Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 07, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Question Qs on 1 meg SD cards?

Both myself and DW have cameras that will only allow up to 1 gig sd cards, however the missus camera goes all day without change of batteries:angry:
Mine just eats them up hers is a nikon and mine a vivitar.

I thought about getting a faster transfer rate card for mine which states up to 133 times faster which would help me reduce the amount of time my camera is on for!

But equally would like to expeiement with faster cards and can only assume its like using a 400 speed film as opposed to the 256 cards we are using now.

my camera is capable of taking 256 high res pics with a 1 gig card or and hours video, think i read that right...

can anyone shed any further light on this?

cheers
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 07, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RuddClan
Apprentice Imagineer

RuddClan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Not an expert but my view:

There is a difference if you use a high speed card, I have a high speed 1GB SD card in my camera and you can notice it saving pics faster than on the normal speed 256mb card I have. DS also has different speed cards on his PSP and its (access speed) noticable with them. I think I read somewhere in the past you can use MMC cards instead of SD and they are faster, is that right?

I have a problem with the camera saying it can only take cards up to 1GB (I know your right I have seen it on cameras) but how will it know? The card is only holding the data of the pics and not affecting the running of the camera. Any techy peeps out there let us know.

Ok rant over tiggermeister, enjoy Athens
Old 30 May 07, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

It is common for certain devices to be able to use smaller cards. None of my card readers at home would read the 2gb SD card I bought at Best Buy last year.

The battery thing is also a common problem - especially if you are using AAs - in future try and pick a camera that uses a dedicated rechargeable. My little Canon lasted on average 4 days in Florida (averaging 150 shots a day). My mum has a Nikon Coolpix that uses AAs and was forever having to replace them (averaging maybe 20 pics a day!).

Film speed aka ISO 100, 200, 400 has nothing whatsoever to do with how fast the camera takes a picture, it is how sensitive the sensor is to light - the lowest speeds are for bright sunlight and the higher speeds are for darker conditions (most digi cams will set this for you automatically).

Your problem is probably shutter lag - and unfortunately a faster card will help a little but not enough to notice a huge difference on this sort of camera. It is a common problem with digi cams although the newer models tend to be better and certain brands tend to be much better than others. I have a Kodak which has simply appalling shutter lag and I rarely use it because of this problem, even though it takes great pictures. Even trying a pro, very fast card it made very little difference.

My honest opinion is to think about changing your camera if thats possible - a small Canon or Fuji would be ideal.
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 07, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
daviewat
Imagineer

Rusty`s advice is the best here sadly :-(

Transfer rates are only critical when used with a fast camera.

It is all down to the process speed of the camera transfering the information captured to writing it to the card.

Like a computor the slower the write speed the slower the processing of the image.

The newer models of cameras have a faster write speed by default and therefore transfer images quicker to the card, then the write speed of the card becomes important. So with older, and sadly cheaper camera models the write speed matters not, as the processing speed is by default slow.

This is a defining factor in the pricing of cameras that are digital, the slower the processing the cheaper they are, so non generic models are by far a lot cheaper.

It really is a case of what you get is what you pay for. Forget mega pixels and so forth and look for fast deafault write speeds.

Regal Palms March/April 2005/6/7/11/12
Now Miami whenever possible
daviewat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 07, 02:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Have to say rusty, that my wife uses a coolpix 5600 and out runs mine 10 fold!

so thats intresting to learn that your mums wasnt that good!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 07, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

My mums Nikon is one of their real cheapies - I think the better models are probably fine! Hers eats AA batteries - but then she insists on turning it off after every picture - only to turn in back on again 3 seconds later so I shouldnt be surprised really
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 07, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread