Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Nov 02, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DIY Planning

Hi,
I know we have covered this topic on the old boards but thought we could revise it here.
I normally book Package hols as I'm lazy and lately found the DIY equivalent the same price as the package.

I have purchased annual tickets this year, so next year I'll probably be doing a DIY holiday.

For those that do DIY

What are your Tips?
Do you always use the same company or shop arround?
What companies (Car hire, Airline brookers etc) have you used? and what are your opinions of those companies.
Old 5 Nov 02, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I've done both Stu in the past, but will probably carry on with the DIY packages now. Like you we have Aps, but for USF?IOA and aim to have APs for Disney next year too.

We used EBookers for our flights this time and they were great, no problems at all.

Dreams Unlimited for our accomodation at Disney, and rang Hard Rock Hotel direct.

Journeywise for our insurance, very cheap.

Happy Limo for the stretch limo, which was brilliant and they then upgraded us for our return journey too

Booked almost everything over the net and had no problems at all...
Old 5 Nov 02, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post

We have always used travel agents Lunpoly the first trip and Travel care this trip
I'll watch this thread with interest as we want to go again again again
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 02, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We have done both too.

I really pays you to shop around, which Neil seems to get pleasure out of The last time we booked a package deal was 98 that was the last time.

We've used Travel City, Thomas Cook, Callers Pegasus and this time travelshoponline.
We found TC the best value in the past.

For our accomodations we have booked villas through Private Villas, booked direct with WDW CRO using the discount codes. Which we have never had a problem with.

Journeywise for travel insurance, the same as Mandy cause you just can't beat the prices.

Always hired a car, with loads of different companies again we have always shopped around.
Old 5 Nov 02, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Well,

Next year will be our first DIY trip as all of the others have been a package.

DW is not one to "gamble" or take a risk, especially when DDs are involved.

So far we have booked our flights through bonvoyage with BA and we have booked our seats.

The plan is to purchase APs with a view to going again in 2004.

We will use the AP codes from mousesavers for booking on-site hotels.

Car hire and insurance will follow later, although Tesco's insurance looks cheap at the moment.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 02, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post

We usually book a package deal out of pure laziness but 2003 we are going with friends and have booked independently. We have saved loads of money.

Flights and car hire are booked though Virgin (they were out before BA and as 16 of us were going wanted to book asap). We are going to a friends villa but have been charged normal going rate.

removed by Bev while I get clarification

Julie

Edited at 03:04 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 02, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
we have done both. I think we will stick with DIY from now on. I'm not convinced that it is always cheaper, but since we like to stay in a couple of different places on each trip, it is easier to book it ourselves.

I do tend to compare all the prices though, even the packages, just to be sure there isn't an amazing deal out there. On our first trip we managed to book 1 week on I-drive and 1 week at the Caribeen Beach for the same price as 2 weeks at the I-drive hotel. I am totally sure it was a misprint in the brochure, because the following edition had a much higher price, but we were lucky and managed to get the deal, so every year I scour the brochures looking for a similiar mistake! I live in hope that it will happen one day.

for flights, I have used KLM, BA and BonVoyage. KLM periodically have sales with very cheap fares, and if you can time it right you can get flights for under £200. We managed to get these last year ,and it made the difference between us having a holiday or not.

We like to stay on site for a couple of days - we can't afford 2 weeks onsite, but 2 or 3 nights at the end of the trip is a great way to finish. I usually check MouseSavers for special offers for this.

I used ChoiceAir for car hire last year, and will probably use them again, I though the prices were very competitive and they were really helpful.

I get an annual travel insurance policy online, and Bonzo, you should get it as soon as you've booked your flights, because it would cover you if you had to cancel for any reason. (Although, I think Bon Voyage have better cancelation policies than booking direct with the airline). I got my insurance through gosure

Bev
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 02, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

This is my first DIY trip. I usually book everything at the Travel Agents. We booked our Villa through Holiday Villas magazine, our flights through Bon- Voyage (who are very helpfull) and my travel insurance through Tesco. Still to book the Car Hire and the Attraction tickets.
Clarey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 02, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Macman
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve done both, but last time we booked a package purely to guaranty the flights with Virgin when and when we wanted them in October.

I think I prefer DIY and now I wouldn’t necessarily stay in the same place all the time. I think 5-7 days in a Disney hotel and 7-10 days in a villa would be nice.

As for booking things I have used ebookers a few times, I booked the car and insurance with them as well and they gave me a discount. So it pays to ask because separately the individual items weren’t the cheapest but with the discount it was.
Macman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread