Old 20 Mar 07, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
taking firework and night pictures

HOw can I practise taking shots, so that when i go back to wdw i am prepared for takinh photos during parades and fireworls etc.

Have attached efforts from last year as you can see really rubbish.

I have a minolta dimage z1

Also this one Why do some of my close up get blurred dispite have auto focus?

Many thanks in advance for your help
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post

When you take a night shot like that, the exposure is really slow, so you have to hold the camera very steady for longer than the usual "click".

The light in your pics is ok, but the blurring is because you're not still enough.

Practise bracing your arms against your body, or placing the camera on a wall or some firm surface.(Hard in the crowds, sometimes). Or to be really prof., use a tripod.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by freckles
When you take a night shot like that, the exposure is really slow, so you have to hold the camera very steady for longer than the usual "click".

The light in your pics is ok, but the blurring is because you're not still enough.

Practise bracing your arms against your body, or placing the camera on a wall or some firm surface.(Hard in the crowds, sometimes). Or to be really prof., use a tripod.

Thanks for that advice

I will practice that many thanks
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post

hi
i practiced in a supermarket car park, taking photos of the lighting, moving cars and stationary ones. anything really that was lit up after dark. we are also lucky to have busy road with a bridge over it fairly nearby so i took photos from there at nighy until i got good clear pictures. what i often do with fireworks is set the camera to multipleshots and turn the flash off.my camera will fire off 40 photos in succession at one touch of the button. i usually manage to get 20 or so good ones and then just delete the rubbish!
Old 20 Mar 07, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=110574

Above is the guide I wrote gathering tips from many Dibbers.

Number 1 tip: Keep the camera still.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
Also this one Why do some of my close up get blurred dispite have auto focus?

Many thanks in advance for your help
All camera lenses have an "effective focal range" which in English means they will only work if they are a certain distance from an object at a given zoom setting.

A very nice system in your camera it seems...

"Rapid Autofocus Powerful optics combined with a high-resolution 3.3 megapixel 1/2.7 interline primary-color CCD require a powerful autofocus system. The Dimage Z1 features Rapid AF to ensure sharp images with minimum delay. The Rapid AF system uses high-speed drive to focus the lens quickly and smoothly - a 0.3 second focusing time at a focal length of 5.8mm and 0.4 seconds at 58mm -- giving the Dimage Z1 the world's fastest AF among digital cameras with a built-in 10X or greater optical zoom."

Also, autofocus has a very bad time in low light conditions. Most auto-focus systems work by analysing contrasting areas, and when its dark there isnt much to work with.

Hope this helps =) AndyJ.

Edited at 09:02 PM.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

I find the night parades notoriously hard to shoot. Moving floats do not work well with slow shutter speeds and you just get blurry lights!

Ideally, ask a CM where abouts on the parade route the floats stop and try and place yourself near one of those. A tripod will be pretty much essential for GREAT shots, although a well placed railing or bin can be utilised quite nicely!

I found Illuminations quite easy to shoot as there are many handy fences around the lake at Epcot and I simply balanced my camera steady on that and got some good shots (I wont post them as Ive posted them several times before ). Just keep still and I found an exposure of 1.6 seconds worked the best.

Wishes was harder as you have to get the exposure on the castle right (and it changes colour all the time) plus get the fireworks in. I focused on the castle then tried various exposure times. Unfortunately, most came out with too much "noise" as the camera defaulted to a very high ISO speed and I couldnt tell how bad it was on the little screen. I really dont think Ive ever seen a GREAT picture of Wishes and the castle taken handheld. You really need a tripod for this one - or a very steady surface in the right spot - but there isnt many accessible ones as Ive looked.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 07, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Andre
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by rusty30
Unfortunately, most came out with too much "noise" as the camera defaulted to a very high ISO speed and I couldnt tell how bad it was on the little screen.
You are going to love your new camera in that respect by the way, fabulous high-ISO performance.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 -•- Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 -•- Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13, Aug 14, Aug 15, Jul/Aug 16, Aug 17, Aug 18, Aug 19... and coming next, Jul/Aug 20
Disneyland Paris: Many times since 1992, lost count! -•- Disneyland California: Aug 2011 (for D23 Expo event), Aug 2014
Andre is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 07, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Andy, that guide is fantastic!
I was very disappointed with a lot of my night and firework pictures last year so those tips will really help me get some much better shots this year!
Many thanks!
Old 21 Mar 07, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

We shall expect night shots of luminious Crocs then shall we? They must sell glow in the dark ones by now!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread