Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 27 May 07, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirky123
Imagineer

Kirky123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
PSP/Nintendo DS bought in the USA

We want to buy our DS either a PSP or Nintendo DS Lite for his birthday and I was wondering if you can buy them in Florida or are they different to the ones in the UK. I realise the mains charger will be different but can you just buy a Uk cable?

Also are the games on a different Pal system . I know the Play station 2 games can't be puchased in the US for the UK machines but wondered because they are battery operated can the games be used for both.
Kirky123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 07, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post

In answer to your question - yes! They will work over here, but you'll need to buy a UK charger which can easily be bought in Game - or loads of other places probably!

US games will also work, as will UK ones! My DD's have a UK ds, and have games bought from USA and they work fine!

HTH
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 07, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Celica190
Imagineer

Only thing that won't work on a PSP is a movie UMD. They are region coded but the games aren't.

I can't wait to get over there and get some more games for mine! They're about half the price they are here.

1996 Days Inn Universal 1999, 2003 & 2005 Quality Inn International 2007 and 2011 Bahama Bay Resort
Celica190 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 07, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
spoony
Apprentice Imagineer

spoony's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is a bit of a deja vu moment as regards the DS Lite we were only discussing it a few days ago.

Basically a DS lite at $2 to £ + local tax and a UK adapter (bought over here) will total around £75 without games.

The saving are not significant as retailers such as Game will sell a NDS Lite for £100 with a game such as Nintendogs and sometimes others. Assume the game to be worth £15 and you only have a £10 difference.

Personally I see the PSP as more a boys machine and the NDS more a girls (I know some boys use a DS and my nieces use PSPs but in general the types of games on NDS are fluffy kittens, vet schools and platform games whereas the PSP is more war games, racing and gangsters.

Maybe someone will put me right though.
spoony is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 07, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spoony View Post
Personally I see the PSP as more a boys machine and the NDS more a girls (I know some boys use a DS and my nieces use PSPs but in general the types of games on NDS are fluffy kittens, vet schools and platform games whereas the PSP is more war games, racing and gangsters.
I see what you're saying as I own both consoles. My take on this is that the PSP is like the Xbox - it's ideal for someone to shut themselves away from reality and play (often violent) games without any interaction with others. On the other hand, the DS is superb for playing with friends, Mario Kart being the ultimate example. My sons hardly touch the PSP but the DS's get used on a regular basis.

I think this is the main reason the user friendly DS has out-sold the PSP around the globe. The PSP is ideal for your average moody teenager but the DS can (and is!) used by people of all generations.

Going back to the OP, the PSP and DS consoles and games are compatible and Game in the UK sell chargers for both. The price difference in the hardware is not that great but there is in the software with new DS games being $30 / £30 - so games in the USA are virtually half price.

Feb 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza on I-Drive / Sep 2003 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Feb 2005 - Westridge Villa on US27 / Aug 2007 - Indian Creek Villa / Aug 2015 - Indian Creek Villa / Mar 2019 - Red Lion Maingate
Elsie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 07, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Kirky123
Imagineer

Kirky123's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for all the advise. I might purchase the console in the UK so he can use it on the flight and just buy more games in the US. I just have to make up my mind which one. He has used both, he preferred the PSP console but as he's only 7 it looks like the DS has more suitable games.

Any more advise over suitability of the games for each would be great!

Kirky123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 07, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post

My DD's only have the DS, although my nephew has the PSP, and I would go for a DS for a 7 year old TBH, for all the reasons already stated. My DD's are 6 and 9 (nearly 7 and 10!) and they both still use their DS a lot.

Personally, I think a PSP is aimed more at the teenage market, but have a wander round game and have a look the different games for each.

HTH
Old 28 May 07, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Mine works fine here i even managed to have a pink one befoe they came out here and i picked up a charger at car boot for £2 so was very pleased.

Now When i go back just stock up on games (great for return flight)

Old 28 May 07, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post

i agree with rhibi my DS has a ds lite hes 6 i think the ds's are better for that age theres a huge variety of games for them not just puppies and kittens i do think psp's are more for older kids we are planning on getting some games when we go DH has got the psp
Old 28 May 07, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
I see what you're saying as I own both consoles. My take on this is that the PSP is like the Xbox - it's ideal for someone to shut themselves away from reality and play (often violent) games without any interaction with others. On the other hand, the DS is superb for playing with friends, Mario Kart being the ultimate example. My sons hardly touch the PSP but the DS's get used on a regular basis.

I think this is the main reason the user friendly DS has out-sold the PSP around the globe. The PSP is ideal for your average moody teenager but the DS can (and is!) used by people of all generations.

Going back to the OP, the PSP and DS consoles and games are compatible and Game in the UK sell chargers for both. The price difference in the hardware is not that great but there is in the software with new DS games being $30 / £30 - so games in the USA are virtually half price.
I'm not a moody teenager (typed indignantly)
Closed Thread