Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 17 Nov 16, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

From the Beach to the Wilderness Halloween 16 Day 11 Solo MK or Shopping - No Contest

The purpose (I mean excuse) for this trip was to celebrate Darren's 50th birthday which was last month and Alix's 21st in 4 months, so it had been agreed they could both choose a day to do what ever they wanted, to celebrate. I had wanted them to wear birthday badges at Disney but they both refused. Today was Darren's day and he had chosen shopping followed by a meal at Outback, which he later changed to a take out from Outback. Now he knows how much I dislike Mall shopping and I had already been once so he suggested they drop me at one of the parks. At first I refused as I would always do whatever Darren wanted on his birthday with him but he said it would make him happy knowing I was happy (I think he meant he would be happier knowing he could take his time). So I thought about it and as this was in fact his 2nd birthday treat and we had already celebrated, I agreed - without hesitation.

I had intended getting up early and finally seeing the opening ceremony at MK but as we had had a late night the night before and the idea was to meander and not rush I said I would just see what time I got up, knowing I had been up early every morning. And wouldn't you know - this morning was the latest I got up at 7.20. After getting ready quickly we were out of the door by 8.00 and Darren dropped me at the drop off point. I chose the ferry boat so my excitement could build as I approached and contemplated my day on the way over.

I had 3 FPs booked for attractions I had never ridden before: Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh and Journey of the Little mermaid. The idea was that if I was close by at the allotted time and fancied riding I would but I wasn't going to rush around to meet FP times.

Once in the park I spent some time admiring Main St in daylight and I finally found the Roy and Minnie bench, which I had never seen before. I had obviously missed it many times, which isn't surprising as it's way off to the side and I was expecting it to be central. I browsed a couple of the shops and really liked a picture of the castle at night in Curtain Call Collectibles so put this on the list of something I might buy on the way out.

At the top of Main St I spotted a PP Photographer in front of the Partners statue and as I love this statue and have never had a PP here I joined the queue. As a bonus the photographer also took a Tinkerbelle Magic shot. As I love Tink I was very excited to get both of these photos.

A stage show had started so I watched the end of this before strolling to Adventureland.

I noticed that Jungle Cruise was only 10 minutes so I decided to ride now and cancel the FP. It was actually a walk on and whilst I enjoyed it and was pleased I did it I wouldn't rush to repeat it.

I carried on past Pirates of the Carribean which wasn't open so I swapped my Jungle Cruise FP for Pirates for later in the day so I could see whether I fancied it then. I then stumbled across the La Princessa de Cristal stall with ornaments that Alix and I had admired last year and forgotten to look at last night. I wanted to buy Alix a gift for her pretend birthday so kept these in mind for coming back to if I didn't find anything else.

I next found myself in Liberty Square and had just missed some type of show outside Hall of Presidents, which had left lots of red, blue and white streamers behind. I had never seen the Presidents show before so I popped in here and admired the room outside of the theatre but when I asked the CM she said it wasn't starting for another 15 minutes and as I didn't fancy hanging around I moved on.

The Liberty Belle was just coming in to dock so as this was another first for me I boarded.

I enjoyed a sit down and cool down and was quite surprised at how many things there were to see as we sailed around. As there were not too many people aboard it was easy to walk across the boat to take pics on each side.

Next up was Philarmagic which was showing 5 minutes but ended up being 15 minutes but I didn't mind as I had forgotten how good this is and really enjoyed listening to the snippets of music from the different films. I then stopped to watch some funny interaction between the step sisters and guests. As I passed Gaston's Tavern I decided to have a little break as it was now quite hot. I joined the queue with the slowest server and spent 20 minutes in the longest line of the day. I wished I had a FP for this. The man in front ordered about 10 items and the server got them mixed up so had to start again. The man then asked to pay on the DDP so the server had to start again. The poor man had to use his magic band 4 times before the server got it right. Once the man left the server then spent time writing on the receipt. The manager noticed so came over and served me. I ordered a LeFou's Brew and warm cinnamon roll, which was more of a loaf than a roll but delicious.

I could only manage half of it but took the rest of my drink for a stroll. Outside I watched some more funny character interaction, this time with Gaston.

I then spotted Bonjour Village Gifts so popped in for a browse. They had on display a huge framed picture of a rainbow over the castle but when I got closer it was a jigsaw so I browsed some more before I came across the bixed jigsaws. When I looked at the completed jigsaw from this distance I couldn't tell it was a jigsaw and when I saw they were only $20 I considered buying one.

I had thought I might buy a cross stitch kit this year but maybe this would be something different and fun to complete. There was also a castle at night with the partners statue which I also really liked. So onto the list they went.

It was then time for my FP for Journey of the Little Mermaid. This had been booked as I couldn't think of anything else so I wasn't really bothered about it and not expecting much but I thought as I was in the area I may as well try it. The standby was 20 minutes so there was no way I would have tried it without a FP. I was very surprised that I really enjoyed this. There was lots of pretty scenery and some great music to listen to. The ride broke down which gave me time to admire the details and take more pics. This is definitely one I would ride again.

I then decided that I needed to decide whether to buy the jigsaw as I wouldn't be back in this area and hadn't seen it in any other shops so I went back to Village Gifts for another look. I finally decided to buy the jigsaw of the rainbow over the castle. I hadn't a clue where I was going to find the space to complete it but I thought it might be more fun than just buying a picture. The lady who served me said she had the same one displayed in her home.

It was too early for my Winnie the Pooh FP so as the People Mover, one of my favourite rides, wasn't far away I headed there. It was great to have a sit down and cool down and I enjoyed this as much as always. Another break down happened but I didn't mind sitting admiring the view and enjoying the cool breeze. As Carousel of Progress was opposite and an attraction I had never ridden I decided to give it a go and fortunately walked straight on. I really enjoyed the story of progress here and think the rest of my family, particularly Matt, might like this. It did break down and seems today is a day for rides stalling.

(cont below)
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 16, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

By this time it was time for my Winnie the Pooh FP and as it was close by and I had enjoyed the other new attractions I had tried I headed back there. I found this to be OK, but not one I would rush back to. It was very cool in here, which was good as the day had turned very hot.

I had some time left so decided it was worth a stroll back to Adventureland where I could use my final FP and buy a gift for Alix. On the way I caught the end of the Frozen stage show, which was good to see.

I was a bit early for the FP so went to buy Alix's gift first, from La Princessa de Cristal stall. I couldn't remember which ornament Alix had liked last year but thought it was probably one of the white cats so I bought one watching a butterfly.

I enjoyed Pirates of the Carrbean, as always

and browsed in the shop, hoping to pick something up for Darren as a pretend birthday gift. He had in previous years bought dressing gowns from the ToT shop but they didn't have any this year. I asked the CM in the pirates shop if she knew of anywhere in WDW that sold them but unfortunately she didn't.

It was then nearly time to leave so I wandered down Main St again. I considered a hot dog from Casey's Corner, as another first but it was very busy in here so settled on listening to the pianist outside, who was very good.

I strolled a little further before stopping to listen to the Dapper Dans Barbershop quartet, again very good.

My final stop was Main St Confectionery to buy some sweets for Darren.. Luckily, they had various flavours and colours of his favourites, jelly beans and M&Ms and I left $13 lighter. I then took the monorail back to the Transportstion Centre and enjoyed the views from here but couldn't help but think of Lane Graves and his family as we passed the Grand Floridian and I saw the new fence and wall that had been created.

I got to the pick up point right on time but Darren text to say they were running late so I grabbed a drink and sat in the cool shade of the bus shelter, reminscing on my very enjoyable 5.5 hours in the Magic Kingdom.

Darren, Alix and Matt reported a very successful shopping trip, despite the fact they had got there an hour before it opened and Matt had somehow managed to lose $70 and couldn't buy the coat he had liked. They did buy: shoes, jumper, 2 t shirts (Darren), a dress (Alix) and a PlayStation game and pop vinyl character (Matt). Darren asked if I minded having a barbecue tonight instead of an Outback as Matt had offered to cook again. As it was his birthday and I had just spent a delightful day, which felt more like my birthday, I didn't mind at all.

We spent the rest of the day relaxing around the pool before retiring to bed at 8.30. Who knew all this relaxing was so tiring?
karalma is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 17, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a lovely day.
I'd much rather your day than shopping.
I'm thinking of doing keys to the kingdom on my own this year.
Old 2 Apr 17, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
karalma
Imagineer

I would definitely recommend a solo day. I love spending time with my family but a few hours doing just what I want is lovely.