California Here I Come - Part 4

The Cast:

Me, Catherine (42) - Chief (only) planner
DH, Stuart (46) - goes with the flow
DS, Alex (12)
DD, Hannah (7)

Day 4, Sunday 28 May, Pottering around and Shopping

Weather: Sunny and Warm

Sunday morning and I’m wide awake at 6am. Still it’s very tranquil sat out on ‘our’ terrace drinking fresh OJ and watching a heron catching his breakfast in the lake. We breakfasted in the villa and generally pottered about until about 10.30, when we set off for Carlsbad Premium Outlets about a 15 mile drive away from where we were staying. We found the place easy enough and had no trouble parking. Mission for the day, as always at the outlet places is footwear and kids clothes.

First stop is Rockport/Reebok outlet. I’m a Rockport fan and must say I was disappointed with the selection for wide fitting in smaller sizes. There were loads in 8s, 9s and 10s but nothing in 6.5 or 7. However we had better luck in Reebok with DH getting a pair of sport sandals and DS getting a pair of G Unit trainers which came to $48 for the two with a buy one get second half-price offer, minus an additional $10 for the holiday weekend. Searched in several other shoe shops before settling on a pair of Sketchers for DD at $35 not quite in the same league bargain-wise as the boys but still good to what these sell for at home. We bought both kids’ caps and board shorts x2 for DS and a skort and shorts for DD all from Osh Kosh for $52. DS is showing off his trainers and a pair of his board shorts in the picture below, DD is wearing her Sketchers and both wearing new caps.

We were going to have lunch in Ruby’s Diner (as there was one here as well) but there was a long wait for tables. We decided instead to get Chinese at Panda Express where we got 3 different entrees, a side dish and a medium drink for $5.95 each. The quality of the food was very good for the price.

After lunch we returned to the resort and decided to check out the area and facilities. We visited two of the clubhouses and pool areas, played table-tennis and pool and the kids played in the playground.

Pool area from Playground

Hannah climbing

Alex being a monkey

We returned to Vons supermarket and bought supplies for tea; Chicken Caesar Salad for the adults and Mac & Cheese for the kids. We spent another chilled evening reading and watching t.v.

Kitty
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 06, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Sounds like a great day. Your photos are lovely. I really like the look of the resort. Is it near San Diego?
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 06, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post

I agree - the resort looks fabulous

Nice chilled day - love the pic of the kids showing off their new gear

Love Suexx
Old 25 Jul 06, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jools
Sounds like a great day. Your photos are lovely. I really like the look of the resort. Is it near San Diego?
The resort was lovely. Its a timeshare resort which we got as an exchange through Interval International. Its considered one of the top 30 resorts worldwide and I can see why. Its out of town but that did not bother us as it was a easy drive to all the places we wanted to visit and about a 40 minute drive to downtown San Diego.

My DH wants to live there.

Kitty
Old 25 Jul 06, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post

The resort looks great. as well as your photos.
Old 27 Jul 06, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Kitty,

Thaks for the information, we have Marriott timeshare and can exchange it through II. We are going to Anaheim next month and have our accommodation booked. We are already thinking about returning to California in 2008 and will definately consider staying there. What is the name of the resort?

Jools
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 06, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love your photos
Old 28 Jul 06, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Great photos - I like the one of the kids modelling their new gear!
Old 1 Sep 06, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
loopydiamond
Imagineer

loved reading this, it brings back lovely memories, my niece used to live in san diego until very recently, i love shopping at Escondido and Carlsbad and always had to eat at the Ruby's there, and Vons was like my second home lol...

jules
Old 1 Sep 06, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Jules

You will see we visited Vons several times during the week we were there.

Thanks for reading.

Kitty