Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 Sep 15, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Our food-filled Disneymoon (with added road trip and New Orleans!) - April/May 2015 **COMPLETE**

Hi everyone! After finding the dibb a few weeks ago and becoming a bit *ahem* obsessed with all the amazing trip reports and food reports, I thought I'd have a go at doing my own. I don't have photos of everything we ate but we'll see how it pans out!

The Cast

Me (Helen) - 33 - Eats anything but mushrooms and oysters
Him (Ainge) - 31 - Eats most things but hates oysters, mussels, coffee, pork crackling (!) and cinnamon in particular

We've known each other for 15 years, been together for almost 4 years and we got married at the end of March this year.

This is us (yes, my wedding bag was a burger!):

He'd been to WDW once before, when he was about 13. I went 4 times between the ages of 8-15 and absolutely loved every moment. We decided that after almost a 20 year gap, it was time for some Disney magic as part of our honeymoon! We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort for 7 nights, with free DDP, and then had 3 nights at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in LBV. We then did a 4 night road trip through Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana and ended our amazing trip with 7 nights in New Orleans. We were away for 22 nights in total and it was the most amazing holiday of our lives.

I've definitely been feeling a bit down every since we got back so hopefully this will enable me to re-live it a bit!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream

Edited at 04:03 PM.
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 15, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
StinkyHermit
Getting to know the DIBB

Looking forward to this one!
Old 14 Sep 15, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Day 1 - Travel day and Biergarten

We were on the 11am flight from Manchester Aiport and, as my parents only live 15 minutes from the aiport we stayed with them the night before and my lovely Dad gave us a lift to the aiport at about 8am. Breakfast was the first thing on our minds (food is always on my mind) so we headed to The Spinning Jenny in Terminal 2. I had a glass of prosecco (I never can turn down prosecco) and he had a pint of... something.

We both had the breakfast burger (Lincolnshire sausage patty in a toasted brioche bun with potato rosti, fried egg and smoked chilli ketchup) and it was pretty damn amazing! Not the cheapest at £7.50 but well worth it and we were on honeymoon after all!

Our flight got a bit delayed so we decided a couple of drinks were in order. We had a couple of fruit ciders each (about £4.75ish per bottle) and then it was finally time to board!

We had a window seat and a middle seat towards the back of the plane (this was in my pre-dibb days and I didn't even know you could reserve seats so far in advance!) and the menus were soon handed out. Drinks and pretzels were also served (love those pretzels). Gin for me and a beer for him.

I chose the Spanish chicken and he chose the beef. Both were actually surprisingly tasty. There was also a salad with orzo, bread, Boursin and a gorgeous little Gu chocolate orange ganache pudding. So good. I also had wine, obviously

Afternoon tea was served later on in the flight. I had the cheese wrap and he had chicken and bacon wrap. Both were actually pretty good although I made the mistake of looking at the calorie content and mine was SO high. Really don't know why I bothered looking, given that we were off to America for 3 weeks! Both came with the usual crisps and a little rocky road type bar.

We also had the ubiquitious mini Fab ice lollies, but I don't think anyone needs to see a picture of those

We were both absolutely stuffed after our breakfast and then plane food but I'd made the mistake of making an ADR at Biergarten, thinking we would be starving! We got through immigration fairly quickly and our cases were almost first off the plane. Unfortunately we then had quite a long wait for the Magical Express and, by the time we'd checked in at CBR and got our cases to the room, we had to make a run for the Epcot bus in order to make our ADR. Luckily we made it to Germany in the WS right on time and checked in with the host. We were given a buzzer and went for a little wander, trying to take it all in (we were absolutely shattered by this point and it all felt a bit surreal). I hadn't been to Epcot for almost 20 years and couldn't believe that it still felt so familiar to me.

