we’d like to call in the ducks. One of the ladies did and was VERY enthusiastic with the little hooter he gave her. Then we did the same with the pigs. They really were a great group!

There they are, just by the tree. I hadn’t realised but apparently lots of the smaller animals are kept “under” the hotel over night for safety.

Next we came across a “deer” and her fawn.

he was super cute!

Apparently they get lots of babies but December isn’t a busy month for it. so we didn’t see many.

We did see ALOT of these though.

Apparently they are the bully boys of the savanna, they proved true to that name by proceeding to chase off these ladies

Then we reached the middle of the savanna and waved at the puzzled guests out on the veranda that were watching this pair

We learned all about the different types of giraffe they have here and also the 50/50’s they have as well. It’s all in the legs people!

We also saw a mum and daughter group and it was cool to learn that this was the pregnant giraffe from our last trip (we recognised her as she has a rather odd skin infection on her neck).

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW

Edited at 01:05 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Being in the truck was great, you could really get up close, and since there are trucks being used all the time by staff etc the animals aren’t in the least bit bothered by them.

It was clearing up a little now weatherise, although it was still very cold. I had spent most of the journey chatting to the other guests whilst Adam took the pictures. So I glanced over to see what he was up to and spotted that one of the other guests had clearly seen enough giraffes

Adam however was very much keeping an eye out! hehe, bless him in his poncho

Next we pulled up near a family group of giraffes, three generations of females. They came over to check out the van, they were REALLY close!

Just after this pic was taken she stuck her head into the van next to Adam and he wet himself. I was laughing to much I missed it on my camera. Our guide made fun of him a little, explaining it was only the little one hehe!

Now the rain had stopped a lot of the grazers had come out, so we drove slowly, stopping occasionally to look at them and take photos

Towards the end we saw one of the only male giraffes they had. He was big but boy could he move!

On the way out the tour guides pointed out a big pile of sand. Apparently years ago they had left a pile of it overnight whilst redefining the paths and the cattle LOVED it. So now they dump piles of the stuff periodically just for their enjoyment.

And that was it, our tour was over. Despite the weather we’d had great fun looking at the animals and learning about individual characters. I would certainly be looking out for them from our balcony…. hopefully!

We arrived back safe and sound at the entrance to the hotel and I went to hand back my poncho. But they wouldn’t take it, they said we could keep it. So now I finally have an “official” poncho, hurrah!

Beatrice met us at the entrance to Jiko again and led us to our table. The restaurant wasn’t fully open yet and we had it to ourselves. Beatrice led us to a big marble table near the rear of the restaurant.

This one in fact

Once we were all seated we were given menus and served a pre dinner cocktail

Sunriser - Parrot Bay, Banana liqueur, orange, pineapple and cranberry juices.

It was nice, and VERY strong, considering all I had eaten that day was a pretzel at 10am and some bits earlier at the taster it went straight to my head!

Whilst enjoying the cocktail “Rob” the chef came out with a tasting and to explain what we were about to enjoy

I just wish I could remember what it was!

next came the bread course. The table was large and we’d ended up sharing three lots of food between the group.

I explained to the group that I was planning on doing a write up so they didn’t think I was odd taking lots of pictures :P

first the dips

We got little plates to put the dips on which were cute but very impractical.

Next came the apps which again “Rob” came out to explain. I was looking forward to this as it was basically a sample of Jiko’s best sellers. It’s one of the courses they now serve individually rather than “family style”

Tibs in Brik

Jiko Salad

Crispy Duck Bobotie Roll

With it was served a very generous pour of accompanying wine. So generous in fact I struggled to finish it before the next course, but I managed!

Next came the entree’s and yet another generous pour of wine, I was now VERY lubricated!

Harissa Chicken and Saffron Broth

Maize-crusted Grouper with Tomato-Butter Sauce

Botswana-style Seswaa Beef Short Rib

Vegetable Confit with Tunisian Olive Oil

Jiko Macaroni Cheese

I got a nice little plate first to try everything.

By now I was starting to forget all about my unsuitable attire and with the group from the west coast we covered everything from Tokyo Disney, Downton Abbey, gun laws, elections and princess di (and whether camilla should be queen).

They said I had a “look” of Lindsay Lohan about me. I can only assume that similarity was that I was inappropriately dressed and drunk

yep that’s the one lol

The “southern couple” appeared a bit uncomfortable during the gun discussion. I got the impression they were a bit more pro than the west coasters, and even in my drunk haze I made sure to keep my thoughts as neutral as possible!

It was still a great discussion. It was especially great to hear what UK TV programmes they loved and why

The restaurant was now filling up with regular guests but I had a problem. I needed to visit the loos… at the opposite end of the restaurant. So I got up and walk over in the most nonchalant way I could muster in that direction. A streak of slow motion thigh wobble in a sea of polo shirts and slacks.

*This is how it looked in my head anyway…after 2 wines and a cocktail at least!

It didn’t of course. It looked like a loon in hot pants, go walks and a little mermaid sweatshirt sprinting through the restaurant avoiding all eye contact and looks of despair and sympathy.

Next came the Desserts and another glass of wine, a small sweet one thankfully!

Once again “Rob” came over to explain the desserts. But then I suddenly remembered the warm hugs! I’m not sure what I was hoping to achieve, but buoyant from my successful “shimmy” to the loos and back, I turn round to “Rob” who was standing behind me and said. “So Rob, I hear you like warm hugs, I was wondering when we got those?”

yep, silence. A silence mixed with “stunned silence” (Adam) and “horror” (Rob). I can’t remember exactly how I worded it but safe to say to this day Adam is still traumatised by the embarrassment and shudders at the mere mention of the event .

Oh well at least now THESE BABIES weren’t the most embarrassing part of the day!

I did try to explain that it was the other chef who had said we should mention it, but everyone else seemed to have forgotten and “Rob” was now looking at me like I might lunge for him to get said warm hug any minute. I didn’t, instead I stared red faced at the desserts whilst he explained them as if nothing had happened.

Malva pudding, Avocado Custard Cake & Ghanaian Chocolate and Kenyan Coffee Pot de Creme Tart

I was really full by this point so I really didn’t even make a dent in this. What I did have was nice though.

We spent a little time sipping the dessert wine and chatting with the other couples before the gift bags arrived and we decided to leave.

We paid up, said goodbye and headed into the foyer.

There was a photopass photographer there so we decided to grab a photos.

not a bad one really all things considered! Although had my eyes been focused and not glazed over from booze it may have looked a lot better...

The tree here was amazing!

It was only 9pm and the rain had stopped completely so we decided to try walking from Jambo House to Kidani rather than wait for a bus. It wasn’t as long as we thought and it was great walking up to the entrance in the dark with the lanterns lighting the way and the african choir singing carols (not a real choir… I wasn’t that drunk :P )

We checked in and picked up our luggage. They gave us a nice little “invitation” for the tour so it was a shame we only received it afterwards

As we were making our way to the room I was trying to work out where we were in relation to the sunset savanna, crossing everything that we weren’t heading towards the Pembe side!

We arrived and the room was gorgeous! Definitely the nicest decor so far and the bathroom was very roomie. I liked that the toilet was separate from the rest of the bathroom, a much better arrangement.

But obviously that wasn’t the best part, we were very excited to get out on the balcony to take a look.

We both went out and tried to get an idea of where we were. Adam wanted to stay outside but I was still “giddy” and wanted to explore a bit so headed back inside.

Expect I didn’t get inside… The door was in the way. Adam has shut it behind him, as you do, and I hadn’t realised. I’m not quite sure how it happened but Adam assures me it looked very much like this and was equally as hilarious

it went downhill from there..

me: ARGH?!?!?! ?!? ADAM I THINK I’VE BROKEN MY NOSE!
*opens door and falls onto the bed*
me: oh %££%^$& this is $%^£% painful OUCH OUCH OUCH!.
*runs to mirrors*
me: AHHH it’s bleeding! ADAM! the bridge of my nose if bleeding, oh god I’m going to get a black eye, the holiday is ruined! Adam I think I need ice, can you get me some ice please?
Adam: …..
me: ADAM?!?!
Adam: OOOO LOOK! A ZEBRA!

yep! my lovely caring husband had abandoned me in my hour of need, instead after the initial hilarity he’d gone back on the balcony to look for wildlife

And that kinda put a downer on the rest of the evening. The “plan” had been to go to MK for EMH or to change and visit the bar at Jambo house. But my nose was throbbing and i had a massive headache. So what turned into a few minutes of lying down and closing my eyes pretty much became me snoring my head off until I woke the following morning.

Oh well, at least Adam saw a Zebra

TODAYS SPENDS
Snack - two Pretzels - $10
Wanyama Safari Tour - $380 (tips were included)

TOTAL - $390

UPDATE
I completely forgot to post the contents of the goodie bag! so here we go :P

A recipe card

and obviously the ingredients!

A pin! because a tour isn't a disney tour without one!

and some chocolate!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW

Edited at 11:21 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds fantastic we're heading to AKL for the first time next year.
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm afraid I did have to stifle a chuckle!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

I thought the 'hugs' story was the highlight but then door/zebra happened

Amazing write up! And I love how they do exclusive tours and stuff for AKL guests... I really need to stay there one day! You've sold it well!
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

Absolutely fantastic TR. i have tears rolling down my face from laughing! Great day!
US 192 - Feb 1994; I-Drive- Feb 07; Fairfield Inn - June 10; Oakpoint Circle V - June 11; Homewood Suites - July 12; Calabay Parc V- June 14; Esprit Estates V - June 15; CBR - April 16; Hyatt Place, Drury's & Bridgewater V - Sept 16; CBR & V US27 - Apr 17; Eagle Pointe V - Nov 17; Lindfields V - Apr 18; Pop C- Nov 19; Universal & Cruise - Feb 20; Rosen Inn & PB- Nov 21; H2S I-Drive - Apr 22; SSR & HI S535 - Sept 22.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 15, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Ha ha honestly this has really cheered me up! Can just imagine the awkward silence after "warm hugs"😃 . Well done!
Old 29 May 15, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Buffton
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

As always, lots of laughs when reading your report! Tour looks great. Hope your nose was ok?! What was in your gift bag?!?!
Lizzie
Buffton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 15, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great read! Think Ben'd love 1 night at AKL on our next visit! Thanks for sharing. The walk into the door sounds painful :-(
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 15, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Another good one. Yes, the lady looked truly fed up. Food looks delicious. Poor nose.

Thanks for another entertaining read.
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List