Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jun 07, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pigginpink
Apprentice Imagineer

Question Autistic child what to take

My son is autistic and has ADHD is on medication, got a letter from GP to take with us saying he has a diagnosis of ADHD and ASD, what else do I have to take with me for this holiday, obviously he doesnt look disabled and he has very very good speech, (swears alot) say inappropriate things and has his rituals. Just trying to make things as easy as I can.

The plane is worrying me as he might be rude to some people, or embarras us as he has before. After that not much worried, just about the crowds and noise levels as he is partially deaf he still cannot tolerate loud noises.
pigginpink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 07, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Not to sure if this would help, but at my dd playgroup a little boy there is autistic and he wears a badge 'i'm autistic, whats your excuse?' When he first came to playgroup of lot of parents were tutting etc at his behaviour, i pointed out his badge to a few, and it gave them alot more understanding. I think this indirect approach works very well with getting people to understand that sometimes a child can be behaving the way they do due to medical problems.

Other than this i cannot offer much advice but hope you have a great time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 07, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
You will find in Disney people are having so much fun themselves that they don't notice our children are a little different. Does your son have a favourite item that calms him down, if so you could take that.

Who are you flying with? We fly with Virgin and always ask for a bulkhead seat for that extra bit of privacy.

It used to bother me a lot when strangers stared at DS2 but now I couldn't care less.

Caron
Old 7 Jun 07, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pigginpink
Apprentice Imagineer

We are flying with Thomas Cook,
pigginpink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 07, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Take some of his favorite things especially those that calm him down. My DS is very fussy about what he eats so I take a couple of boxes of his favorite breakfast cereal as he won't eat the US version.

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
... It used to bother me a lot when strangers stared at DS2 but now I couldn't care less.

Caron
Same here

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 07, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
shelly
Imagineer

shelly's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 42
Guidebook Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by obizzymad View Post
Not to sure if this would help, but at my dd playgroup a little boy there is autistic and he wears a badge 'i'm autistic, whats your excuse?' When he first came to playgroup of lot of parents were tutting etc at his behaviour, i pointed out his badge to a few, and it gave them alot more understanding. I think this indirect approach works very well with getting people to understand that sometimes a child can be behaving the way they do due to medical problems.

Other than this i cannot offer much advice but hope you have a great time.
have seen children in the shop where i work (longleat safari park) wearing t-shirts similar to this. works very well.
Old 7 Jun 07, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Turner
Imagineer

All excited kids behave badly, don't worry, you only notice your own. I'll bet there will be plenty of little angels jumping up and down, pulling on the back of chairs and generally being kids on the plane.
You might want to ask for quieter seats, for DS's comfort and privacy though.
Good luck,
Old 7 Jun 07, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
pigginpink
Apprentice Imagineer

thank you everyone
Old 7 Jun 07, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

If you need help regarding hearing impairments, specific questions feel free to PM me.

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 07, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
Hi, my son is autistic too, i have also got a letter from his doctor with a brief description of his diagnosis. I informed Virgin of his condition and they have said they have reserved seats for us and that we can check-in on Premium Economy to help with the queues. I've done this for our last few holidays in europe and we've luckily had the seats at the front the plane where it's quieter. I always used to worry about my DS having a big meltdown on the plane or at the airport but he's dealt with everything really well.
I always take a few familiar toys with us and and try to stick within DS's routines best we can. My DS's obession at the moment is Pirates, especially the Pirates of the Caribbean and Peter Pan so for the plane i have got loads of Pirate books and stickers etc. My son does have lots of "odd" ways but i'll not be bothered what people think, we'll be in Disney
We're just going to go at our childrens pace and take each day at a time.
I'm sure that you'll have a brilliant time
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread