Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jul 16, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Mako - the ride experience from a reserved Brit.

inline imageI have just got back from a short trip to Florida where theDIBB was given exclusive access to the rides and also members of staff at the various parks to give interviews on video.

It was my first time of interviewing anyone on camera. There were no scripts. No rehearsed questions and no professional recording equipment. We just used GoPros and a hand-held video camera without external microphones.

Being a reserved British gentleman (although my wife will question the gentleman part ) I am not your over enthusiastic, arm waving, screaming, hyped up person that you normally see on these videos. But hopefully you will appreciate the time and effort that went into these days. I would also like to especially thank the various team members at the parks who treated me like a VIP for the 4 days and couldn't do enough to help.

Mako is the newest, fastest, tallest rollercoaster in Orlando. It is known as a Hyper-coaster. So what does that mean? The definition of a hyper coaster is that it is 200ft tall, which is exactly what Mako is. With speeds of up to 74 mph and just a lap restraint, you do actually feel secure. The good thing about this is that it does allow some movement so you lift off the seat to experience the "Air Time" that is mentioned so much.

The theming of the area is superb. The designers have done a great job in making the ride fit in with the sharks reef area. There are plenty of learning opportunities too, with a lot of information boards around with various facts and stats on sharks and their role in the ecosystem. Don't miss out on these and just think it is a ride only. I have made this error before and totally ignored the messages conveyed around the area. There is an expression, stop and smell the roses, so take time to read what is around the parks as you are never too old to learn new things.

There are lockers available to rent at the ride entrance as you will not want to take anything loose on the ride itself. There are also places on the ride exit barriers where you can store small items like flip flops or sun glasses. But it is not a secure location so you would not want to put your phone or camera there.

There is also a seat outside the ride that allows you to test it for size and whether you feel comfortable with the restraint system.

Along with the ride restrictions so you know exactly what you can and can't do.

The entry area has a great effect with sharks swimming overhead. Look up at the blue ceiling as the sharks swim about.

Onto the ride and the interview with Brandon, one of the animal ambassadors at SeaWorld.

What did I think of the ride? My reserved British face might not have conveyed how fun this ride was. The height of that first hill is immense. The view from the top, however brief, is amazing. The speed at which you come down that first incline is breathtaking. Then the fun part with the twists and turns dashing around the track. The "Air Time" seems to go on and on. You really do feel like you are flying.

So it is a big thumbs up from me and I really can't wait to go on it again. Three times in a row is simply not enough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mako.jpg
Views:	93875
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	63613  
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Fantastic review, the photos are fab! (I will watch the video on my lunch break )

I must admit I am very apprehensive about the lap bar, but good to hear it feels secure! I can't wait to get back out there and ride on this!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
secretivemum
Imagineer

Not a chance of getting me on this but at least I'll be able to learn all about sharks whilst I'm waiting for everyone else to ride!
secretivemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Moogles Smith
slightly serious Dibber

Great report and video, looks quality.

Thanks SMAX.

DVC Owner - Polynesian
Moogles Smith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Caulky
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness! That's a lot of air-time! Do I need to take a cushion?!
Caulky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Fantastic review thanks so much for sharing it... We were there in April and it looked impressive then and it wasn't complete ...they put the shipwreck in whilst we were there and we went and watched the exhibition they were doing about the ride.
I'm not a fan of roller coasters that go upside down so this is more up my street... But you do come out of your seat an awful lot which makes me jittery lol.
The comment about taking everything in around you ... My youngest daughter has autism and loves to learn , this sort of theming at a lot of rides these days is perfect for her.
Hope I get to go back and experience this.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Nice review!

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rikki
Helping Mickey

Brilliant work SMAX. What an awesome insight to sharks and the ride itself. Great interview and hoping to see more in the future?

Rikki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Wow, the video is fab! Oh my, that first climb... so high! And lots of bum-out-of-seat moments! Eeeeek, I cannot wait to ride this!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 16, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looks fantastic, can't wait to try it in September!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List