General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Jul 15, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Pizzas, planning, & plenty of birthday fun! - Rome & Florence - June 2015 - Day 2

We were up at 7.30, a lie in compared to our florida holidays really!

Adam had picked our hotel because of it’s breakfast roof terrace so we headed up to check it out.

As it was early, the breakfast room was quiet and we were able to pick a nice table outside on the terrace.

Breakfast was a selection of continental options and a few hot options such as scrambled egg and bacon.

It was a shame that the colosseum was having work down, it did spoil the view somewhat!

Our only problem was that we were sharing the lovely terrace with these two

no amount of shooing would keep them away, you certainly had to be on your guard!

After breakfast we headed out towards the colosseum

We had a tour booked but I wanted to get inside before the queues started to build up.

We had the romapass but I struggled to find the entrance, I had to ask as there were a few different queues to choose from. Signage only started to become apparent once we got inside!

Because of the pass entrance was free (€15 usually), we skipped a reasonably sized queue and all I had to do was queue for a few minutes to pickup our tour tickets (€11 each, booked online). We were given a sticker showing where to meet and were told to get there 10 minutes before the tour was due to start.

With this in mind we headed out into the main section to take a look.

Wow, it was incredible, as it was still quiet you really got a chance to stand and take everything in. Although it was HOT. I still wasn’t used to the heat and I wasn’t relishing being outside for most of the day.

With 15 minutes until we were due to meet our tour I went to refill my water bottle (taps/fountains around the arena which is handy!) and nipped to the toilets (no queue!)

Then we headed to the meeting point. It looked like a full group, all americans apart from ourselves. First we were taken through to the reconstructed arena floor, The moment you walk through the arch way and into the arena you can imagine what a sight it must have been.

my selfie didn’t quite work! :P

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Next we were taken down to the underground area. This part of the tour was very short, and very small, I don’t know why but I had expected to be able to explore more of it, but you can only access the bits below the new floor then it’s shut off. It’s still very interesting though.

At the end we were given time to rest in the shade and take our own pictures, the shade was bliss!

We took some pictures, hot sweaty mess again!

Next we headed up and followed our guide around the public areas to get to the next section. This was a longer route due to the construction work and because the crowds were huge now.

Eventually we made it to the gate.

It was several flights to the top but it was worth it for the views, not just of the arena but also of the surrounding area.

looking down I spotted the queue (it was 10.30ish) this is why you book (or buy the roma pass!)

that was just to get in, the tour itself sold out 2 days after they went on sale, so check when they will be released and be ready!

our tour guide left us by the third level gate and you were free to explore. I’m glad we had done so earlier as there were now lots of people making it difficult to move.

We took a few more pictures, nipped to the toilets again (HUGE queue!) and headed out.

Our next stop was the forum and palatine hill so we crossed over the street and headed inside (again no queue using our romapass, this still counted as 1 ticket use with the colosseum)

Well what to say, everything was very interesting and there was some signage, but it was difficult to work out what was what and imagine things in situ. An in-depth guidebook or a tour would have really helped here I think.

There was one section where you could go inside a temple (now a church) and the relief from the sun was fantastic. everyone else had the same idea though so it was packed!

Next we refilled our water bottles (lots of fountains here!) and began the climb up to palatine hill

June 15-Rome & Florence
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 15, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The gardens up here were lovely and you got some great viewing points as you reached terraces on the climb.

Finally we reached the top and had a beautiful panoramic view of the city.

We rested a while in the shade after this and made friends with this little guy

While sitting I got out the app to try and work out where to head next. Ideally I wanted to be exiting palatine hill on the opposite side to where we entered, since this was the quickest way over to Dar Poeta in trastevere, which was where I wanted to grab lunch.

The problem with this plan was that exits are not well signposted, in fact I’m not sure if there is even more than one. So as it happened we ended up retracing our steps back down the hill to where we’d come in, and that was a LONG WAY from where we wanted to be.

Places to eat on my map were few and far between around the forum/colosseum area. With it being full of tourists those I had looked at hadn’t got great reviews on trip advisor. Because of this we decided to stick to our original plan and head to trastevere.

Although it was a long walk it was very pleasant.

A good 30 minutes later and we made it! This was one of the many times I was thankful for gps, we never would have found it otherwise!

This was the only place on the whole trip we visited that only took cash, we had a sudden sinking feeling on seeing this but luckily Adam has a few notes in his camera case!

We grabbed two pizza’s and two coke’s (€24)

The pizzas were lovely, the dough in particular. It was definitely worth the long walk.

First impressions of trastevere was that it was beautiful, a completely different feel to central rome. I couldn’t wait to spend more time there later in our holiday.

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 Jul 15, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Fed and watered we set off to the next destination, ThenCapitoline Museums. This was another bit of a walk but nowhere near as long as it had been on the way there!

All the walking and heat was getting to us a bit now, I was turning a very concerning shade of pink! We’d definitely pushed ourselves too far today. We sat outside for a few minutes to catch our breathe.

We used the final free entrance credit on our romapass to get in (€15 each usually).

This was a great museum, a very varied mix of architecture, sculpture and paintings

After the first building Adam gave in, he was shattered. He was getting bored and instead decided to sit outside and relax. I continued into the second building.

It was a shame Adam had given up, this was arguably the better of the two :P

It also houses some of the more famous exhibits

Finally when I thought I had reached the end the space opened out into an art gallery!

Even I was flagging now. Conscious that Adam has been left outside for over and hour I did a very quick circuit of the gallery before heading out.

I found him looking like a lost soul on the steps :P

We decided we could probably do with a break before heading out for dinner and so set off walking back to the hotel.

