Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jul 06, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Immigration to USA...

Me and my other half would definately consider this, the only thing is our dog we love her so damn much how long would she need to be quarantined and how would we get a passport for her?

Any tips would be great. It's not like we're going to move anytime soon but its an interesting thought.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 06, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Do you mean emigrating? Going there to live? Its just I don't think its as easy as 'We want'. You may find your dog is the least of your hurdles.

Unless you work for Nat West and particularly like the Houston area.

Edited at 09:45 PM.
Old 14 Jul 06, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
james weir
Imagineer

Almost impossible,in the UK you are not permitted to take part in the Green
Card Lottery unless you are Irish.
james weir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
ursula
Imagineer

ursula's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You can buy a business. Which is the route we thought about, until we found out we would have to buy three. One for me and DH, one for Mim (22) and one for DS (17) when he finished school.

One of our taxi drivers on our last trip there was telling us about ways of getting aound the system, but it all sounded very complicated and illeagal!

Good luck any way.
ursula is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post

Its only a thought y'know? I knew it was very very difficult either way. Its something I would perhaps like to do in the future though. Thanks for the help though.
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post

It really isn't as easy as it used to be. Unless you are super-rich and don't have to work, getting a job there is almost impossible. It seems that you have to "prove" to the US embassy that any job you apply for could not be done better by anyone else in the US! My youngest son is moving to NY next week [sob sob] and has a job coaching the NY Red Bull youth soccer team - this is a UK based insentive sceme that have taken him 3 years to achieve, initially a 4-months contract but with the option to say on. I just know he will! It used to be the case that if you had relatives living in the US they would sponsor you to live and work there. It isn't as easy as that anymore sadly. Pity our government didn't worked the same scheme [but that's for another forum in another place and another time}. Good luck
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by james weir
Almost impossible,in the UK you are not permitted to take part in the Green
Card Lottery unless you are Irish.
Not quite true. People born in Northern Ireland are also entitled to take part in the Green Card lottery, under certain circumstances.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post

If you are from the uk you can get sponsored
Old 14 Jul 06, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

My friend married an American and it still wasn't easy for her! He had to be earning a certain amount and because he wasn't his Mother had to sponser them... it meant that if he lost his job he wasn't entitled to benefits because of her... he had to prove he could financially keep her if that happened and if not someone in his familky had to agree to do that Before that... she had to get past the American Embassy checks and a medical, once there, she couldn't just get a job she had to pass their school leavers exam before any employers would even look at her. Also couldn't get a driving test until she'd got a NI number... and has to pay for all her childrens school fees (some states you do have to some you don't) she can't afford braces for her kids teeth. Not trying to put you off, just trying to let you see that it's far easier to get into this country than over there... Oh and forgot to say... I too am married to an American... he lives here in UK with me!
Old 14 Jul 06, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Out of nosiness, Helen, is there any particular reason you both favour the UK?
Closed Thread