Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 25 Aug 07, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Ear's - Flying and water problems

I hope this is the right place to ask?

I am almost deaf in my right ear and have terrible pain a) when flying and b) when water gets in it.

All this "suck boiled sweets" when flying doesn't help at all. Anyone any ideas?

Also, I'm planning on a trip to Discovery Cove and a few trips to the waterparks, and love to snorkel, but can only keep my head under water for a couple of minutes or the pain is unbearable. I also don't want to put anything like cotton wool in my ear to stop the water getting in, incase it comes out and causes problems with any of the wildlife.

Again, anyone have any idea? Can you get some kind of earplugs that will stay in while immersed?

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

Trip Report - December 2010
Food Report - November 2013
Florida Road Trip - November 2015
disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 07, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pigginpink
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, buy ear planes for the journey and alway use ear plugs for the water parks and swimming pools. We all bought some whilst on holiday for the pool and they were great, wish we had got ear planes for the journey as we all had earache when we got back for a couple of days rather than on the way there. Hope this helps
pigginpink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 07, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Thanks, where do I get them from?

And what are "ear planes" exactly?

Ramada 2001, Quality Inn Plaza 2004, Imperial Swan/Caribbean Beach 2008, Imperial Swan/Animal Kingdom Lodge/Econolodge 2010, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside/Bay Lake Tower 2013, Florida Road Trip/Beach Club Villas 2015, Port Orleans Riverside/Villas at Grand Floridian 2017, Comfort Inn/Port Orleans Riverside 2018, Port Orleans Riverside 2019, Castle Inn & Suites, Anaheim 2020

disneydaft70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 07, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Tesco do the proper swimming ear plugs for £1.47 (includes the thing for your nose aswell!) Ear planes are a posh name for ear plugs! See HERE
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 07, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

Brilliant, I'll have me some of those, thanks Kes ;-)

Old 25 Aug 07, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cyclospora
Imagineer

Cyclospora's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Ear planes are brilliant. I got a Boots make and they apparently there's a little regulator thingy!

I used them yesterday and had no pain for the first time ever! they don't look like normal ear plugs to me!

May tomorrow be a perfect day - may you find love and laughter along the way...
Cyclospora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 07, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
ear planes are different to ear plugs. They regulate the pressure in your ears so they don't hurt
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 07, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
disneydaft70
Imagineer

So my ipod earphones aren't going to have the same effect then? Boo!

I'll definitely get some. It's not usually bad taking off and while I'm up there (I have the motion sickness to contend with then) it's the decent. Ouch!

Old 28 Nov 07, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi my daughter suffers terrible on the plane with her ears and then always gets an ear infection. The last two times we have been to Florida I have bought my daughter ear planes and they are fantastic. She is only eleven and used to dread flying.
As for what to use in the water parks we chanced one this year and low and behold another ear infection, I always take antibiotics with us now but while we were there I seen a girl with what looked like a plug in her ear. I looked everywhere for these and I found them in super target on our last night. There a bit like soft putty but come in mad colors. You push them into your ear but not right down. It creates a seal and they can be used a few times.There called swim ears and there are about twelve in the pack. I couldn't say how well they work as we never got to try them out.
If you do suffer I would advise you to take some antibiotics with you as seeing a doctor over in Florida can be very expensive.
Old 28 Nov 07, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post

When DS had grommets I sent away for a swimming band. I will try and find out from where but it was a while ago. He had putty stuff for the inside of his ears and then like a elastic blue head band that covered his ears and fastened with Velcro at the top. It did not look daft and had something like swim aid on the side. I will see if I can find any photos etc.
Closed Thread