Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 27 Jun 07, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post

excellent treatment-sory its a bit long

hello everyone

just returned from 3 weeks at disney this morning. After everything I have read before going I was a bit concerned how I was going to manage (my husband had a stroke 6 years ago and still has ongoing props which I will not go into) First of all I booked us into asmusic, then I notified virgin before we went of his cond, when I went to magic kingdom I showed them the letter from doctor requesting assistance.

As soon as we arrived at manchester airport we were treated really well, were given good seats on aircraft and staff were made aware of dh condition.
Couldn't praise them high enough.

The staff at asmu, were great, because they called a cab for usto go to the Hospital at Celebration (for blood tests)they were really nice,and on returning to hotel they asked how we'd got on and gave us a free call back home to our doctor.

When we went to MK, we went to the guest relation desk and showed them a letter from our doctor explaning dh's condition, they gave us a guest assitance card for the time we were their and will say this was worth its weight in gold. The cm's that we showed it to new exactly what it was and treated my dh very well, because his disability is what the americans call invisible, he feels very embarrased about using it (he should really have had a wheelchair or ecv but he is to proud, he says he spent enough time in one when he had his sroke, but is so obstinaste, it would have made life easier for everyone, but I can understand where he's coming from)

Thw other person who I should thank is Ed the manager of the disney transportation. If you have an ecv or wheelchair you are automatically loaded onto the disney buses first. If you are disabled you que with everyone else, but as you know peole from other parts of the world think its a free for all when the buses arrive, therefor we always found ourselves being packed on (sometimes dangerously in my opinion) and standing up because dh cannot move very quickly, and is abit clumsey. One night we were waiting for a bus at dtd and although we were at the front of the que never managed to get on two buses. In the end we decided to get a taxi, we were walking down the bus rank, and explained our proplem to a man (ED)who was sorting the buses out, at that another bus from our resort turned up, didn't manage to get on that either, So we decided to get a taxi Ed saw us going and told us to hang on. He then took to a disney people casrrier and took us home. How about that for some magic

Throughout our stay we've had little bits of true magic, totally unexpected
and very much appreciated, making our holiday truly wonderful, and memorable from start to finish.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 07, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Welcome back So glad to hear that you found plenty of Disney magic and that your DH was treated well.
Old 28 Jun 07, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
That's great to hear, thanks for posting about your magical trip.

Caron
Old 28 Jun 07, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Welcome back, so glad your DH was treated special, I am sure he deserves it.XX
Old 28 Jun 07, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Glad you had such good treatment all round and that DH didn't have any problems with his invisible illness in WDW either, did you still get to use an alternative entrance at attractions?
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 07, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Lil_Missy
Imagineer

Lil_Missy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
That is so great.

I know what you mean about the GAC and invisible illnesses. My DH2B has an invisible illness which means he has a stamina problem and just cannot manage to stand in queues at all. The GAC was priceless for us and meant we could do lots of things we wouldn't have got done without it. We had the one which let us use the alternative queuing area. It was like a fast pass for all the rides and shows. But before I get slammed we didn't get any more done then anyone else would have done because we really could only go to the parks in the mornings and then Roger had to rest for the rest of the afternon and then maybe just go back for a meal in the evening.

Anyway it is great you had such a magical time there.
Coronado Springs Resort October 2011 - QSDP Dining Report
Art of Animation October 2013
Lil_Missy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 07, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Disney certainly come up trumps when it comes to Disabilities, it certainly makes a holiday that bit more special. This is why my DS and DH enjoy disney so much, as nothing is to much trouble.

Jules
signtalker is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 07, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Welcome Back,

Great to hear you received first class treatment for you and your Hubby on your trip

Its also nice to know those kind of helpfull people are still around
Old 28 Jun 07, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
so glad you had a great time and everyone was so helpful, makes such a difference
Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 07, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post

glad you had a great time can you tell me more about gac card we are going on holiday in september and my husband had a stroke 3 years ago which was a tough time as he was only 43 and with 3 boys was made even harder ,2 of the boys have adhd so i think this card might be useful to us could you tell me more about it please ,thank you
Closed Thread