Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
SSR baby! pre trip report

The cast

Me - Marion Chief planner, loves all things Disney/American. Is good at getting high on the excitement scale and also the stressful scale

DH - Ramsay, so laid back he's like a deck chair! Just goes with the flow and isn't interested in any input into our holidays. He just turns up and goes where he's told Will celebrate his 38th birthday whilst over there this year (auld yin)

DS - Callum (13) lover of big thrill rides and sleeping Can never manage to get him out of bed before 10am on holiday. Pretends he's not that 'into' Disney/Florida but he's my son and I can read his mind which tells me something different

DS - Scott (8) Doesn't like big rides or the dark. His favourite ride is Splash Mountain and that's as big a ride as it gets for him. Another lazy kid how loves his long lies in the morning.

Here's a picture of us from last year

When we're going and where we're staying

I'll add further updates to this thread as I go along.

Flying from Edinburgh on the 12th October 2010. Going via Newark with Continental and staying onsite at Saratoga Springs Resort with DDP

I knew when we got home last year that we would be going again this year but was wanting to hang off till January to book flights etc as sometimes the airlines have sales on. With staying in Scotland, to fly direct often works out very expensive for flights i.e. Glasgow - MCO via Virgin Atlantic was coming at over £700 pp, at that was as soon as the prices were released!

Over christmas and new year I kept having a look and true enough there was some sales on but they didn't go as far as October I didn't want to hang off until the next sale round about easter time so at the beginning of January I started looking at indirect flights. I was pricing up BA and Virgin going via Gatwick. The price wasn't too bad (about £550pp) and would have booked it but the thing that put me off was there would be a 5 hour wait in Gatwick for our connecting flight back to Edinburgh on the way back home. We'd probably also have to fly down the night before our departure and stay in a hotel so that would bump the price up even more.

I read on the Dibb about the Continental flight from Edinburgh (about 20 mins from my house) via Newark and had a wee look at their website. The price was good (approx £500 pp) plus the flight leaves at 9.30am (a lot earlier than other flights across the pond). We would only have 2 and a half hours between connecting flights (both ways).

I said to DH about this option and he just gave me the usual grunt which translates to 'it's up to you dear...i'll go with the flow' So the next day I booked the flights for 12th October - 26th October, flying from Edinburgh- Newark- MCO Because our flight is early in the morning and only have a 2.5 hour turn around at Newark, we should arrive in MCO at the same time as the direct flights from Gatwick (or maybe a wee bit earlier) Also because we clear customs in Newark we won't have that hassle at MCO Our return flight leaves MCO at 3pm which is good as I hate hanging around on our last day plus we get into Edinburgh much earlier than we would if we went via Gatwick... result!

I always knew that we'd be staying onsite so the next day whilst the snow was blowing a blizzard I had a look at the Disney website and felt a warm glow as Disney had the free DDP offer on. They also had a sale on their Old Key West and Saratoga Springs Resort hotels which funnily enough worked out cheaper than booking Port Orleans Riverside (which is where we were originally going to stay). I did numerous seaches on the dibb plus put a thread up about these 2 hotels and finally decided to book Saratoga Springs Resort. I think the proximity to DTD finally swung it for me.

The price for 2 weeks at this hotel was something like £2300 (don't have the paper work in front of me for the exact price) but this included the Hotel room, 14 day ultimate tickets, DDP and the Disney Magical Express bus from the airport to the hotel (and return).

Although it sounds quite expensive for a hotel considering what it includes I think it's a total bargain.

We now only have to hire a basic car which we'll pick up for somewhere near Disney (Doubletree hotel near DTD? ). Usually we have to hire a big car to take the four of us plus all our luggage then we somehow always get lost from the airport to our hotel so we won't have to deal with that part. The hire of a basic 2 door small car will save up over £100 in car hire costs. Plus we won't have to pay to park at the Disney parks...another saving of approx $14 per day

Last year we came home with over $1000 and as we're on DDP we shouldn't need to take much more spending money with us.

We've (i've) also decided we only need 2 park tickets for Universal/IOA as I don't really fancy doing Seaworld this year. We've seen the shows in there twice now and it's a park I could easily go without.

I got our 2 park tickets (valid for 14 days) from Florida Tix (Dibb advertiser). I only ordered them about 2 weeks ago and they were here with 2 days, and they were REAL tickets

I'll keep updating this thread with everything else I plan/book between now and us leaving. DS Callum really wants to go to the Blueman Group this year and i'm planning a wee overnight stay in one of the Universal hotels so we can get the FOTL passes. The plan is to leave our Disney hotel early in the morning, drive to Universal and check into whichever hotel I book (I know the room won't be ready but we should still get our card for FOTL passes early). We'll then probably do Isands of Adventure all day, can't wait to see Harry Potter land. Then hopefully leave US about 3pm(ish) and go back to hotel and freshen up then head to bubba gump's for dinner before going to see the Blueman Group. The next day the kids can have a play in the hotel's swimming pool before we go to Universal Studio's.

My countdown is starting to look good now, can't believe we're going in just over 4 months time

I'll go back and add more pics later today, i'll need to put some more into photobucket first

Edited at 09:49 AM.
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Sounds great Marion We've flown Continental via Newark twice and I can highly recommend them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hiya Susie

Did you go via Edinburgh?

I'm really looking forward to the Continental flight, i've heard so much good reports about them. Cannae wait

Loving your countdown BTW
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Enjoyed reading that, i am very excited about our forthcoming trip
Old 6 Jun 10, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chaffey
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
We neally opted for SSR but for us OKW won this time, still there's always next time as I would really like to try SSR at some point.

We were surprised when we checked into HRH for the night to find our room was already avaliable, think we got there about ten.

looking forward to ready more as your plans develope
chaffey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Hiya Susie

Did you go via Edinburgh?

I'm really looking forward to the Continental flight, i've heard so much good reports about them. Cannae wait

Loving your countdown BTW
Yes we've been once from Edinburgh and once from Glasgow (we are in Aberdeen) The staff are very attentive and the seat back entertainment was fantastic. Food, sadly usual airline food

My countdown is looking good
Old 6 Jun 10, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Woooohooooo looking good missus... Good to read that Ramsay came out of the same mould as Jake...they even speak the same language

I'm working on 11/12th October so we'll need to have another wee airport meet.

looking forward to reading more of your plans... Kerry did BMG and loved it
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Originally Posted by purple myra View Post
Woooohooooo looking good missus... Good to read that Ramsay came out of the same mould as Jake...they even speak the same language

I'm working on 11/12th October so we'll need to have another wee airport meet.

looking forward to reading more of your plans... Kerry did BMG and loved it
I might just see you at the end of your shift then as our flight is at 9.30am but think we'll be at the airport for about 6.30, just in time for a hearty full scottish
Old 6 Jun 10, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Oooh exciting Mrs ... we`ll just be back when you are going ...look forward to your up dates

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 10, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello

I haven't posted much here on the Dibb but reading your Pre Trip Report I had to!

We are off on our honeymoon in September also flying in direct with continental (from Bristol though) Staying at Saratoga Springs with free didning

look forward to reading more keep it up