Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Aug 16, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Discovery Cove Dolphin Swim

inline imageEpisode 6 of theDIBB four SeaWorld Parks tour brings me on to the main reason people want to visit Discovery Cove. Yes the Dolphin Swim.

Dolphins always seem to captivate humans and we often feel an attraction or bond to these amazing creatures. They never fail bring a smile to anyones face. I think that is because they always look like they are happy and smiling themselves.

Discovery Cove is a lush tropical oasis and you can easily think you are on some tropical island in the Caribbean rather than in Orlando. They have done an amazing job of making it the perfect relaxing day. From the luxury changing rooms with towels, suncream and shower gels. To the all inclusive dining and drinks and snacks all day. But the dolphin swim has to be top of the list for things you will talk about on your return.

When you check in to Discovery Cove you are assigned a swim time along with one of three cabanas you need to register at just before your swim time. I was in Seahorse Cabana for my orientation.

Once inside you have to sign the normal disclaimer and you will have already been assigned a group for the swim. I was in group D. There are around 8 people in each group. There will then be a talk by a trainer on what to expect along with a video.

You are then taken by group down to the lagoon for the swim where you are introduced to your trainers.

There will be two trainers assigned to your group. For your dolphin swim you can either choose to stay in the shallows or go into deeper water for a longer dolphin tow. I always opt for the deep water tow myself. You cannot sink in those wetsuits as they provide so much buoyancy so don't worry about that.

We were introduced to Roxy, a female dolphin in her teens. She also has a baby at Discovery Cove.

Roxy was quite playful and seemed to love the interaction with us all. She is especially good at posing for the camera. I did get a special shot as the trainer said if I put my knees underneath her so she was laying across my lap I could then support her weight so she could then get her tail out of the water for that classic dolphin curl. I am really pleased with the way this turned out.

The following video will show you more of the interactions and what to expect for the whole swim experience. It also includes an interview with Lauren, a trainer at Discovery Cove.

Once you have finished the swim you can go into another cabana to sort out any photos and videos you want to purchase. They do various options and packages.

Another great day out at Discovery cove. Memories I will treasure.

Ep1 - Mako
Ep2 - Cobra's Curse
Ep3 - SeaWorld Rescue
Ep4 - SeaVenture at Discovery Cove
Ep5 - Falcon's Fury at Busch Gardens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dc.jpg
Views:	83752
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	63655  
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

What a fab day, I absolutely love Discovery Cove! Thank you for sharing all your brilliant SeaWorld adventures
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Looks great SMAX and considering this for next year.

Quick questions if I may ...

Would you advise booking the Elite package up front and getting the photo/video package included? or paying the extra on the day?

Also, would all party members need to be Elite if taking part as a group? or does only 1 need to upgrade for the photo/video etc.? (assuming everyone)
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I've never done this but looking at this has me think maybe I should next visit 😊

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Twinklestar1
VIP Dibber

Twinklestar1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mermaids1960 View Post
I've never done this but looking at this has me think maybe I should next visit 😊
Hi - yes me too. Looks amazing - thanks for posting SMAX.
Twinklestar1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Roxy was my Dolphin when I did the swim last year
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamcatcher
slightly serious Dibber

Absolutely great place and a fantastic day , we swam with Roxy last year it was brilliant and our son 6yrs at the time loved it.

Booked again for next year so maybe hope to say hi to Roxy and Astro again xx
dreamcatcher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 16, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
andmoreagain
Getting Excited

Thanks SMAX! We're heading to Discovery Cove next month so I LOVE reading about visits to the park.

May 2011 - Lake Wilson Preserve Villa
March 2014 - Lake Wilson Preserve Villa
October 2016 - Rosen Inn Universal/HRH/Lake Wilson Preserve Villa
andmoreagain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 16, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Discovery Cove Ultimates are our must buy ticket. We didn't do it first visit, but have on every subsequent one. We are now planning and buying trip no8. Whilst this is 'must do', have bought into Disney 3 times and Universal 6 times out of the 8.

We have swum with Dolphins, but contrary to Smax and his really good post, no longer bother, finding that we would sooner spend that hour and a half (with briefing) elsewhere in the park.

Next Easter is £162 for an ultimate non swim. We eat immediately on entry, eat an early lunch and then cram in an early tea whilst drinking soft drinks only. We generally get a couple of seaworld S , a couple of Aquaticas and at least one Busch Gardens out of the ticket. With a DC ultimate, all carparking now also comes free at these parks.

The savings to be made are thus remarkable.
Food and drink for a day is normally app £70
5 or 6 days free parking at $15 or so a day..£60
Admissions for 14 days at SW BG and AQ... Lots.

..and then you get the swimming in the Ray pool, the interactions with animals etc

It is simply IMHO the best ticket in Florida!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

We didn't find the dolphin swim that special to be honest. Probably great for young kids though. It's too much briefing and standing in the water, and not much actual swimming with dolphins for my liking

SeaVenture is cheaper and in my opinion much more interesting. I've done that twice though and won't do it again for a while.

We will always go to Discovery Cove every time we visit, and not because of the amazing 14 days at the other parks deal. DC is, as everyone says, such a relaxing day, and a great break from the hectic days we spend at the other parks.

We've booked our 2017 DC slot before we've even booked the flights

I didn't realise the ultimate gives free parking at those parks (thanks cornishfrogboy for the tip). Has it always been that way?!? I was last there in 2014 and I cannot remember.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List