Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Sep 06, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Where’s the mouse? Day12 – The Hoover Dam and American Superstars

Where’s the mouse? Day12 – The Hoover Dam and American Superstars.

Written by Jools
Photographs by Bill

This was the day we were going to the Hoover Dam and a day, that I in particular was looking forward to.

I was awake at 7ish so left the slumbering Bill in bed and as I was feeling particularly lardy today headed off to the gym – erm sorry I mean Fitness Centre. I had a bit of a cardio workout and also did some free weights. I went back to our unit and made enough racket to wake Bill up. We had a light breakfast and set off for the Hoover Dam. As it wasn’t programmed into the Tom Tom (that’s as technical as I can get with that I’m afraid), we took along the Brits guide to Las Vegas to help us with the route. I have to mention this book is worth its weight in gold. We have got so many ideas and tips from it. We would take a route which took us through Boulder city and then on to the Dam. It was a short drive, around 30 minutes and the drive through Boulder was lovely. We were surprised at how pretty it was.
We got to the Dam and parked on the Arizona side of it.

There are clock towers at each side of the Dam. The one on the Nevada side shows Nevada time and the one on the Arizona side shows Arizona time. We were a bit confused as they both said the same time? Maybe they are in different time zones some of the year? Does anyone know about this?

We pulled into the car park and a friendly Aussie called Bruce took our $5 and asked us where we hailed from. When Bill said Newcastle upon Tyne, Bruce talked about the Tyne Bridge being a smaller version of the Sydney Harbour one and also said how he enjoyed a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale. After this jolly chat we went off in search of the visitor centre to part with some more $$.

Once there we had to go through airport like security and pay $11 each for entry, which was great value. For $11 we saw a couple of films (OK so I’d seen one before on the history channel), got to see the huge generators and also went into the overflow chambers which has only recently been re opened to the public following 9/11. After the tour we were free to look at all sorts of exhibitions and take part in some inter active experiments as well as just looking at the huge Dam itself.

We started with the film on the building of the Dam (the one that’s on the history channel). I was pleased I’d seen it before because yet again, just like on Star Tours and Aladdin, I was sitting in front of the loud American who talked on a cell phone all the way through it. We certainly came across some rude people on this holiday.

We were then taken in a huge lift down to where the generators were.

The tour guide was very knowledgeable and told us all about them, and also pointed out the Art Deco style marble floor that has been there since construction. In fact there are many Art Deco features in and around the dam which I found interesting as I’m a bit of an anorak about that sort of thing.

The tour was well worth doing, the indoor and outdoor observation decks give stunning views of the dam, Lake Mead, The white rocks show the tide mark when Lake Mead flooded and hit its highest point in 1983. Luckily the overspills worked and the top basin didn't flood - the lower basin did, however the dam was safe! This photo shows the dam operating at 53% capacity. This is the worst drought on record.
and the waters of the Colorado River on the outlet side of the generators.

Here is a picture of the Art Deco style angels that sit at the memorial to the men who lost their lives building the Dam.

It’s said you should rub their toes to bring good luck so I did.

We spent around 5 hours at the dam and just marvelled at the fact that it literally changed the face of America’s West, and putting an end to centuries of droughts and floods caused by the mighty Colorado.

We’d already decided we would stop in Boulder City for a bite to eat on the way back to Vegas. Unfortunately it was Wednesday and it seems most places are either closed or close early on Wednesday in Boulder (just like Clearwater) so we just went back to Vegas and to one of our favourites Johnny Rockets – yay!

We both had toasted cheese sandwiches and shared a plate of cheese fries. Bill had a Dr Pepper ice cream float and I had a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. – Lovely!

It was around 5pm when we got back to the Marriott and we were going out again at 6. to see American Superstars at the Stratosphere.

After showering and getting changed we were off out again to see the show. Our ticket also included a buffet dinner and a ride up to the Stratosphere’s observation tower.

We got to the theatre and were seated at table 16 which was very near to the stage, so we had excellent views. The show was very good. It featured Elvis, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, an American Country singer we didn’t know, Michael Jackson and lots of very scantily clad dancing girls. If you like Stars in their eyes (which Bill does), you’ll love this. I had my doubts about the show featuring Michael Jackson but the artiste who played him was excellent. He did the Jackson Moonwalk better than Jackson does and he sent him up something rotten. – I’ve never been a Jackson fan and didn’t realise he was always touching his bits. This show really exaggerated it. The whole thing was very enjoyable (even the country singer) and lasted about an hour and a half.

After the show we went to go up to the outdoor observation tower, but it was closed as there was lightening in the valleys.

So we went to have our dinner buffet than and would try again later for the tower.

Everyone else must have had the same idea as the line for the buffet was really long. We waited longer there than we did at all at Disney last week, but were seated after about 30 minutes. I’m not usually a fan of buffets of any description, but have to concede this was very good. I only had some turkey from the carvary and some rice but it was hot and tasty and there was a huge selection to choose from.

Bill had a very strange concoction and it reminded me of when we used to take the kids to Ponderosa and they used to do the same.

After dinner we again went back to the observation tower. The outdoor one was still closed but we could go to the indoor one if we wished. So off we went. We took the lift to the 108th floor. It juddered a lot and I didn’t like it at all.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 06, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post

The views from the top were spectacular. Bill went right to the edge to take photos but I hung back. There were notices everywhere telling you not to lean on the glass. One girl was leaning forward to a picture and she fell against the glass. My knees turned to jelly and I wanted to go back down. Not before Bill got these great photos though. The 1st one is looking down the strip.

Another scary ride down in the lift and we were safe again! We than went to the Bellagio to see the fountains.

I had read about this show but was not prepared for how beautiful it was. The classical music playing along with the fountains added greatly to it and Bill took these photos.

It was after midnight now (early by Vegas standards I know) and we headed back to the Marriott after another excellent day.
Old 8 Sep 06, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Some spectactular pics there, sounds like a pretty great day u both had
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 06, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoying your trip reports. Was thinking of taking my beloved to Vegas next year as we are celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary. Getting some good tips from your time here if we make it.
Old 8 Sep 06, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Another fantastic report I cannot wait to go to Vegas now

Jools
Old 8 Sep 06, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great day, with great pictures.
Old 8 Sep 06, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
108 Floors... yikes,

Lovely pictures again,

Dawn
Old 8 Sep 06, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow some pretty spectacular photos, thanks for sharing.
Old 11 Sep 06, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
littlesam21
Very Serious Dibber

Briliant! I want to go back
Old 11 Sep 06, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Would love to do this whole trip one day.
The dam looks spectacular.
Thanks for sharing.