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 Jul 15, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Thankfully our dinner reservation wasn’t until 8pm but it was quite far away. Dreading yet more walking we decided to brave some public transport so once we made it back I used the hotel wifi to find out our options.

Unfortunately the bus was our only option. I really didn’t fancy taking the bus. That sounds like I’m allergic to public transport, that’s not the case. I think I had just read so many horror stories on pickpockets on buses that I was terrified!

Anyway I had a route from a stop just down the street so off we headed.

We were surprised as we left the hotel as it was raining, not heavily but big drops of rain.

We skirted the sides of buildings to try and keep out of it and even encountered a guy selling umbrellas, seriously don’t know where they come from, this wasn’t even a tourist area! It’s like their selfie stick transfigure into umbrella when rain touches them!

The bus stop was easy to find a few streets away but it was on a central reservation area with no cover. We huddled in a doorway across the street until we saw a bus coming and then legged it across the road and jumped on.

Possibly because of the time of day and the route the bus itself was quiet. I didn’t even feel vulnerable taking my phone out, I started to relax and stopped holding onto my bag as though it were my first born.

I knew from google how many stops we needed to go, and Adam and I were counting. I also watched progress via gps on my phone. We got really close, and I thought about getting off, but it was one more stop…. except it wasn’t, we crossed a bridge over to trastevere and then I knew we’d gone too far, dammit!

We got off at the next stop and crossed the road to get on the next bus going back. We probably would have walked had it not been for the rain, but the stop had a sign informing you of the next buses to arrive at the stop and so instead we waited the 5 minutes it stated in a shop doorway as shelter.

This bus lark was easy! Our romapasses covered us for travel but not once did we have to show it, in fact not once on any public transport apart from the metro did I ever see anyone pay a fare or show a ticket!

Anyway we headed back one stop and navigated our way to the restaurant, which tonight was Obica.

I liked the idea of trying somewhere different and this mozzarella bar sounded interesting!

We did the usual hanging around by the door until we are noticed dance before checking in. We tried to get a table outside and said we’d wait but apparently inside was our only option. We didn’t mind too much because of the rain and besides it was pleasant inside.

we chose the sharing platter to start with and a craft beer each

Then we had a pasta dish each

Cacio e Pepe for me

and a lasagne for Adam

Both were a little bit Meh

Adams in particular, it looked burnt!

We were really full so decided to pass on dessert and just got two espresso and the bill

The mini choc ice that came with the coffee was a welcome surprise though so we did kinda get dessert :P

Total bill was €64, not really worth it in our opinion.

Now as we were tired we should have headed straight back to the hotel, but me being me wanted to squeeze something else in first!

Across the street from Obica was a hotel with it’s own gin bar. Gin being my favourite tipple I really wanted to go here… so we did.

I had checked online to make sure they also did other cocktails, knowing Adam wasn’t keen on gin so everything was good.

The bar itself is located in the hotel lobby and when we arrived it looked very busy, not with tourists but locals, first impressions… we’d found a local “hipster haunt”

I looked around for a menu and could feel all eyes on us. I couldn’t find one and was feeling a bit uncomfortable and so determined to take control of the situation I grabbed two stools at the bar.

The barman arrived and said “Only bulldog” I must have looked at him as though he’d grown a second head because he clarified “special event, only bulldog tonight”

ok then, yes bring on the bulldog…whatever that is!

While we waited it started to make more sense, looking around I began to realise… we’d gatecrashed a launch party! oops! We got handstamps and everything :P

Still they didn’t mind. I asked Adam if he wanted to leave but he said no, he’d have gin, I felt pretty bad but he was trying!

Two massive cocktails arrived. A cocktail for adam, made with gin and several other shots of booze (no idea what they were other than lethal!) and a plain G&T for me, a HUGE one at that!

We started to enjoy our drinks and the launch party crowd left. Soon we were joined by an american family who’s little boy was mad on english football. Whilst I lost Adam in a football conversation (mainly how rubbish arsenal are and how he should pick another team to support!) I quizzed the rest of the group on florence where they had just been.

We got to the end of our cocktails and it dawned on me, I had no idea how much our drinks were, this could be a very nasty shock!

I asked for the bill though and was pleased to see it was only €18, very reasonable and I used the money Eeyorefanuk had sent me as a thank you for running our December photos share. So their you go Karen, we had a fab experience, thank you!

We were tempted to stay chatting and grab another but we knew we should be sensible as we had an early morning planned (shocker :P )

Instead we walked back to the bus stop, considering it was 11.30pm it was surprisingly busy with locals and students.

We arrived back at the hotel 20 minutes later having enjoyed another pleasant bus experience (spent discussing the ingredients required to make a slippery nipple with some american students) and hit the hay.

FIT BIT STATS

27,878 steps
49 floors
19.32 km

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 21 Jul 15, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

Lunchtime pizza looks delicious. I had to laugh at Adam going outside, I would have been with him.

Great trip report, as always
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 15, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

glad to see a trippie! Our on again off again trip seem to be back on so it will be great to have some ideas for plan
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 15, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
Lunchtime pizza looks delicious. I had to laugh at Adam going outside, I would have been with him.

Great trip report, as always
lol he'd had enough of museums and art already, little did he know...

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
glad to see a trippie! Our on again off again trip seem to be back on so it will be great to have some ideas for plan
ooo yay! I'm sure you'll have a fab time!

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 23 Jul 15, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jazzluvva
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Too much Art & Museums by the 2nd day? ! Blimey, the heavy stuff is still to come. - lightweight
jazzluvva is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 15, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jazzluvva View Post
Too much Art & Museums by the 2nd day? ! Blimey, the heavy stuff is still to come. - lightweight
hehe! I know!

June 15-Rome & Florence