Notices

Old 1 Sep 15, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
thepricefamily
Apprentice Imagineer

To New York & Beyond - Day 12 -13/8 Swimming, DTD, Captain's Grille & More Golf

After my mammoth day the plan was to have a lazy morning by the Turtle Pond pool, which was lovely until it started raining! We decided to go to DTD and do some shopping and have lunch, as we hadn't been to one of our favourites, Wolfgang Puck Express yet this holiday. We got the bus to DTD, as we wanted to be at the Marketplace side and went straight to Wolfgang's. We consider this one of the best counter services on property, and is a must do every holiday. I had the rosemary roast chicken & garlic mash - I've had this at least once on every Disney trip we've been on & it's always delicious. Mark had chicken salad sandwich and switched his side to sweet potato fries, Charlotte had BBQ chicken salad & Mackenzie had chicken aioli sandwich with fries. I couldn't have anything but creme brûlée here for dessert! We also had a cheesecake, fruit cup & brownie.

Oh my goodness that creme brûlée is the best, and I do love creme brûlée! The bill should've been $97 so a brilliant use of counter service credits. Everyone else thoroughly enjoyed their meals too, and we can't recommend this highly enough.
The children went back in the Pin Trading Shop - I wonder how many pins Disney sell each day, they must make a fortune on them!

After a bit more shopping & lego car building we stopped at Goofy's Candy Co. We were still full from lunch but had a good look at the treats on offer and Mark got some bags of sweets to take back to work. This is definitely the place to come if you have snack credits left at the end of your holiday.

As we didn't need to go over to the West Side today we got the bus back to OKW and relaxed before getting ready for tonight's ADR at Captain's a Grille at the Yacht Club. It was raining heavily now and we all hoped it would stop because as well as not wanting wet feet for another meal, we wanted to play miniature golf after our meal. A bus came for Hollywood Studios so we hopped in this with the plan to get the bus or boat to the Yacht Club. It can be a bit if a pain getting to other resorts, but I think you just need to be flexible and leave plenty of time. As we arrived at HS the rain had eased but it was still looking like it might restart. As we weren't rushing we stopped to take some photos and a passing bus driver offered to take one of the 4 of us, which we thought was kind of him.

Mark & Mackenzie said they were going to walk to the Yacht Club, but as it was starting to spit again Charlotte & I went on the boat. They beat us! We got off at the first stop, Swan & Dolphin, and met up with them before walking round to the Yacht Club. I would love to stay here in the future & we found Captain's Grille to be a real gem. I'd read about it in a trip report as we'd not come across it before. It's a single credit table service - we had considered Yachtsman's Steakhouse, but that's a signature & we didn't have enough credits, well we weren't disappointed.
Our server, Andi, was great. Really chatty, friendly & attentive but not over the top. She really explained the menu and specials well, and also said that they could make any substitutions or changes if we wanted. We didn't, but this was the first time we'd been offered this & I think it was great, especially with having children.
To start she brought out some lovely salted bread...

I think you only get the bread at the hotel restaurants - I don't think we'd been offered it at the park restaurants. Charlotte had a 'No-Jito', Mackenzie a strawberry lemonade, Pimm's Punch, (yum!) for me and a Cigar City brown ale for Mark. Andi brought out water for us all, and said that as Mark & I had not had a 'dining plan' drink we could have coffees after our meal or bottles of water to take away if we preferred.
We all chose different meals, crab cakes for Mark...

Mackenzie had the Chef's Pasta Creation, which was a rich beef & veal sauce, almost like a stew, with tagliatelle...

Can't believe he even ate all the rocket with it - something green that he likes! Mark had to help him finish this as it was very filling.
Charlotte had a chicken dish, sorry I've not noted any more details!

Finally, I had New York Strip Steak with the most delicious whipped potatoes with truffle oil, soooo good!

Desserts were all different too. Mark had Apple & Cheddar Cobbler, I know, cheddar cheese, I felt like we were in a Peter Kay sketch - cheese, with apple, in a cobbler?! ? He said it was a lovely hearty pudding!

Cheesecake for Charlotte - she is a bit of a cheesecake connoisseur! This was beautifully presented with a chocolate gelato...

Mackenzie had the S'mores Tart, another big hit!

Sorry the S'mores Tart photo seems to be upside down!
I had Gianduja Chocolate Cake - this was amazing, rich & creamy but not sickly. Mark had an espresso & I had a cappuccino which was a lovely way to end a near perfect meal.

We gave this meal a resounding 10/10 for all aspects, from service, taste & choice. It will now be a must do on any trip, and all the more reason to stay at the Yacht Club in future!
We settled the bill for our drinks and the well earned gratuity in cash - more about this tomorrow! Before we left we looked around the hotel and their lovely quiet & peaceful shop! Think Mackenzie looks very presidential here...

When we came out the rain had stopped, hurray! So we walked over to Fantasia Golf to see if we could get on following the long wait the other day when we didn't stay. The 'crazy golf' side was an hour's wait, but the Fairways side was quiet so we could go straight on. We've not done this before so didn't know if it would be too hard, but we all really enjoyed it & it made a nice change. Much more of a challenge than Winter Summerland, but still fun. However, I don't think it would've been any good if Mackenzie was much younger - he's 11 and I think it would've been too hard & he'd have got bored. It took us 1hr 20mins - before we started the man said it would be between 60 & 90 minutes, so he was spot on. An added bonus was we got to see the Fantasmic fireworks, Frozen fireworks & Illuminations in the distance while we were playing! Here's a selection of photos...

Mark trying to retrieve Charlotte's lost ball!

After the golf, which Mark won, again, we had a wander round the Boardwalk and got some yummy pastries from the bakery for tomorrow's breakfast. To get back to OKW we got the boat from the Boardwalk to HS then the bus back and we were home about 11.30. We've had a lovely day!
Tomorrow, Animal Kingdom, DTD, Disney Quest, thunderstorms, Olivia's & discrepancies!

HRH Club Level & AKL Savannah Club Level 2020
thepricefamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by thepricefamily - 1 Sep 15 1:42 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Avani's_mum
Getting Excited

Awwww love love love the photo of you and Charlotte! Beautiful! Lol made me chuckle...apple and cheddar! Haha xxxxxx

FLORIDA =1994.1996.1998.1999.2001.2007.2008.2014.2016.2018
Avani's_mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 15, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Maybe I need to come on holiday with you all to test The Yacht Club so Mark is happy for you to come on holiday with us!
Another great day, love the photos of the Boardwalk all lit up.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 15, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
thepricefamily
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Maybe I need to come on holiday with you all to test The Yacht Club so Mark is happy for you to come on holiday with us!
Another great day, love the photos of the Boardwalk all lit up.
What a great idea, perfect plan!
HRH Club Level & AKL Savannah Club Level 2020
thepricefamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good day your evening meal sounded lovely

Joan
Old 4 Sep 15, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post

im starving
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List