Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 07, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post

You guys are the best!

Hello All,

I am a Newbie and just wanted to say hi and thank you. Why the thank you ask? Well, I am a mother of two boys with Autism and we are going to WDW Florida for the first time in less than two weeks time! My boys are aged 13 and 14.

I say thank you because of all the wonderful tips and advise on here. Things I have not thought of such as, getting a doctor's letter. I was under the impression that the boys' DLA letters would suffice as they always have when we've gone to places like Alton Towers, Disneyland in Paris and so on.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 07, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeymouse06
Imagineer

Hi tiron and welcome to this wonderful site hope you enjoy your time at WDW i am sure your boys will love it there HAVE LOTS OF FUN
Old 22 Jul 07, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post

hello and a big warm welcome to the Dibb!

You'll find lots of helpful info on here, if you can't find something just ask, we're a (mostly) friendly bunch.
I hope you and your boys have a wonderful trip.
Old 22 Jul 07, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Alyson
VIP Dibber

Alyson's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Glad you are finding the site useful, I'm always finding stuff I didn't know about on here, it's adictive
Alyson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 07, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello,
A huge welcome to the dibb, and have an absolutely fabulous time.

Let us know all the juicy details when you get back lol

Best wishes
Sally
Old 23 Jul 07, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Welcome aboard Tiron! You will have a fantastic time at WDW. Probably perfect age to take your boys as they will be able to access most rides. Only problem I'll have this year is telling my son he's too big to fit on Dumbo! Dare say he'll try though! Have fun!

xxMel
Old 23 Jul 07, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

hello and welcome to this fantastic site me and most of my family are addicted to it and you will be soon, hope you have a nice time at WDW
Old 23 Jul 07, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
The-JAXX
Imagineer

The-JAXX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hello and welcome
DLP-May02,Oct05,April08,FLORIDA- May03,Holiday inn,Xmas04QualityInnApril06VillasofSomerset/RPR,Aug07BahamaBay/RPR,Dec08 BahamaBay,Aug10 BahamaBay/HRH,Feb11 New York,Aug11 Cypress,Aug12 BahamaBay/Vegas,Feb14 BahamaBay,Aug14 Sanfran/Vegas/LA,Aug15 Bahamabay/Aug16 vegas/monteray /san diego/Mar17 NewYork/Dec17 Disney Cruise/Bahama Bay/Jun18 Florida/Sep18 Seattle/Hawaii/Dec18 Florida/Feb19 ParisDisney/Jun19 Barbados/Dec19 Bahama Bay
The-JAXX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 07, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi and Welcome!

Great site for getting even the silliest question answered!

I have a daughter 13 who is autistic with aspergers and have been for the last 5 years to Orlando.

Its a great place for them not to feel out of place and believe me the Americans are far more aware,educated and empathetic about autism. Far better than over here where I am constantly made to feel a leper! lol

The Guest Assistance Card from Disney and Universal Pass for Disabilities are excellent and available after a short chat and proof with UK Doctor's letter. This is a godsend as the parks do tend to give them sensory overload and this enables you to manage time more effectively. I felt some guilt when using this the first time, as you normally use disabled access entrances at rides, however I feel that for once she is being treated well and also they give this passes to extremely overweight Americans( Who sit on scooters with massive turkey legs in their hands! You will see! ) so guilt subsided rapidly!

Take some time out from the parks, relax with a little routine and you will have fab time!

Oh nearly forgot if flying with Virgin Atlantic they are fab with their Special Needs Assistance!

ENJOY!
Old 23 Jul 07, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and all the very helpful information. We are flying with First Choice Airways. We booked the whole holiday in its entirety with them including car hire and villa accommodation.
Closed Thread