We had a short wait and were then seated on a table with a grumpy American couple and a grumpy American family of 4. There wasn't much conversation on our table sadly but we had a great time and tried to make the most of the buffet. The sausages and schnitzel in particular were great and he loved the desserts (he's a total dessert fiend). I don't have any photos of the food unfortunately as it was quite dark in there and by that point I was starting to fade out! I'd love to go back to Biergarten and actually do the buffet justice next time we go. The only photo I have is this delight... (I promise one of those is mine! I had the Schöfferhofer Pink Grapefruit Hefeweizen and it was AMAZING)

We left Biergarten just as Illuminations was finishing and it was nice to see a bit of it. We were absolutely knackered and really struggling by this point though so we opted to head to the bus and straight back to CBR for some lovely sleep

Edited at 04:19 PM.
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 15, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Originally Posted by StinkyHermit View Post
Looking forward to this one!
Thankyou! I wish I had pictures of everything but I wasn't a dibber back then
Old 14 Sep 15, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
StinkyHermit
Getting to know the DIBB

Not to worry! Looks like you have a steady hand with the camera so some good pictures to come! Always a bonus when the picks aren't blurry! aha
Old 14 Sep 15, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Fab start to your report, looking forward to reading more
Old 15 Sep 15, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
lisahump
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Great start, I can't wait to read the rest 😋
lisahump is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 15, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Day 2 - Magic Kingdom and DTD

We were up horribly early (4.30am ) today due to jet lag so decided to go for a walk around the lake at CBR and watch the sunrise. I grabbed a coffee from the room for the walk.

We were due to go to Typhoon Lagoon today but the weather report wasn't great so we decided to head to MK. We got there early and did a few rides with no queues at all. Hunger then kicked in so we headed to Cosmic Ray's for a "snack." These were chilli fries (topped with plastic cheese and extras from the toppings bar) and I think they were about $5.00, so a good use of a snack credit.

A few more hours later, and after getting drenched on Big Thunder Mountain, we decided it was lunch time. Pecos Bill was close by so we ducked in there and grabbed a 1/3lb Angus bacon cheeseburger for me and a deluxe chicken sandwich for him, both with fries. Plus a chocolate milk for him, a giant soda for me and a chcolate cake and carrot cake for dessert. We are not big dessert eaters and soon got a bit overfaced by the desserts included with each DDP meal! We used two QS credits on this meal and it was actually really really good. I loved the burger.

We headed back to CBR mid-afternoon and went for another wander around the resort, stopping to buy a couple of drinks at the food court. Beer for him and a Lime-a-rita for me, which we drank sitting on one of the resort beaches. The Lime-a-rita was horrendously expensive on site and we later found 25oz ones off site for a 1/3 of the cost of the tiny ones on site!

We had an ADR at T-REX booked for tonight and after a bit of an arduous bus journey (our worst of the whole holiday!) we were running late and had to leg it through DTD to make it in time. There was a massive queue to check in but it moved fairly quickly and we were seated pretty speedily after that. Our server was a bit scatty, to say the least. He was pleasant enough but very forgetful and it was hard to get his attention when we wanted drink refills, etc. We had a shark water (sprite with blue coconut syrup) and a very-cherry limeade to drink. To eat, Ainge had the Boneyard Buffet (fire-roasted chicken and slow-roasted St. Louis style pork spareribs, served with waffle fries and coleslaw) and I had a special. I can't find any details of what it was online but, from memory, it was a strip steak, shrimp and vegetable skewer, shrimp and scallops in a cheesy sauce and wild rice. I LOVED this and pretty much cleared the plate. The Boneyard Buffet was absolutely massive and Ainge struggled to finish it. I'm not ashamed to say I had some of his chicken and waffle fries

For dessert we had the Ice Age Indulgence (for two), which was layers of ice cream sandwiches, fudge sauce, creamy whipped topping and Heath Bar crunch. This was massive and I think we only managed about half. No photo, sorry

Overall, we loved the decor of T-REX and the food was great. The staff were a bit forgetful and seemed harrassed. It was absolutely rammed when we went though, so service might be better when it's a bit quieter. We would definitely return though!

Edited at 04:27 PM.
Old 15 Sep 15, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Fab start to your report, looking forward to reading more
Thankyou! Loads more to come
Old 15 Sep 15, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisahump View Post
Great start, I can't wait to read the rest 😋
Thanks for reading!