Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 12 Oct 16, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Malaysian F1 and Kuala Lumpur adventure - travel day

Hi

We got back on Sunday from an amazing trip to Malaysia, as I have loved doing the other trippies I am doing one for this holiday thank you in advance for reading!

Travel day

Our flight was leaving Heathrow at 8:15pm and due to land in KL at 4pm the next day so traveling kind of spanned two days.

Chris worked in the morning and I was running round like a mad women trying to finish packing, we've never left it so late and will never do so again! It was so stressful can't understand why anyone would pack last minute! I also found a spider in the case which wasted about 10 minutes while I was plucking up the courage to get rid of it!

I had hoped to squeeze all our luggage into one big case but unfortunately it was over the 23kg weight limit so we took a large and small case, also it meant we'd have space to buy stuff so not so bad.

We left about 2.40 to get a train, this was extremely early but due to having to rely on Southern trains we didn't want to risk it! We got to Victoria fine and then got the tube to Heathrow terminal 5 arriving about 4.30pm. We found the bag drop and printed our boarding passes. I had checked in the day before online and chosen our seats, in the middle so we don't have to disturb anyone/ or be disturbed while sleeping if needing the toilet. It took about 15 minutes then got straight through security, I had to go through the body scanners but didn't have any further searches.

We headed over to Giraffe, I had a smokey joe burger with a glass of wine and Chris had a rodeo burger with a beer (didn't get any pictures). We hadn't really eaten lunch just both had a few snacks in the morning so were pretty hungry and polished off our burgers pretty quickly, this came to £33.50. We sat there for ages taking our time with our drinks before going for a wander round the shops.

The gate was shown at 7 which we thought was very early but we headed over to the gate. It was probably the longest walk we've ever had to a gate, including getting on a transit to another bit of the terminal. We got to the gate about 7:30 and they started boarding 10 minutes later so can see why they put the gate up so early!

We had the usual difficulty of getting past people in the aisle, it was a full plane so very busy. We flew with Norwegian in February to New York and it was the smoothest boarding we've ever had, other airlines could definitely learn from them!

We took off at 8:45 and they served drinks pretty quickly, they served both drinks and also asked what drink you'd want with your meal to speed things up. I had a g&t and a white wine for the meal. Chris got a tiger beer and a white wine for the meal .

(didnt get photos of the food, but did of the alochol... priorities hehe )

The options for food was chicken with an almond/ coconut sauce and veggie lasagne, unfortunately I seem to have developed a slight allergy, in particular to almonds (which is currently under investigation by my doctor but it is best to avoid them!), I knew I'd have to stick with the veggie lasagne. However, they'd actually just run out of the chicken by the time they got to us so Chris also had to have the lasagne. It was actually very nice, I was worried it would be mushrooms and onions, neither of which I like (I'm starting to sound really fussy, I swear I'm not that bad), but it was cauliflower and carrot. The chocolate pudding they served was amazing! We were about 10 rows from the back so there was an awful lot of people who'd missed out on the chicken.

I watched how to be single which I was giggling along to and Chris watched x men apocalypse. They soon cleared away and turned off the lights. We both slept on and off and they turned the lights back on 2 hours before landing (2pm KL time). The flight seemed to go really quick which was nice. I watched some friends episodes, however many times I've seen friends I still find myself giggling at certain bits.

Breakfast was served about 2.30pm, they started from the back this time so everyone who didn't get the chicken got first choice. We both had the English breakfast, it didn’t look very nice but tasted ok!

We landed at 3:50pm KL time, we were towards the back of the plane so took quite a while to get off. It was a long walk to immigration including getting in a transit, it then took about an hour to get through immigration. By the time we got to our bags they'd been taken off the carousel and were waiting for us, we must've been one of the last through.

We had arranged the pick up via the hotel. This was 22RM (11 each which is about £2.20). The hotel had given us very specific instructions and we found the driver with no problem. He was picking up someone else too so we waited about 15 minutes before leaving. It took about 20 minutes to get to the hotel, driving right past Sepang circuit which was exciting .

We got to the hotel about 6 and checked in, our room was basic but clean although it was very close to reception.

We pre booked our transfer to the circuit for qualifying the next day (this was 11RM each) for 10am the next morning. We unpacked a few bits we would need for the next few days but there wasn't any space for clothes in the room so lived out of the suitcases (this hotel is primarily used for airport stop overs the rest of the year).

We then went for a wander around, we weren't sure what to expect as it had been very hard to find much information on where this hotel was, but there was actually quite a few shops and little cafes/ restaurants around.

The one restaurant I had been able to find online was Secret Recipe (which we've since learnt is a chain out there), I had read very good things so decided to try it.

We both had the special recipe rice with satay chicken with a can of soft drink. The food was amazing, pretty spicy but we like spicy food and the chicken satay was very good.

They also did cakes which all looked so good. I got a slice of Oreo cheesecake to take away and Chris got Black Forest cake. This all came to 65.20RM (£13).

We popped into a couple of the little shops and none of them had alcohol, but our hotel sold cans of carling for 10RM (£2), I wouldn't usually be bothered but after the long day travelling we really fancied a drink so we got one can to share and some lemonade to make a shandy which we enjoyed with our cake .

We then just relaxed and got our stuff sorted for the next day

Thank you for reading .

Edited at 08:55 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 16, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Pretty smooth travel day! Look forward to reading more 😏
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 05:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Great day! Loving how cheap it seems to be to eat!

I arrive at 5.45pm - good to have an idea of how long it will be before I get into KL.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 16, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
amymiller
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Great start to your trip!

Really interesting to read about somewhere more unique. Can't believe how much food you got for £13. Might have to start thinking about more affordable holidays now that the Euro/Dollar rate is so poor! Am heading East myself for the first time next month so might have to try some Asian places if it goes well.

Looking forward to reading more.
amymiller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Pretty smooth travel day! Look forward to reading more 😏
Thank you for reading

Originally Posted by amymiller View Post
Great start to your trip!

Really interesting to read about somewhere more unique. Can't believe how much food you got for £13. Might have to start thinking about more affordable holidays now that the Euro/Dollar rate is so poor! Am heading East myself for the first time next month so might have to try some Asian places if it goes well.

Looking forward to reading more.
Thank you for reading I am always adding new places to my every growing list of places I want to visit but would definitely recommend Malaysia!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Great day! Loving how cheap it seems to be to eat!

I arrive at 5.45pm - good to have an idea of how long it will be before I get into KL.
Thanks, we were surprised by the price of food, even in KL. The queue for immigration was frustrating, very slow but I thought the airport was otherwise good and quite well organised.