Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Sep 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Lego

I know there are a few Lego experts and fans on here so maybe you can help! We have quite a lot of Lego in our house and while we all still love Lego (except for trying to tidy it up!) some of the sets we have just don't get used any more and I'm thinking about selling them to either buy new Lego or put towards our next Disney trip. But... all of our sets are used and I don't have the original boxes (bought as toys rather than investments) so is there much of a market for secondhand Lego? The sets would be complete and have the instruction manuals with them but I doubt if any of the sets we would get rid of would be rare or particularly in demand.

So, is there a market for ordinary secondhand Lego kits, and where would be the best places to sell them? Is it the usual eBay, gumtree, Facebook, car boot sales etc? Thx

Edited at 03:27 PM. Reason: Typo
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My DS(13) had a clear out in the summer holidays and sold about half of it on Gumtree and most of the stuff he has sold to date was without instructions or boxes. Very little of the kits with boxes have sold but he's now leaving them in the loft and will try again nearer Christmas but it really depends on how popular the sets are (his are mainly Ninjago). He sold some Lego Movie and Batman sets and then 4/5 bundles of mixed lego and bundle of mini figures.
He priced them to sell though and at least half what they cost new in most cases and if his remaining sets don't sell he's talking about breaking them up and putting in mixed bundles although it seems a waste.
If you do advanced search on Ebay you can see what bundles or sets have actually sold for but we prefer Gumtree nowadays as easier and also DS can put the ads on and deal with sales as learning experience too. We did agree to post a few sets with full postage costs covered and payment direct to my Bank Account but easier when people collect.
My DS has however used most of the proceeds to purchase Big Ben and the London Bus so still plenty of lego in our house
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

There is definitely a market for second hand Lego especially complete sets. Obviously they won't go for quite as much as brand new but you can still make a fair amount normally. I have a look on eBay etc to get an idea of how much the sets I want to sell are actually going for. This helps me price mine and to see if they are worth selling.

I prefer to sell mine on Gumtree/Preloved to avoid eBay fees. Sometimes takes a bit longer to sell on gumtree/preloved rather than eBay but I prefer to try there first and if no joy after a while they go on eBay.
Unexpectedpenny is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post

There's certainly a market out there for previously owned Lego whether you have the boxes and instructions or not. Often some instruction books can be found by searching the web. Obviously it won't command the sort of money that avid collectors are prepared to pay for pristine sets but its still a way to raise some funds (and maybe buy a new Lego item!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for the replies! Guess that's something else for me to get doing soon then 😀
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List