Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 24 Jun 15, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Pinning for the Fjords - Prologue

This trippie really starts in October last year when we took our first Cruise, a 7 night once in a lifetime Eastern Caribbean adventure. I really expected it to be a once in a lifetime trip as my wife suffers badly from Motion sickness. It took me 4 trips to WDW before I could even get her to ride Soarin' and she has never done anything more intense vertically than that. She does do Test Track but that is just pure speed.

Well that trip was a blast, even thought she did get very sick on the way back from Puerto Rico and spent almost 24 hours in bed. But we did discover Dramamine and we had made such good friends with the rest of our table. 2 other couples, both in their forties with no children (just like us) with similar interests and sense of humour. But it was still a surprise when my wife suggested at the last nights meal that we should seriously do this again. But we all agreed and to make it real I ran up to the on board booking desk and we all signed up for some Disney Wonder cruise out of Miami but that was always a holding one. The plan was to cruise again in christmas 2016 as the American couple could not get any leave during 2016.

An so that is how we left it till Feb this year, when the realisation that we could not get an onboard discount to work for a cruise in late 2016 as that would be more than 24 months after we booked. So we all planned to wait but that would mean cancelling our booking. But what if we turned it into a sneeky cruise just for the two of us. And I had always wanted to go to Norway ever since Slartebartfast had described the work on building the Fjords on Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy, and the Magic would be sailing their this year and on my Birthday as well. Now European cruises seem much more expensive than the Caribbean ones, but with a Bonus we switched out the cruise non of us wanted and booked to go to Norway.

The Norway cruise started out of Copenhagen, but we had some BA Avios so the flights were sorted and a hotel before and after were booked.

The Full plan was to fly late afternoon to Copenhagen, get straight to the Hotel (SP34) and head straight to dinner at BROR which is a restaurant run by 2 chefs that used to work at Noma (one of the worlds top restaurants). The next day head to the Terminal and sail to Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen, before heading back to Copenhagen where we planed to have a day and a half sightseeing before flying back home on Sunday 14th June.

We actually only had 2 weeks between booking and the booking window opening for Silver Castaway club members to select their port adventures, so I was in full planning mode, and a week or so later we had a plan.

Stavanger - a Hike to Pulpit Rock
Alesund - Alesund Highlights
Geiranger - Sky to Fjord Bike Adventure
Bergen - Bryggen and Mount Floien
2nd day at Sea (my actual Birthday) - Dinner at Palo

So it was all planned we had checked in at the same time. Everything was printed out and ready, we just had to wait for the 5th June for the flight.

A couple of weeks before we were due to go we got a message from BA saying that our flight out had been cancelled and we would be moved to the 2:30 pm flight getting in 2 hours earlier but that was just a slight hiccup, we would have to have lunch at Heathrow rather than at home but we were ready to go to Copenhagen and on to the Fjords.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds fab! I am just back from a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords myself, but we went with P&O instead. Same ports, except we went to Skjolden rather than Alesund
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 15, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Would love to do this! Can't wait to read all about it
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 15, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Oooh looking forward to this one with you!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 15, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
looking forward to reading the rest of your trippie
Old 14 Sep 15, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Sounds interesting! I am a rotten traveller too, so looking forward to being encouraged by your adventures.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 15, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel princess
Very Serious Dibber

sounds great looking forward to reading yuor trippy

2005, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 (including Disney Cruise), 2017, 2018
Ariel princess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Reading this again now we have booked a cruise on the Magic!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List