California Here I Come - Part 15

The Cast:

Me, Catherine (42) - Chief (only) planner
DH, Stuart (46) - goes with the flow
DS, Alex (12)
DD, Hannah (7)

Day 18, Sunday 11 June, Disney California Adventure

Weather: Overcast first thing clearing later

After having breakfast in the Executive Lounge at the Hilton and packing our cool bag with free drinks we set off walking to Disney. Although from our room it looked just across the road, it was actually further than it looked by road and took us about 12 minutes. We exchanged our last CityPass voucher for a 3-day hopper passes at Guest Services and entered California Adventure for the first time. This park wasn’t even a twinkle in the Disney Corps. eye when we visited in 1997 and what was now the park, used to be the car park.

We started the day in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot making straight for the Tower of Terror where I chicken out but DH, DS and DD went on. I had quite a long wait, about 45 minutes, but it was quite interesting as all the characters came and went from behind the ToT. I saw Belle, Goofy, Cruella de Vil, and some Playhouse Disney characters that I didn’t know. We then went on Monsters Inc which was good and then went to the Disney Animation Studio where DD got to talk to Crush (again) and wandered around the Beast’s library. At 12.15 I tried to round up the family to get seats for the 12.30 Aladdin show but the kids wanted to do the Animation Class instead. I tried to explain that as Aladdin was only showing twice today and only showing on the weekend we should really do it now but no, they wanted to do the Animation Class which they could do every half an hour throughout the day. I was not very happy but decided that as I had already had to wait a lengthy time whilst they did ToT that they could do the Animation Class and then wait for me until the Aladdin show had finished. Anyway on my own I set off for the Hyperion Theatre which was packed to the rafters. The show was lovely with a great actor doing the genie. It was probably the best Disney stage show I have seen, even better than Beauty and the Beast at Disney Studios. The show lasted about 45 mins so the family had quite a wait for me and they looked hot and bothered when I caught up with them.

By this time we decided to seek out some lunch. We had sandwiches in the Pacific Wharf Café then made our way to Paradise Pier where we picked up Fast Passes for California Screaming.

We had about an hour to kill before the FP slot so DD did some of the smaller rides, King Triton’s Carousel, Orange Stinger, Jumping Jellyfish and played in the SS Rustworthy playground. DS did the Maliboomber 3 times and played in the arcades whilst DD, DH and I did the SunWheel.

When the FP time for California Screaming we went back along the pier and joined the short FP queue. I’m not a big coaster fan but was glad I did it. The only bit I really didn’t like was at the end where it goes over 3 small sharp bumps which made my head move side to side and banged my ears on the headrest. DH sat this one out. We then bought Frozen Lemonades (yummy) and made our way for a good place for the Block Party Bash in one of the party zones. Although this is a parade the idea is that it stops for some time at 3 separate areas along the route where a routine is performed and the spectators get to join in and be part of the Party. Here DD had no hesitation when she was invited to take part in the dancing, unlike me who refused. Here she is doing YMCA.

After the parade we decided to go back to our hotel for a rest before returning in time for the evening parade. We did try to get the Anaheim Resort Transport bus (ART) back to the hotel but were told that we needed to buy the tickets at the hotel and could not pay on the bus. We therefore walked back and spent a couple of hours relaxing and getting drinks from the Lounge. Just before 8 pm we purchased a 2 day ART tickets and got the bus from outside the hotel which took us direct to the parks. We had intended to do Soarin’ but all FPs had gone and stand-by was showing a 60 minute wait. We therefore got our place along the parade route and waited about 25 mins for the Electrical Parade to begin. This was one of the highlights of our visit. I loved this parade the first time I saw it at DLP. It had been updated and enhanced but it was the same great music.

After the Electrical Parade we crossed the Plaza and entered Disneyland, just in time for the ‘Remember…Dreams Come True’ Firework Spectacular which we watched from the Main Street Station, which was an OK view but some of the lower fireworks were obscured by trees. After the fireworks we had a late pasta supper in the Plaza Inn which was $44 for the four of us including drinks. Refreshed we made our way to the Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square. DD refused to go on again, as she had in the Magic Kingdom the previous year, so I stayed outside with her watching the end of Fantasmic, whilst DH and DS went through. Here even though Fantasmic is not in a dedicated theatre but shown across the Rivers of America it is still good. We child swapped and DS and me did Haunted Mansion. We all did the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh which was a walk on by this time. We could have done Splash Mountain which was also a walk on but it was already chilly by now and I’m certain a soaking would not have helped. We decided to take the railroad from New Orleans Square and got the last train which took us around the park to Main Street. We left Disneyland at 11.30 pm and using the ART were back at the Hilton within minutes, using the Marriot Hotel bus (which was just across the road).

It was straight to bed after a very long day.

Kitty
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 06, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Another very busy day for you all. Great photos again. What did you think of the Hilton Anaheim? We are going there on 31st August for 3 nights. We have joined Hilton Honours but won't be in the executive lounge
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 06, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jools
Another very busy day for you all. Great photos again. What did you think of the Hilton Anaheim? We are going there on 31st August for 3 nights. We have joined Hilton Honours but won't be in the executive lounge
Jools

I loved the Hilton Anaheim and would stay there again in a flash. I got it for only £55 a night through Airmiles. I wasn't sure that we would get the HHonour privileges. We did not get the points but did get the privileges. With the HH membership you should get the 12th floor, so fingers crossed for a disney view.

Kitty
Old 17 Aug 06, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Thanks Kitty, it really looks great on the website. I hope we get to stay on the 12th floor.
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 06, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

We loved the Aladdin show it's truly fab

Love your MSEP pics, isn't it great how everyone sits down?

We have a couple of vids from California at xmas ( 2005) on the red link below, if you haven't seen before.

Jackie

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Trip Reports

Danny and Jackies Christmas 04 Restaurant Reports

July 91 WDW...July 92 DL CA...July 93 DL CA...Feb 97 DLP...Feb 02 DLP...Xmas 03 DLP...Xmas 04 WDW...Oct 05 WDW...Xmas 05 DL CA...March 06 DLP ...Nov 06 WDW... Xmas 06 DLP... Apr 07 WDW... Nov 07 DL CA ...Dec/Jan 07/08 DLP... Mar 08 WDW.. Jun 08 DLP.. Mar 09 DL HK
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 06, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

The Aladdin show sounds great. Love your photos.
Old 18 Aug 06, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post

I love the Parade photos Kitty and also have to agree about the Aladdin show. It's far and away the best show I've seen in any Disney park. The Genie is a star!
Old 9 Sep 06, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The MSEP is my all time favourite parade I love the music so much, it makes me smile as soon as it starts
Old 9 Sep 06, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Kathryn
The MSEP is my all time favourite parade I love the music so much, it makes me smile as soon as it starts
If you look at my profile you will see its mine too. I was so excited when I found out it was showing at California Adventure.

Kitty (also a Catherine)
Old 19 Nov 08, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

A very busy day...I'm tired out just reading about it. Think I better get in training before our holiday
Great report and great photos...thanks.
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List