Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 5 Sep 06, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Motability vehicles?

Any Dibbers have Motability vehicles? I'm particularly interested in hearing about WAV's (wheelchair accessible vehicles). Any recommendations? Pros and cons of the Motability scheme?
Has anyone used the Motability grant scheme for financial help towards the cost of advance payments or adaptations?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 06, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Have pm'd you.
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 06, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post

I have a motability car, A Vauxhall Zafira.
Can't help with the wheelchair accessible bit though.
I don't have any adaptions to my car, and the most advance payment I have forked out is £350 for a Ford focus.
I haven't found any cons with the motability scheme.I am more than happy with it.
I just put the petrol in and drive the thing.
No insurance, MOT,Tax or even tyres to pay for.
Couldn't do without it now. I spent way too many years with clapped out cars and there is no way I'd ever be able to buy a brand new car every 3 years.
Old 6 Sep 06, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust
Any Dibbers have Motability vehicles? I'm particularly interested in hearing about WAV's (wheelchair accessible vehicles). Any recommendations? Pros and cons of the Motability scheme?
Has anyone used the Motability grant scheme for financial help towards the cost of advance payments or adaptations?
Hi Sue,

We have a Chrysler Grand Voyager. As you know D is to big now to lift so he stays in his wheelchair and you just push him in the back. the Car lowers. I can pm you with more details etc if you want

Ali x
Saratoska is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 06, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Ebony
Imagineer

Ebony's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I have had a car from the motability scheme, for the past 12 years for my DS.
I think that this is a brilliant scheme and you really cant go wrong in using it. Would defintley reccomend it.
Sorry we have just had a variety of non adapted cars so can not help with that.
WDW 1998 and once or twice most years since. DW 2005; DLP1993. CRUISES:- Disney- Magic Caribbean 2008/11, Med'10, WBTA 2010/11; Disney Wonder Panama 2013 & 2017] Other Ships - Ncl Jade & Epic; P&O Azura, MSC Divina, Thomson x2, Princess x4,
2019:- Cruises on Hal Statendam April 2wks, DCL Fantasy Sept 2wks. 2020 July-Celebrity Millenium 2wks
Ebony is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 06, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
lausan
VIP Dibber

lausan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 4
Guidebook Photos: 47
we have had motorbility scheme vehicles for years...VW Transporter with Tail Lift Fantastic, in the process of updating after our 5yrs runs out in Feb07 getting VW transporter again our Social worker usually deals with letters for Funding .its a great scheme as you never have to worry about Maintaining the Vehicle
Old 6 Sep 06, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

We are looking to get one now at the moment arent looking to get anything that needs adaptions, we have been looking on the motability.co.uk website and on here you can do a search for vehicles and specify wheelchair accessible. Then it tells you all the details and has links to the relevant websites and the nearest dealer near you.. Saved us a load of hassle and enabled us to goto them all in 2 hours with the right questions and the knowledge of what cars we wanted to see.
Old 10 Sep 06, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post

We have just test drived a few cars and have settled on a Ford Focus Cmax as it has good space and the seats are all moveable ane removeable which will be handy in the future for us.

I will say this we are getting a voucher from ford to cover the advance payment of £350 so if your going with ford I could Pm you the phone number I called
Old 21 Nov 06, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust

I have a motability vehicle, have had quite a few in my time. I currently have a vauxhall zafira. We are looking at maybe getting awheelchair accessible vehicle on motability next time but find the deposit is so high for our requirements on contract hire, there are so many WAV available on motability.

My friend who has dwarfism, has a WAV a renault kangoo, which is on a 5 year lease & was £500 deposit but the adatations cost £10,000. he was able to get help from motability grant scheme but only because he had no savings but was still required to pay £500 deposit himself. He found it really difficult to get help this time around cause of all the red tape. in fact he had a VW lupo & wanted to buy the car at the end of his 3 year lease but motability refused to let him & insisted on he having a car he didnt really want. plus they continued to take his allowance off him for the 2 years he was waiting for his kangoo. he only has 1 passanger seat so he was really disspointed with the way motability had been with him.

If we go for a WAV it will be on hire purchase with motability as the deposit for the one we need is £16,000 but to buy the same vehicle on motability HP over 5 years would be £12,000 & the rest on finance. the on the road price for the vehicle we are looking for is £19,995 & it is a mercedes vito automatic, which has lift etc & has 5 passanger seats, which is what we need.

Motability is a really good scheme & i would be housebound without my vehicle, they are getting better. I have had problems in the past, but they are getting better.

Hope this information is useful.
Old 21 Nov 06, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
We are on our second Motability car for DS2, it took us years to realise what a great deal it is. First we had a Ford Mondeo Estate then now a Nissan X-Trail; neither adapted as DS2's wheelchair folds. We have paid a hefty deposit each time because of the car and spec. we wanted but still loads cheaper than buying every 3 years.

Two friends have a Volkswagon with tail lift and they are very pleased with theirs.

I can't think of any negative things about the Motability scheme and it just gets better.

Caron