Notices

Old 26 Sep 16, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

An afternoon at the Food and Wine Festival

I had an afternoon at the 2016 Food and Wine Festival, although, as I was driving there, was no wine but I did allow myself a small measure of Two Henry's Blueberry Vanilla American Wheat Ale (and very nice it was too!).

Craft Beers - Piggy Wings: Fried Pork wings with Korean BBQ sauce and sesame seeds ($4.25)

The pork was tender and fell away from the bone, the sauce was sticky with a subtle oriental flavour and the sesame seeds added a little additional texture. Very nice.

Mexico - Taco de Camarón: Battered shrimp served over a flour tortilla with crispy purple cabbage and chipotle mayonnaise ($5.75).

A small portion for the price, the cabbage added a nice crunch but the chipotle mayonnaise was the overwhelming flavour.

Okay, not a Food and Wine festival offering, but I cooled down with an American Dream (Raspberry and Strawberry slushies with Vanilla soft serve ice cream - $4.75).

Belgium - Beer braised beef served with smoked Gouda mashed potatoes ($4.75).

The beef was melt in the mouth tender and the cheese added a nice tang to the potatoes. It was rounded off by a very flavourful gravy.

Ireland - Seafood fisherman's pie ($6.50) and warm chocolate pudding with Irish Cream liqueur custard ($3.75)

The fisherman's pie was a real let-down. A small portion for the price and really lacking in flavour. The sauce tasted like a watered down vegetable soup and it lacked seasoning. I love fish pie but this was a disappointment.
The chocolate pudding was almost a fondant with a soft but not quite runny interior and a good chocolate flavour. I could taste absolutely no liqueur in the custard, which was very bland.

Scotland - Traditional Scottish lamb stew with neeps and parties ($4.75).

Very tasty and very good value for a decent sized serving. Stews seem to be well done at the festival, possibly because the flavours develop as they sit in the bain-marie. Second favourite dish after the beef from Belgium.

Greece - Oikos Greek yogurt vanilla cake soaked in ouzo with yogurt whipped cream and ouzo ($3.50).

A very dense cake with absolutely no flavour of ouzo at all, yet alone being soaked in it. It needed the cream to lighten it a bit. Not one to rush back for unless they find the booze.

Hawai'i - Kalua Pork slider with sweet and sour Dole pineapple chutney and spicy mayonnaise ($4.75).

Not bad at all with the flavour of the pork being lifted by the pineapple chutney and a little heat from the mayo. Maybe a tad too much brad for the serving but that's being super critical.

That was all I managed. The one dish I wanted to try but missed out on was the hummus fries from Morocco but they closed the stall because of rain. I enjoyed the experience though despite a couple of dishes being a little disappointing.

Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Loftus - 26 Sep 16 10:42 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Glad you enjoyed it shame a few things were not so good

Joan
Old 27 Sep 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Looks fab, a great way to work your way around the World Showcase.
Old 27 Sep 16, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Looks great, we are there at F&W next year and plan on spending a day there and using up some snack credits!
Old 27 Sep 16, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Great reviews, lots of interesting details
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
I think DS2 will probably be sampling some of the dishes at the F&W Festival in a couple of weeks.

Nice to see you enjoyed some of the dishes, I'll be found having a Grey Goose slush p
Old 27 Sep 16, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Yum - some great tips here ready for our trip 'around the world' in November!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 16, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Great review
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List