Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
DivX Encoding - What to do with audio?

So there I was, thinking I would encode some of the videos I have done in DivX format to compare with the Windows Media versions...

...and the audio selection was "Uncompressed."

What do people use?
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 06, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

MP3. I'd stick with CBR rather than VBR though. Maybe 160K stereo?

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 06, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I've just installed the Radium MP3 codec, and it doesn't appear in my list of codecs to select in Premiere...?

I'll wander off and see if I can find another codec. Any suggestions?
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 06, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
It appears Premiere won't do mp3 encoding in an good fashion.

So, looks like I've ended up downloading VirtualDub in the end anyway

So, I did this (gathering Andre's info from other threads)...

Start VirtualDub
Open source video (Raw DV output from Premiere)
Video/Filters/Added "DeInterlace" then "Scale 2:1"
Video/Compression/DivX Set to "Home Theater" setting.
Audio/Stream Processing
Audio/Compression/Selected MP3 160
Save As AVI...

Where I learnt what AVI stands for today =) "Audio Video Interleave"

Cool. Now the result?

Three times the size of the Windows Media file, but it knocks the socks off of it.

Edited at 02:33 PM.
Old 28 Sep 06, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Things you might want to consider...

Find a plugin called (I think) SmartDeinterlace which does a better job than the built-in one and is more configurable. (At work now, so I'd have to check the name tomorrow)

Set to do the de-interlace before any scaling or cropping

Rather than using exact 2:1 reduction, remember you need to allow for the difference between pixel ratios (computers are square, DV is 1.066666 for 4:3 footage). For example, a 720x576 video should be displayed as 4:3 - but 720:576 is actually 5:4, not 4:3. So from memory, if you want half-height video on a PC you should scale it to 384x288, NOT to 360x288.

Also, you may want to crop any junk off the edges first (but for DV camera sourced stuff you'll probably be OK). If you do crop at all, you'll then need to work out the exact scaled resoltuon again of course -arggh!

DivX has fine-tuning controls to set compression. Check that it's set to recieve a progressive source (as you've already done the de-interlacing work) and try different data rates - I use about 1000k/s for almost original size, so look at trying anying around the 500+ region, and see what the results are like.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 06, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Cheers Andre, I'll re-encode it right now.

Is this the Smart DeInterlacer?
neuron2/smart/smart.html

Boy is VirtualDub fast. Takes 1 minute 40 secs to encode a 4 minute film.
Old 28 Sep 06, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AndyJ72
Is this the Smart DeInterlacer?
neuron2/smart/smart.html
Yes, 2.8 beta 1 is what I use.

VirtualDubMod is a bit 'geeky' (it has built up over the years and been added to) but when you get to grips with it it's quite a powerful 'hub' around which to hang filters, etc. Only really useful with AVI files though; it can sort of handle MPEGs a bit, but the version which handles MPEG better doesn't do audio so well. Hey ho, no real loss. It's also very good for quick & dirty trimming and cropping, and you can even using AVS scripts with it which can be handy. It handles video data on the fly quite happily, so the speed factor is then determined by what filters & codecs you are using. I guess it's the video equivalent of working with RAW files on still cameras.

Andre

Old 28 Sep 06, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Yep, once I got the basic idea from one of your posts it makes logical sense.

So here is the play off:

DivX/Mp3 version.
andyjpartridge/dd_divx.avi
Better quality, doesn't play as it downloads though.

andyjpartridge/dd_512k.wmv
Not as good quality, plays as it downloads, smaller file size.
Old 28 Sep 06, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

You could compress the DivX video quite a bit further without too much loss I'd have thought. I'll have a look at the compression rates in the morning, but the data rates reported by Windows' file properties (yeah, right) don't make sense to me - they say the DivX should be smaller for the same runtime.

Andre

Old 28 Sep 06, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread