Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 May 19, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Mcfly, sorry to read what happened, unfortunately this is one of the regular, and many, 'extras' staff try to knock out at most/all car supplier desks/garage to increase their commission, they quote the daily upgrade amount in the hope you believe it's the total extra figure for your rental, unless one is really on the ball, not easy after a long flight, it's easy to get sucked in. As mentioned it may be worth emailing Alamo, they may refund a percent, but if all fails write it off as an expensive lesson learnt. You are now wise to their tricks and won't fall for their BS again.

Edited at 12:46 PM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

This is also a lesson to everyone to always book a car that is at least one size bigger than you need.
If you are in any doubt that the size you want to hire is big enough just go up to the next size and take the possibility it won’t be big enough out of the equation.

Edited at 09:04 AM.
antietam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
There were no standard Expeditions available- hence my fury at having to pay $748 extra for the ‘Max’ version. If they had given us the standard version then I’d have had no need for an upgrade ☹️
What cars were available in the row?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by steviet78 View Post
This is the reason I always refuse any upgrade at the desk ( I accept them in the parking lot of course when you dont need to sign another agreement )
Agree, I'd booked a full size for last Nov. We flew in weekend before Thanksgiving so that's probably reason there was only 1 single vehicle in the full size row when we got to garage - a F150 truck. Erm, not for us thanks . Attendant came over and asked us if we would be happy to take any of the minivans from next row instead. Eh yes, so long as it doesn't cost extra. It didn't and there were lots to choose from so we had a nice comfortable drive up to Orlando .

My mother of course having been spoiled by the bigger car now wants another minivan this year. There are only 3 of us so and we're flying into MCO this year so I've only booked a full size so far. Will keep an eye on prices. Last year I was able to cancel and rebook in Sept (2 mths out) for $150 cheaper than original booking. So we had our minivan for 17 days for if I remember correctly $480.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Was this fraud, a misunderstanding, or a billing error (where they didn't take into account pre pay). Enterprise who own Alamo are a very customer centric company- you need to raise this with Alamo and keep pushing until you get answers.
Old 19 May 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Sounds like $45 per day plus all other taxes and airport charges,
If it sounds to good to be true it usually is to good to be true.

You should always read paper work before signing and if the charges are not what you expect do not sign and question it.

If there is a queue behind you so be it they will have to wait until you have checked over things.

You more than likely also paid over the actual daily upgrade rate as you asked for the upgrade they would of jumped in with top price.

Unfortunately It happens to many due to being tired from the long journey.
Old 19 May 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
Agree, I'd booked a full size for last Nov. We flew in weekend before Thanksgiving so that's probably reason there was only 1 single vehicle in the full size row when we got to garage - a F150 truck. Erm, not for us thanks . Attendant came over and asked us if we would be happy to take any of the minivans from next row instead. Eh yes, so long as it doesn't cost extra. It didn't and there were lots to choose from so we had a nice comfortable drive up to Orlando .

My mother of course having been spoiled by the bigger car now wants another minivan this year. There are only 3 of us so and we're flying into MCO this year so I've only booked a full size so far. Will keep an eye on prices. Last year I was able to cancel and rebook in Sept (2 mths out) for $150 cheaper than original booking. So we had our minivan for 17 days for if I remember correctly $480.
I think you have your classes mixed up sorry. I suspect you booked a Standard SUV as Full size to a 7 seater is a huge drop in class. A Standard to a 7 seater is technically an upgrade albeit I would refuse it.

You mention $ in your pricing. Did you book via an American website? If so was the car fully insured as most aren't.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:33 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mcfly
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
OP have you tried emailing Alamo’s MCO email?
I did over some issues and got a really good reply from them. May be worth a shot.
I am in touch with the Alamo Miami branch but I’ve been getting nowhere after the original response in which they said I signed a contract - which is true. I am taking this up with my credit card company claiming this as an “unfair” contract based on the fact that I was told something different than what was in the contract. I doubt I will get anywhere but I will get some satisfaction of causing Alamo some cost and effort trying to defend the allegation from my credit card company 😄
mcfly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mcfly
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by antietam View Post
This is also a lesson to everyone to always book a car that is at least one size bigger than you need.
If you are in any doubt that the size you want to hire is big enough just go up to the next size and take the possibility it won’t be big enough out of the equation.
I 100% agree with this, and I will never get caught like that again
mcfly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Unfortunately I think this is going to come down to an expensive lesson learned.
When I get off the flight I am right on it with checking the charges.
Last time I had charges that I did not know what they were and got them removed purely because the rental desk was unable to tell me what they were.
That is ridiculous.