Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Sep 02, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Angie
slightly serious Dibber

Try again?

Right... due to our slightly messed up recent trip we just didn't have time to go to universal. My eldest DD really wanted to do these parks and go back to seaworld so we've decided that we should go back just for a week, just the two of us, to do just that.
We want to stay in a hotel and don't want a car.
Anyone got any recomendations for a hotel that offers transport to these parks and perhaps to some shops too?
Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Carole
Imagineer

You could always stay at one of Universal's hotels. The Hard Rock hotel is awesome You get front of the line access in IOA and US, and you can take the boat or just walk to the parks. You can walk to Citywalk for dining and entertainment.
For Seaworld there may be transport provided but the odd taxi wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
2007 - BCV, AKV
2008 - Las Vegas, BCV, AKV, St Petes
2009 - VB, Key West, Miami, BCV, AKV
2010 - OKW, Hard Rock Hotel, BCV
2011 - Alaska on the Disney Wonder
2013 - BCV, AKV, 2014 - AKV, BCV, RPR
2016 - BCV, AKV, 2017 - AKV, Royal Pacific, Coronado Springs
Carole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Macman
Very Serious Dibber

Why not a car, unless you cannot drive you should really have a car. Driving in Florida is far easier than in the UK except that they don’t have count down markers before their turn off on I4. If you can drive through ANY major town in the UK you can drive in Florida, I mean think of all the shopping places you wouldn’t be able to get to easily.

OOOOOOOOOOOuch

Sorry tripped as I fell off my high horse. Anyway if you don’t want to drive and are primarily going to visit IOA and US then try and stay at one of the US onsite hotels.

Cabs are relatively expensive but if you only use then once or twice what the heck.

IOA is the best park in the world and Spiderman the best ride, if you haven’t been on it, do, its unbelievable.
Macman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post

If you're on a tighter budget than allows for the Universal hotels, then why not try the holiday inn universal. Great rates thro united vacations and they do a bus, but it's only 15 mins walk - and they've made an effort for the pedestrians with crossings and landscapping - Don't see that often in Orlando.

We paid £46/night for 2 adults - kids free and we got a free upgrade to a 2 bed suite so naturally I'm enamoured of the place - going back next year. place is clean - TGIF downstairs does great food, nice gym and pool.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
englishruss
Swimming at the All Star Resort

I thought I was the only one who walked in Orlando !

I found it really easy to walk to Universal from my hotel which was the Travelodge I drive (actually on American Way) it took about 20minutes and was mostly easy and safe. 1 small road.

It meant I could go see a film at Citywalk late at night.

The hotels on American way are cheap but efficient.
englishruss is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

We walked as well in Orlando, Russ and don't plan on a car next time either

We just loved the I-Ride
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 02, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Angie
slightly serious Dibber

Macman

We came back from Florida on the 21st - i had a van but didn't find the roads or driving over there easy at all! I had to ring DH who had not come with us, so he could fly out just to drive us round! Since i've been back i've talked to a number of people who have also found it difficult to drive in Florida... i was beginning to think iwas the only one
On the whole i think the majority of people seem to have no difficulty - but i wasn't one of them even though before i went i was quite sure i'd manage it... i drive on all the major motorways here with no probs. Trust me to be one of the minority
Still... gives us a good excuse to go back and do things we missed
Angie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 02, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Angie,

we stayed at the Clarion Universal last year. It's very close to Universal although I wouldn't fancy walking. They have a shuttle bus that runs to all the parks.

The only thing I would say against it, is that it's not on I-drive, but on Universal Blvd, and so there are not loads of restaurants within walking distance. I think for your needs, I would suggest one of the hotels at the top end of I-drive, It's not quite as 'smart' looking as the lower end of i-drive, but it's closer to universal, meaning you could walk in a pinch, and there are tons of restaurants within walking distance.

Bev
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 02, 04:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Macman
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry, I did not mean to upset anyone, and I’m sorry if you’ve had a bad experience whilst driving in Florida. The reply was meant as encouragement, but as you said, the vast majority find driving easier in Florida than here. What I worry about are the few people who convince themselves that they can’t drive there before they’ve even been. They tell you they can’t do it before they’ve tried.

On the whole people are more courteous, while driving, the roads are less crowded, speeds are lower, they usually have turn lanes which means you don’t hold anyone up while waiting to turn across the road, the hirer cars are modern with automatic gearboxes and there is more space which helps.

If you do have a car then it opens up so much more to a visitor than if you don’t. I have tried the shuttle busses, walking etc and while you can do most things it doesn’t compare to the freedom that having a car does. I worry about lots of other things as well, so don’t take anything I say personally I never mean to offend.
Macman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 02, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Just moving this over to US / IOA / Seaworld board for greater visibility.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL