Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 18 May 03, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post

California and the Golden West - day 7

Heather and Rick’s
California and the Golden West Tour 2003

Tuesday 29th April 2003

Las Vegas – Calico – Barstow, California

We set our alarm to wake us up today at 7.20am. The porter collected our bags at 7.55am and then Rick and I made our way down to the ground floor, we we had fruit and coffee from the snack bar for breakfast. Rick feels a lot better today. Just time for last minute postcard shopping in the Stardust Shopping Mall – just a few gift shops really. The coach leaves promptly at 9.10am and the weather is all set for a good day.

We arrive at Calico Ghost Town at 11.20am. The Sherrif gets on the coach and welcomes us all to Calico. There is a wild west gunfight outside the Candle shop at the top of the street at 11.30am – so we make our way up to the top. After the glitzs of Las Vegas, this pails by compairson. Now it is time to take a quick trip on the Calico and Odessa Railroad, were we can view the old mine entrances and how they moved the ore they mined. After a quick walk round the Maggie Mine – one of the original mines we take some pictures of a dirt devil or wind tornado maing it’s way across a dry river bed. I just have time to have a quick look round the Ye Olde Gift Shoppes and then we have to make our way back to the coach for departure at 12.30pm. Just as we are about to set off, the Sherrif boards the coach to tell us that a russler has boarded the coach and he has a wanted poster in his hand. Who’s name is on the poster – only Rick’s. I was quite happy to hand him over and collect the reward but they let him off with a warning. Just my luck!

The coach set’s off to Barstow, and we cross back into California just outside of Jean. We stop for lunch at the local factory outlet mall in Barstow at 1.00pm We have a quick burger and chips and then set out for a quick look round the shops. Back again on the coach for departure at 2.00pm. Colin gives us a quick quiz to while away the time – a logo identity quiz. Rick and I come 2nd with 24 out of 35 right answers.

We arrive in Tehacapi at 3.30pm for Pie and Coffee – just like the coffee shop in Twin Peaks. Damn fine pie!

We set off again at 4.00pm, this time for our last stop for the day – Visalia. We arrive at the Holiday Inn at 5.40pm. We are invited to a welcome reception by the hotel – cheese, fruit, tea and coffee. Laundry facilities are available in this hotel which we make use of. We go back to our room and settle down in front of the TV for an evening of “channel hopping” and there is nothing to do in the local area.

The weather all day was sunny but that cold wind hung on.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 03, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Sounds like a busy day.

LOL at the Wanted poster
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 03, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

You musy have been kn*****ed that night
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 03, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

LOl at the wanted poster - shame you couldn't collect the reward though!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List