VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
New York - August '15 First Timers!

We're just back from my 60th birthday trip to New York, we loved it! We stayed at the Westin Times Square for 5 nights, booked with VHols and flew Newcastle to Newark with United. The Westin was great, lovely views from the king bed 34th floor room and lots of little extras in the room. With Virgin we got $150 hotel room credit and free wifi too. Shula's Steakhouse was closed, but there was a breakfast room and Bar10 lounge. Transfers from Newark were very easy using the airport bus direct to the Port Authority which was 2 mins from the hotel, we bought return tickets for $25pp in the airport. Unfortunately the outbound flight was delayed by 5 hours which pretty much took care of our first day in NY as we were due to land at midday. We used the subway to get around and it was easy to use, but we did stick to one route! We were lucky to have 6 days of hot sun, which always helps.

Over the holiday we visited:
Times Square most days as we were right there.
Empire State Building - prebooked express tickets, and were given wristbands so we didn't queue for anything.
Statue of Liberty - prebooked pedestal entry through Statue cruises, lots of people got to the island not realising that entry had to be prebooked.
The Intrepid Museum - which DH loved, and the Museum of the American Indian.
The Parks - Bryant, Battery and Central Park - we loved the Tavern on the Green, gorgeous charcuterie, wine and jazz in the sun! The war memorial statues in Battery Park are worth checking out, as is the marina right along the embankment and it's a lovely walk along there.
Rockefeller Plaza, so lovely with the fountains, and St Patrick's Cathedral.
NY Public Library - we enjoyed a photography exhibition in there.
Grand Central Terminal - amazing, and the farmers food and flower market in there is fab.
We did an excellent walking tour of the history of Lower Manhattan, 2 (and a bit) hours with a local guide. 'Free Tours by Foot' - you pay what you think it's worth at the end. It was worth quite a bit!
New Amsterdam Theatre to see Aladdin - fabulous show, great seats on the mezzanine AA1 and 3.

Meals:

I had my birthday meal at The View, which was pre booked online, it's the revolving restaurant on the 48th floor of the Marquis hotel, which is a limited menu but was a wonderful 3 courses, and I was given a small birthday cake by the excellent waiter. The views of the sun setting on the buildings were lovely.
We also ate at Ellen's Stardust Diner - atmosphere and entertainment amazing, but we felt the food was very mediocre, and you are so close to fellow diners that the tables are touching and need moving to let one of you out.
Virgils BBQ - good food and a great conversation with a NY couple on the next table.
Applebee's - the usual pancakes and French toast for breakfast, and a very good tilapia for dinner.
The Westin (as we had credit) - a very overpriced breakfast buffet; and some great steak tips and cocktails in Bar10.
Stone Street Biergarten - what a great cobbled street, like a big street party!
Delis for breakfasts and snacks - Speedys, Cucina and Crumbs were all fab, and ColdStone Creamery for ice cream.
The best meal was organised by our family - a surprise Sunday Brunch at the Rainbow Room on the 65th floor of the Rockefeller Centre. All I can say is Wow! I'll post pics of it separately.

New York - we will be back 😊🗽🇺🇸. Here are just a few of our photos, starting at the top with the view along 43rd Street to the Hudson River from our room.

DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by MrsBC - 3 Sep 15 9:27 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like an fantastic trip! We are also just back from our 1st visit and were wowed by just about everything - what an amazing city xx
Old 3 Sep 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Sounds amazing! We go next July, is the weather very hot in summer?

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Fabulous photos, looks like you had an amazing birthday trip. So excited to see you visited Tavern on the Green, I remember reading about it when I was little. We have booked The View for a meal, I hope the weather is good and we get to watch the sun set. You seem to have fitted loads in to your trip, I look forward to reading more.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
Sounds amazing! We go next July, is the weather very hot in summer?
It was around 85 deg and very sunny right through our trip. Not too hot to walk around in though.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Awww I get quite emotional looking at these. Fabulous. We too spend our second trip to New York in July there. First time was two years ago in November. We took our children this time enroute to New York. I love it in July! gorgeous weather! not to muggy or hot! just stunning. I would go back every year if I could that's how much I love it x
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Fabulous photos, looks like you had an amazing birthday trip. So excited to see you visited Tavern on the Green, I remember reading about it when I was little. We have booked The View for a meal, I hope the weather is good and we get to watch the sun set. You seem to have fitted loads in to your trip, I look forward to reading more.
The View restaurant was lovely, but if poss request a table on the upper floor. We were down the stairs and the view was great (lovely night) but was spoiled a bit by seeing the platform directly outside, which you won't see from upstairs.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
Old 3 Sep 15, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Wow, fab photos! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Looking forward to hearing about the Rainbow Room as you don't really see much about that.
jocat is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 15, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Wow, fab photos! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Looking forward to hearing about the Rainbow Room as you don't really see much about that.
I've posted a separate photo report, it was amazing.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX