Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jun 06, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

deaf child in florida

having booked our holiday to florida for next september, i have now found out that my daughter has lost her hearing. She had meningitis two months ago and we have only now discovered she has been losing her hearing. We are obviously devasted but need to get on with making sure she has a normal life and hope that she will be able to enjoy this trip.

I assume that there are lots of people who have taken deaf children to florida. is there extra assistance in the parks for deaf children? Do they need more assistance and enjoy it as much?

any advice appreciated.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Can't help with the question but I know there are others on the Special Needs forum who will be able to - just moving this post over there
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
There is member on here called SignTalker who will be able to help you. I do know she has mentioned some difficulties with the parks using ASL rather than BSL, but I believe there are some screens you can use to see captions in some of the shows as well.
Jules (signtalker) will definitely be able to tell you more.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
how bad is your daughters hearing. the reason I am asking is my son also lost his hearing to something similar to meningitis when he was 4 (he is now 16 today ) It left him serverly deaf in one ear and moderate to severe in the other ear. He was fitted with digital hearing aids which you can hardly see and the only thing we have to watch is for him to remember to take them out when going on the rides that are a bit fast etc and also to remember that when he is swimming he won't hear a thing because he obviousley won't have his aids in but also there is a certain noise when you are in the pool even for us that can hear which make hearing worse.

I was in tears when they fitted him with his hear aids . he is now just sat his standard grades and studying for his highers. Because the virus struck him when he was 4 he is clear in his speach and therefore we choose not for him to learn to sign but to be oral.

any more questions please ask
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Hi there, disney are very geared up for people with slight hearing losses to profound.

Is your daughter a hearing aid user?,or does she sign?.

Im more than happy to help with your questions, if you want to PM or email me,

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Just for abit more info disney offer the following

Reflective captioning-this projects captions onto an acrylic panel in front of you, this is avalible at certain locations in all parks(of which I can let you know if this is of help to your DD).

Video captioning- Caption ready monitors have a CC symbol and can only be activated by remote control. these are avalible through guest relations and require a deposit($25 which could be more at time of posting)but you must return the item on the same day for a refund. again this is avalible in all parks on certain rides.

Handheld captioning-This is a portable device system that uses wireless handheld receivers to display text in locations where fixed captioning systems are impractible(such as moving attractions0 these are also avalible at guest services($100 deposit)

Assistive listening devices-A lightweight wireless device that receives an infra red signal from overhead transmitters at certain locations in order to amplify sound. Avalible at guest services $25 deposit)

Written aids- Guest assistance packets containing dialogue,flashlights and pen and paper are avalible at or near performance araeas or entrances for most shows and attractions.

Sign Language- This unfortunetly is only interpreted in ASL and not BSL so would be of no help.

any questions ask away

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazzy
Imagineer

Mazzy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
I am partially deaf myself and can tell you that WDW is absolutely the best place in the World to take a deaf child on holiday, she will have so much fun as there is lots of visual stimulation, and as Jules has said above, they provide a lot of help for deaf visitors.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest you also contact the NDCS, they will be able to offer support and advice to you and your family on how to best help your daughter with her deafness. You can find them here: ndcs.uk/

Hope this helps a bit - the biggest thing you can do for your daughter is to find the best way for her to communicate with people, whether it's lipreading or signing, and to give her a good social link to the deaf community, she will thank you for that when she is older.

PREVIOUS TRIPS:
WALT DISNEY WORLD:
Dolphin:
MAY 1999, SEPT 2003, XMAS 2005, AUG 2007, APR 2008, APR 2009
Port Orleans Riverside
NOV 2000,
Port Orleans French Quarter APR 2005, OCT 2006
Polynesian: FEB 2007
Caribbean Beach SEPT 2008
DISNEYLAND PARIS: SEPT 1999, JAN 2002, MAY 2006
DISNEYLAND RESORT CALIFORNIA:
AUG 2007, JULY 2010
Mazzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Hope this helps a bit - the biggest thing you can do for your daughter is to find the best way for her to communicate with people, whether it's lipreading or signing, and to give her a good social link to the deaf community, she will thank you for that when she is older
couldnt have said it better myself mazzy!

there are lots of people here who can help, or chat if you need it.

jules
Old 22 Jun 06, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by signtalker
couldnt have said it better myself mazzy!

there are lots of people here who can help, or chat if you need it.

jules
just wanted to say but our son will not go to any deaf clubs, parties or take part in the hearing impaired stuff at school. In saying that he has coped really well and mixes with his hearing peer group. I think it frightened him at the beginning and now copes without the impute. I joined the ndcs although he wouldn't and they have some great information and support groups. We thought him loosing his hearing was the end of the world (until our other son broke his neck and to us that was the end of the world) but we have got to remember he still needs help and sometime have to fight for help for him at school .

disney is excellent so please don't worry, you will all have a fab time
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 06, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Hi

We went to Florida last Easter times with my deaf daughter (6) and she had a fabulous times. Also Disney Wonder Cruise well she enjoyed it well. I think it is nothing to worry as there have lots of things.

As Signtalker mentioned about Reflective etc as we didn't hire it cos thought my daughter too young for it as we should hire for ourselves lol.

Forgot mention that at Universal Studios as there were lots of interpreter but only USA sign language as one hand but can lip read it. It was brilliant to watch it.

Also if you are planning go to Discovery Cove, please book an interpreter as we got one as she can sign BSL as her family from Newcastle. We had a best day of it. Interpreter came with us sign and we swam with dolphin. My daughter loved it very much. Mind you, it is expensive to pay for Discovery Cove but it was worthing. Discovery Cove have own interpreter so no need to pay extra for it.

I am sure your daughter will have a good times as especially eye contact and see things.

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022

Edited at 03:47 PM.
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread