California Here I Come - Part 6

The Cast:

Me, Catherine (42) - Chief (only) planner
DH, Stuart (46) - goes with the flow
DS, Alex (12)
DD, Hannah (7)

Day 6, Tuesday 30 May, San Diego Wild Animal Park

Weather: Sunny and Hot

For those who have been following my trip reports so far, today we finally get to visit somewhere other than shops and swimming pools. I think I managed to lie in to around 7 am this morning. We breakfasted once again in our villa and packed our things for a day out taking plenty of drinks and sandwiches in our two cool bags. One thing you should know about the San Diego Wild Animal Park, it’s nowhere near San Diego and was about 12 miles west from where we were staying. As we had to drive through town it was not an easy journey but we followed the road and eventually found it. On approach we were in a convoy of yellow School buses and we were to find that this became something of a pattern for this week – everywhere we went there were hordes of school kids.

We paid our $10 to park and as there was no one directing traffic managed to get almost opposite the entrance. It was time to test out the first voucher in our CityPass booklet. The vouchers were scanned at the turnstiles and we entered no problems. The Wild Animal Park was very large, similar to Animal Kingdom, in that you go on a safari. There are separate African and Asian plains. We did the Safari bus first and had a very informative guide. We saw lots of rhino, giraffe lots of different antelope and deer, elephants, chimpanzee. After the safari we went to look at the petting enclosure and took some lovely photos of the kids with the deer.

We then went to take a closer look at the lions, where we saw a lazy male pinch a piece of meat off a female. The savannah areas of the park were really quite open and now, as it approached mid-day, it was getting really hot with very little shade – there was however a nice little water play area to cool down.

We decided to walk back to the more densely wooden area for some shade, up a very steep incline, passing the gorilla enclosure on the way. DH returned to the car to get our picnic and we ate lunch. After lunch we went for a nice walk in the shady waterfowl area and then went and fed the lorikeets nectar, this was a big hit with both DD and DS.

We had a nice break in the shade eating Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade, our first of several on this trip as this was very refreshing in the heat. It is quite a short day at the park as they start shutting down at 4pm and everyone has to leave the park by 5pm. We walked through the Australian Forest and walked quite a way in the heat to try and get to see the tigers. Unfortunately we were largely unsuccessful and only got a distant view but did manage to see some elephants at very close quarters on the way back down.

We returned to the entrance and browsed in the shops where DD bought a wooden whistle.

After returning to the resort we decided to go to the cinema. Originally we were going to see X-Men 3 but there had been a lot of adverts on TV for Over the Hedge, so Plan B was for DD and I to see that and DH and DS to see X-Men. However when we got there DS decided he wanted to see Over the Hedge as well so Plan C was instigated and we all went to see it. Tickets cost $36 which I though quite expensive. We had a quick pizza and salad in the nearest place which was not particularly nice. However we all enjoyed the film, even DH who did not want to go and see it.

Then it was back to the villa and bed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 06, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

A great day, love your photos.
Old 27 Jul 06, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

The photo of your daughter and the deer is lovely. Once again thanks for sharing your day with us.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 06, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jools
The photo of your daughter and the deer is lovely. Once again thanks for sharing your day with us.
I just love this photo, she looks so thrilled to be stroking the deer and they are just such gentile creatures. I think I'll get an enlargement and a nice frame of this one.

Thanks for the nice comments, btw.

Kitty
Old 29 Jul 06, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 29 Jul 06, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 18 Nov 08, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Ohhhhhhhhh I have heard of the zoo but not the wild animal park. Something else to add to my list
Thanks for the report and pics
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 08, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.