Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jun 07, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPlanner73
Apprentice Imagineer

We need some help - long post

Dh and I have been in tears this weekend.

Charlie our son, who is 7, was diagnosed last year with Dyspraxia. He is also on the wait list to see what other problems he may have (he has been on this wait list since Dec 05 and we have been told he has another 6 / 8 months to wait)

The problem started, as most do, whilst trying to do his homework. We know he finds spelling and writing difficult, however, we feel he is slipping further and further backwards. It came to a climax when he was sobbing his heart out saying he finds school boring that other children are calling his work rubbish.

Dh and I have given this letter in to the school today -
Charlie has tried very hard at this weeks homework. As you will be able to see he has started to write some text about Victorian Children’s toys. The text that he did write took him nearly an hour to complete and we needed to stop it as he was getting increasing upset whilst writing.

We were, however, not letting him copy what we had previously typed out on the computer, but was making him sound out words, very simple words, ie “with” and even when he did eventually spell it correctly, when he had to spell it again 5 minutes later it was as if the previous 5 minutes did not exist. This is why it took 1 hour to write 20-30 words. He also had to spell train. He could not get the long A sound and when we told him it was ai and the same as in spelling rain or gain, when asking him to spell either of those he went blank, and then even could not spell train again.

When I asked what was wrong he then broke down crying saying that school is boring and then he explained that he wants to sit on his own. When I asked why he said that whenever he does any writing the boys on his table (he mentioned Andrew) start laughing and saying his work is rubbish.

As you can imagine for Darren and I to hear this is not only sad, however, worrying that at such a young age Charlie is starting to dislike school work and worries about people laughing at him.

We are concerned about the level of protection given to Charlie from his peers and this could lead to behaviour problems in school and at home.

Can we please arrange a time and day for a meeting with you so we can express our feelings face to face.

On advice from the Dyspraxic Association, they list the following symptoms for a 7 year old suffering from dyspraxia. This is taken from the following website dyspraxiafoundation.u...u_symptoms.php

The school have said that he is not far enough behind to be statemented (they said this needs to be 2 years) so do we have to wait until he is so far behind until we can get any help ?
Old 25 Jun 07, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post

I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems getting the help your DS needs. Have you heard of parent partnership.

Here is the web site for you to check them out.

parentpartnership.uk/...es/whatare.htm

Good luck {{{hug}}}
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 07, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

I don't know if statementing varies depending on condition, but DS was statemented in his 2nd year of school, there was no mention of how far behind he was ( in fact he wasn't behind, in some areas he was ahead ) it was more to do with setting out which areas he needed help in and how the school would go about providing this help. I thought this was how it worked with all conditions, hope someone else can clarify it for you.It's upsetting if you know your child isn't achieving their best .
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 07, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ceri
Imagineer

ceri's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh this makes me so mad :angry: we went to hell and back getting DD's dyslexia diagnosed, in the end we went to see our GP who is himself dyslexic as are his two children. Now I don't now if it is the same in your area, but he informed me that in our area it is all down to funding!
Apparently if the school refer children then they have to pay for it , whereas if the parents contact the lea for assesment then it does not come out of the school budget :angry:
After battleing with the school for an age, I contacted the lea myself and DD was seen within a week.
It seems that because DD was not disruptive then the school didn't want to part with their budget!

On a more positive note once DD (dyslexic) and my mates son (dyspraxic) moved to high school then all the support really clicked into place DD is predicted 11 A-C grades in her GCSES as is my mates son.
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} for you, keep your chin up and keep fighting for the help that your son needs
Ceri x

April 2001 Hawthorn Suites LBV,
April 2002 QIP,
Oct 2003 Homewood Suites Universal,
April 2005 Villa Greater Groves,
June 2005 Europa Park Germany,
Sept 2007 Boston, Fort Wilderness Cabin & HRH.
Nov /Dec 2008 HRH, Cypress Point & FW cabins.
Oct 2009 OKW & Boston
ceri is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 07, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Clare, Keep fighting

Ceri,
What a frustrating and at the same time inspiring post.

Well done for all your hard work, its must have been very hard work.

Our son is blind and boy have we been through the mill in every which way we can, every door has been closed for us but we have opened them slowly, we have a long way to go but we are making a difference and will make a difference for other children to come.

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 07, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post

phonics

Just a nugget of info I'm literacy coordinator of a primary school. All children are different but one simple thing I'd check is reading resources. Sounds like your son has some gaps / delays in his phonic knowledge. Is he on a phonic reading scheme as this would really increase his confidence and spelling "independence". The best phonic reading scheme I've come across (and I've used lots) is Read Write Inc you can google it. Ruth Miskin is the author its having a major impact on the all round literacy of our children who struggle and its very enjoyable resource..
Hope this is of some help
Good luck with all you do I'm afraid lots of things in education are down to funding and as a teacher and parent I find this very frustrating.
Old 25 Jun 07, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post

This really makes my blood boil

This really makes me angry..

I would phone your LEA and demand that your son is assessed.
My son has cerebral palsy and has had a statement since startin school, (he is now 101/2) But every year we have to go through the dreaded 'review' process, and every year they cut his support hours down due to 'lack of funds'
so much so that he is now a year behind his peers in most subjects. He needs help in all aspects not just physical.

Our kids are our future, who gives anyone the right to decide what help any child should or shouldn't receive . Every child is entitled to a full education regrdless of their ability. My son is not stupid/thick/dim or any of the other names so often used, on the contrary he is extremely bright, he just needs a bit more time .

Dont give up, fight your corner its hard, and a continual battle but you will be rewarded tenfold.

Best wishes,

Sally xx
Old 25 Jun 07, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post

It seems that the whole 'statementing' thing has more to do with resources, or lack of, than the special needs of children and that is so wrong. LEA's are often very short of funds for special needs assessment and provision of support in schools.

Keep pushing hard for an assessment, you have the right to approach the LEA directly as a parent, or even get an initial assessment done privately if need be. Maybe put more emphasis on your son's emotional and psychological wellbeing, your GP or health visitor might be able to push things on this basis. It does seem that the disruptive child gets priority whereas those who quietly struggle on get pushed to the back of the queue.

Every year of education is precious and it is hard to make up for lost time, so keep fighting. If you can find an advocacy/parent's rights group in your area or even just a group of parents who have already been through the whole process, you might be able to get valuable help and support.

Wishing you all the best and sending {{{hugs}}} for your DS.
Old 25 Jun 07, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
TobyK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 138
I would avoid phonics, actually, because if your child has an auditory discrimination problem, then no amount of phonics will help with his reading; it's like holding up a piece of paper to a visually impaired person over and over again, saying "You WILL see this"! I would concentrate on other methods of teaching reading for the moment - perhaps looking at the shape of the word (look-say methods), syntactic (what words precede/follow the unknown word), and just initial phonic cues.
If his reading is age appropriate, and it is just his writing, then I woud look at aids to help him - programmes such as Clicker 5 (a programme in which you can tailor wordbanks, and can also read back what your child has written), or Textease. Maybe the teacher is already using these in class?
TobyK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 07, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

My son is 13 today we have finally had a diagnosis of dyspraxia.I will be following your thread with interest.
Closed Thread