Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Mar 20, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Universal Orlando Closes it's Theme Parks due to Coronavirus

Universal Orlando Closes it's Theme Parks from close of business on 15 March 2020 to the end of the month.

Statement from Universal Orlando:

Out of an abundance of caution and to assist with our nation's preventive efforts, Universal Orlando Resort will temporarily close its theme parks. The closure is effective at the close of business on Sunday, March 15. We anticipate remaining closed through the end of March – but will continue to evaluate the situation.

Universal Orlando's hotels and Universal CityWalk will remain open.

We have created flexible programs for those guests who have booked travel packages or tickets with us. Guests can call this number for more information: 877-801-9720. A core group of team members will continue to work on site. Hourly team members will be paid for any work scheduled through the end of March.

Edited at 02:38 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Just had a pass holder email to say the same but why keep City walk open
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Just had a pass holder email to say the same but why keep City walk open
WDW and DLP are keeping the Springs and Village areas open too - not sure there is whole lot of rationale about keeping these places open , but they are public places and not needing a ticket to enter. Which may negate any possible liability moving forward.

Apart from that - no idea

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 04:47 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
WDW and DLP are keeping the Springs and Village areas open too - not sure there is whole lot of rationale about keeping these places open , but they are public places and not needing a ticket to enter. Which may negate any possible liability moving forward.

I expect part of it is that they are filled with 3rd party shops and restaurants and Disney/Universal are only really acting as the landlords. If the other shopping centers in the area remain open there isn't really any reason for them to close.
Old 13 Mar 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Rbecking
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

What are the chances of them reopening for start of April?
Rbecking is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rbecking View Post
Very low I would suggest. Start of May maybe.

In China, in Shanghai for example, it has taken 8-9 weeks before things started getting back to normal.

I personally think it is only 50/50 for my mid July trip now.
Old 13 Mar 20, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rbecking View Post
I think we're into this coronavirus thing for at least a few months

and, not wanting to scare anybody here, but I hope everyone is aware that it's just the beginning, and it will go worse before it gets better.

Especially in the US where they are so very unprepared.

Think that, for example, the biggest lab in Austin (TX) recently disclosed that they could only test up to 26 persons per day due to lack of test kits ...

and the rest of the US is about the same

As far as I'm concerned, I would not expect being able to return to the US before summer at best.

ETA : I think YT's 50/50 for mid july above is on the very sensible side of things.

Edited at 08:30 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I think we're into this coronavirus thing for at least a few months

and, not wanting to scare anybody here, but I hope everyone is aware that it's just the beginning, and it will go worse before it gets better.

Especially in the US where they are so very unprepared.

Think that, for example, the biggest lab in Austin (TX) recently disclosed that they could only test up to 26 persons per day due to lack of test kits ...

and the rest of the US is about the same

As far as I'm concerned, I would not expect being able to return to the US before summer at best.

ETA : I think YT's 50/50 for mid july above is on the very sensible side of things.
Yes, I'm saying 50:50 too for July. Trouble is I have to decide whether to pay my balances at end may/june. Don't want to risk insurance not paying up if no FO advice not to travel. Was looking forward to this one... it's miserable...but safety first I suppose.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ppp65
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post

I presume they are keeping Disney Springs and City Walk open as people have to eat. The tens of thousands of tourists out there can't just go and self isolate in their own homes and I don't think they are (yet) in a situation of asking people to self isolate in hotel rooms and be brought food to the door.
ppp65 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JimmyCricket
Excited about Disney

I think the Springs and City Walk are open as previously mentioned as they are landlords to retail/food outlets and if they closed these they could not charge rent.
JimmyCricket is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List