Old 5 Sep 16, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Can I really do a trippie? August 2016 - Day 0 - Pre Travel day - To Manchester

Index is here (hopefully!)

Pre Travel Day 0 - To Manchester

August 19th 2016

I love this day! I think I am at my most excited on this day, all the months waiting, all the planning and the holiday is so close I can almost smell that Florida smell.

This was the first time in all of our trips that Andy and I, and in fact the boys too, were not at work or at school (our last trip was in the Christmas Holidays so we drove to the airport after school and work). So it really did feel as if our holiday started here.

We were all awake early, even Dan was up at 06.00. At this point I had not started packing, I had collected clothes from drawers and made a pile next to the cases, but breakfast was the current priority and as the cupboards were bare, it had to be McDonalds.

Then onto the packing. We had debated buying some new suitcases as we have a mishmash of shapes, sizes and colours, with and without wheels. We weren’t sure when we would next use them though so borrowed some from Mum and Dad. They have a very lovely matching set which the small cases fit inside the larger ones, so I could pack the small case and then put it inside the bigger one in order to only take two cases out but bring four back. After checking that they fit in the boot of the car I realised we would have room for another – bonus! So split all our clothes across 3 cases. I intended not to take too many clothes as we have laundry facilities in the villa so I can wash and leave space for ‘souvenirs’.

Whilst I was packing, Andy took our dog, Hershey, to the kennels. On our last visit to Orlando we found the Woof Gang Bakery in Celebration and bought her a new collar and lead, we were looking forward to a return visit to buy her a new set... it’s lasted well, almost 5 years!

I then cleaned the house, changed the bedding (that’s the law), cleaned the kitchen floor with a dishcloth...really should invest in a better system...or mop and bucket... Emptied the fridge of any perishables and we left home just after 1pm, called in at Mum and Dad’s to drop them a key and the exciting contents of the fridge. Can’t remember now what they were, probably cheese & mushrooms – very exciting!

The journey to Manchester, which should take just over 2 hrs (M6 virtually all the way) actually took 4 hours . Apart from the section on the M6 toll it was solid traffic all the way to the airport. Very miserable and rainy, stop start all the way but we didn’t mind as we’re on holidayyyyyy! We were listening to Radio 1 and they were playing summer mixes everyday throughout the holiday. The one that came on this day was brilliant, it was a really great selection of songs and we were all singing along at the top of our voices. That was the best half hour of the journey. I’ve just found it on the website, it’s called Party Bus, starts with the Venga Boys and includes Queen, Dolly Parton and Summer Nights from Grease, very cheesy but it’s a great memory. Andy could barely contain himself when S Club 7 came on

We had booked car parking at the airport and found the car park easily, it was a very busy car park and quite tight to manoeuvre around (I’m glad I wasn’t driving up the ramps). We were parked on level 11 and I took a photo to remind us of this...might be useful on our return...

We headed to the terminal to do sundown check-in. We found the Thomas Cook desks easily but accidentally - I think I just turned the right way! Got checked in and then had to take the cases to the oversize desk (as instructed by TC check in person). We went along and gave them to the chap, he put the first one on the conveyer belt and as it went through he said ‘Oh, you’re going tomorrow...’ hmm...would that be the last we saw of that case!

We were then a bit lost. We’d booked the night at the Hilton but didn’t know how to get there. We wandered around a bit aimlessly for a few minutes. We’re not used to Manchester Airport as we’ve gone from Gatwick the last few times and I didn’t find the signage great at Manchester.

I found an assistance desk which I think was mainly for mobility assistance but asked how we get to the Hilton and she said you go downstairs and the phones are there to request the shuttle. We were on level 5 so I said ‘where downstairs’ but I just got the same reply ‘downstairs’, and was offered a look that said ‘don’t ask me to elaborate’, so I offered one back that said ‘have a nice day’. I didn’t know there was only one downstairs! I think I may have also muttered reasonably loudly that I was looking forward more to the very helpful & friendly Florida folk! Anyway we found the phones and called the Hilton who told us where to wait which we found easily and didn’t wait long for the shuttle bus.

I had booked the room at the Hilton using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. I had the email confirmation and produced this at the check-in desk but he then asked me for the Tesco voucher? I went cold as I hadn’t brought anything else. I’m still not sure if I ever had a voucher but I assured him that I had not received one & the email was all I had. He said they have lots of problems with Tesco so it would be fine. Phew!

We booked a meal in their restaurant for the evening, booked a shuttle back to the terminal for 7am and established breakfast was from 4.30am, so we’d have time for a decent breakfast. I think by this time it was 18.45 so we booked the meal for 19.00 as we were hungry! We quickly dropped the overnight bag in the room, which had two double beds and a single sofa bed, it was very nice,

and then went straight down for tea (supper/dinner), we shared some focaccia with oil and vinegar to start with and then all had pizza, Andy and Josh had BBQ meat feast, Dan had cajun chicken and I had goats cheese and caramelised onion. They were lovely but huge and mine was very rich. I don’t think any of us ate it all - we should have shared a couple really. Andy had a couple of beers and I had 2 red wines, the bill came to £103 (ouch – that wasn’t in the food budget!)

We were shattered so had an early night and set the alarm for 5am & with Florida butterflys fluttering

Edited at 09:31 PM.
i love jack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Brilliant start the pizza does look huge looking forward to reading about your holiday

Joan
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Goat's cheese and caramelised onion - sounds delicious

In training for Sweet Tomatoes obviously

Mick
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Lovely start x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Great start, it's the best feeling on earth once you get to the airport, you have captured that excitement so well in your report .

So looking forward to reading along especially as we were out there at the same time ( two days ahead of you )

Linda x
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
emma4g63
Imagineer

emma4g63's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile

Fab start looking forward to more xx

2016 BOOKED- SSR-Aoa-HRH-BWV-AKL
2014 September SSR and Dibb villa
2012 Hampton lakes with the family and our little princess
2010 trip cut short... R.I.P Dad (i will love you forever)
Tuscan hills 2009
emma4g63 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Goat's cheese and caramelised onion - sounds delicious

In training for Sweet Tomatoes obviously

Mick
Sweet Tomatoes

Mick I hope you didn't charge Emma suitcase hire
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you just hope I can make it interesting reading
And sweet tomatoes? Do they do steak?
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Thank you just hope I can make it interesting reading
And sweet tomatoes? Do they do steak?
Ha Emma, no steak but they do a wonderful selection of lettuce leaves I was spoilt for choice
Old 5 Sep 16, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Ha Emma, no steak but they do a wonderful selection of lettuce leaves I was spoilt for choice
Haha Sounds awesome how I wish I'd gone