Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Sep 03, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

Exclamation Have booked for California for next year... need urgent advice though

I have been looking in to going to California for next year for a few months.I couldn't decide on Easter or August (a bit like for 2005 to go to Florida!) After reading how hot the weather was in Las Vegas this August I thought it would be way too hot to even go out in.

So after getting a few prices for Easter,I spoke to someone at virgin Holidays and Virgin Travelstore who weren't particularly helpful,It wasn't until I called Funway Holidays that the girl had the sense to tell me if I went on the Wednesday before Easter (I had been asking fior them to price the Thursday & Friday) Wednesday fell in a cheaper price range.For PE flights flying in to San Francisco and out of LA it was £650,I think that is a brilliant price for a PE flight to California.SO I booked! I just booked the first 4 nights accomodation at The Handelrey and can decide the rest afterwards.

Then I got to thinking and worrying if I have chosen the right time to go?We fly home the last Thursday in Easter holiday so arrive back the next day Friday.I am worried how bad the jet-lag will be for Mattie .Is 2 days enough to get his body clock semi back to normal ready to go to school? Then I'm thinking it doesn't leave us long to save up for the holiday and wish I'd booked the 'big' holiday for August as Easter is only 5 months after our big October holiday to Orlando.Not sure if the weather is warm enough in LA and travelling around(I'm not expecting warmth in san Fran!) will it only be LV that is warm then ?

August means Mattie will have loads of time to get over his jet-lag and change of routine.The downside of August I guess is is it just too hot to do things like go to the Grand Canyon etc.I am expecting Easter to maybe be even busier than August in LA,LV etc.

Lastly ,when I called Bon BVoyage to say I might need to change that weren't too happy aboput it.They told me the PE in August was around £1,200,although they don't have the final price for a couple of weeeks But on checking Virgin and Funway they are more like £1,000 and I don't know if they are saying that as they now have my deposit and I can't 'shop around' now.

To top it all I haven't told Terry yet I've booked this at all I should really ask his opinion too

Any thoughts if I should change this booking tomorrow?

Easter---Pro's-------weather cooler
great PE price

--- Cons--------not long to save up for holiday
very close to previous big holiday
only two days to cope with jet-lag
weather too cool?
missing another 3 days from this school year(plus the 8 this October)

August----Pros ---- -Longer to save up for holiday
nice gap between holidays
better weather some places
couple of weeks to get over jet lag

----- Cons------PE price much higher
Too hot in LV for us
DIBBERS PLEASE HELP! I want to be excited about this holiday but am so sure I've made a mistake I'm agonizing instead.

Edited at 04:30 PM.
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinders Mum
Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

Cinders Mum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14
I find Teri is much better at coping with the jet lag than we are so hoefully Mattie will be too, and you're right August would be wayyyy too hot for any of you to enjoy, I think you've made the right decision to do Easter and it is more than 6 months away!

I think I would take my chances with what you've booked and you're right Funway are a great company, really helpful. I wouldn't want a grizzly child in August heat for anything

Good luck

Val
xx

HELEN KNOWLES
GOLD PERSONAL TRAVEL COUNSELLOR

T: 01205 804340
E:helen.knowles@travelcounsellors.com
http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/helen.knowles

Travel Counsellors Trust Protection on Every Part of your Booking. ATOL Bonded.
Cinders Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

I'd stick with the Easter at that price Kaz!

As for jet lag - we arrived home on the Monday morning from Florida, Shaun went back to work on Wednesday - and the rest of us were fine, with the girls and me going back to school/work on the Thursday. The trick for us is to stay awake all day on the day we arrive home (no mean feat!), then get up by 8am on the following day. This way we force ourselves into British time - it takes a couple of days, but it's far better than when we suffered for up to a week previously!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

Thanks for your thoughts.

I guess if you could read between the lines I was subconsciously hoping that you would chose Easter

I just hate it when I make a decision and this is a big holiday and decision,and then feel I've made a mistake, as it goes round and round in my head,especially when I go to bed!

Any more thoughts?
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally posted by Kazzie
I just hate it when I make a decision and this is a big holiday and decision,and then feel I've made a mistake, as it goes round and round in my head,especially when I go to bed!

Any more thoughts?
Yes Karen - stop worrying about it

Bet you'll have a fantastic time. Have you told Terry yet?
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Wow Kaz, I am not jealous

The holiday sounds brilliant and the price for Easter is great especially as it is PE.
I dont think you have anything to worry about. Kids are strange I remember one year coming back into the UK at 5:30am and the kids wanted to go back to school the same day! so I let them! They were fine.
Try not to worry about it
Old 10 Sep 03, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post

If we had the chance, we would go again around Easter time. The weather should be OK, maybe a bit cold, but you will miss the smog and hot weather in August. Also, we were at the Grand Canyon just after Easter and it was perfect. When we arrived back in the UK it was late afternoon, so we didn't have to stay up all day before it was time for bed, not like the Orlando flight that arrives early in the morning and you have to cope with the whole day before it's time for bed. Heather
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Karen hope this helps-- past weather history for this year -- August did look dammmm hot lol wunderground/weathers...=1&year =2003

When is Easter again? March or April ( ok i've done both for you )

This is March

wunderground/weathers...=1&year =2003

Looks a bit nippy

This is April ( looks better )

wunderground/weathers...=1&year =2003

Hope that all makes sense.

jj...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 03, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Hi Karen , me and jj must think alike...while he was posting the links to wunderground I was looking at it for the historical weather temps! LOL ( its a great site)

Anyway Las Vegas in the past few years has been from the upper 60's to the lower 80's for the daily high.

Los angeles has been mid 60's to lower 70's

San Fransisco a bit chilly upper 50's to lower 60's

These temps all represent the daily high so the earlier and later temps are cooler.

The thing is if you are touring around and looking at the sites do you need hot weather? The best pools are in the hotels in Vegas (as long as you are staying in them )and the weather is hot enough for swimming there.

Do not go to vegas for the Friday or Sat night as the are much more expensive than the weekdays.

I just Loooooooove Vegas , in fact I love Los Angeles AND Grand Canyon and you will have a fabulous time...if you need any help with the vegas hotels just post Ive stayed in a few of them!
Old 11 Sep 03, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

Thanks to you all SO much I will call and tell them I will keep with my dates already booked for Easter.

Have not told DH yet though,I'm not sure of his reaction I'll let you know when I do!
Closed Thread