Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 07, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Autism awareness badges...

I've just made my son several t-shirts for our trip to Orlando in December, using t-shirt transfer paper. I've done this a few times before, as Ben is quite severely autistic, and people do get a bit wary of him, as he is 6' 5" and can be quite intimidating, and because he looks so 'normal', people don't understand. On the back of the t-shirt, I put a logo; "Please be patient, I'm autistic."This really helps when we get accused of queue jumping when we use the GAC. Ben's school used the badges on his uniform when he was younger, so I nabbed the idea! What I wondered is, would anyone with an autistic child like me to make them a badge to iron on to a t-shirt for their child? No cost, just thought it may help someone.
By the way, on the front of the t-shirt is a picture of Shrek,his fave atm, and a logo which reads " I'm Not An Ogre... I'm Autistic!" He loves it! Only problem is, he won't take it off now!

xxMel
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 07, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
highland lass
Imagineer

Originally Posted by melspice View Post
I've just made my son several t-shirts for our trip to Orlando in December, using t-shirt transfer paper. I've done this a few times before, as Ben is quite severely autistic, and people do get a bit wary of him, as he is 6' 5" and can be quite intimidating, and because he looks so 'normal', people don't understand. On the back of the t-shirt, I put a logo; "Please be patient, I'm autistic."This really helps when we get accused of queue jumping when we use the GAC. Ben's school used the badges on his uniform when he was younger, so I nabbed the idea! What I wondered is, would anyone with an autistic child like me to make them a badge to iron on to a t-shirt for their child? No cost, just thought it may help someone.
By the way, on the front of the t-shirt is a picture of Shrek,his fave atm, and a logo which reads " I'm Not An Ogre... I'm Autistic!" He loves it! Only problem is, he won't take it off now!

xxMel
hi mel just to say what a great idea you sound a great mum - have a lovely holiday kim
Old 15 Aug 07, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Hi Mel. What a great idea. I might make some transfers for my autistic daughters t-shirts. She has a thing about being stared at but if the sign is on her back she can't see people looking at her. Thank you for the tip

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 07, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
What a great idea, though my Ben isn't quite 6' 5" just yet (he's only 12!) I think they would stop some of the "looks" that we get also when using the GAC in the Fastpass queue, though to be honest, a couple of minutes with Ben repeating "get on the ride" a few thousand times, I think those around us are pretty much made aware that he isn't quite the same as other 12 year olds!
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 07, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

That's a fantastic idea.. nice one Mel! XXXXXXXXXX
Old 15 Aug 07, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post

What a great idea, I love the 'I'm not an ogre' slogan.
Old 15 Aug 07, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dkra2007
Apprentice Imagineer

I think that's a brilliant idea. I always feel bad using the GAC but I know DS would not wait in line and would get very frustrated. My DD14 feels very embarassed too.

It's a bit too late for me to do them for this trip as I go next week
Old 15 Aug 07, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post

brilliant idea mel ,
to late for us to think of now but deffo consider it for next time -this is our 1st time so im really nervous as to how my DS (wh`s 12) will cope ,he as Aspergers and ADHD and will have difficulty in the queues and crowds.
Old 15 Aug 07, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post

I use these but DS isn't too happy to wear a badge lately. He just tries to pull it off!
Old 15 Aug 07, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
whambar
Imagineer

whambar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4
wow I think you may have something there mel - maybe ask the N.A.S if you could let people know on there your idea? I took my DS(12yrs) today to clinic and he is now 5ft 4ins(& a bit) and weighs nearly 11 stone(he doesnt look podgy at back just a bit of a belly & chest) dietician said gotta wait til he reaches his full height potential as he is on growth spurt before getting the excess weight off() - my Ds doesnt want people to know about his Aspergers so he may not wear one but if it has a character it could work - I will have one if possible although dont know how its done?

Edited at 11:47 PM. Reason: added
whambar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread