Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Sep 08, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

Eskdale, Lake District, September 08 - 3 day mini-trippie.

Eskdale, Lake District, September 08

Just thought I’d share a few photos from a long weekend break Amanda & I have just taken in the western lakes.

We considered camping, but decided to splash out (thank you MasterCard) on a decent room with a bath. The one problem we had was that we were taking our Staffie, Ruby, so we Googled ‘dog-friendly’ places. This brought up a few options, with us choosing the Woolpack Inn near Boot, in Eskdale, virtually at the bottom of the Hardknott Pass. A couple of reasons: they brew their own beer, the food looked better than average, and, the piece de resistance, the best room has a 2-person spa bath!

Friday

So, after sorting the kids out on Friday morning, we pack the car and drive up to Eskdale. Our room isn’t ready yet, but we park up and leave the stuff in the car. It’s 11.45 as we head off towards the Hardknott Pass. Here’s the pub behind us..

.. and Esk Pike looming ahead…

This walk heads along the beautiful, lonely valley of Upper Eskdale from the bottom of the Pass, before climbing up an incredible series of waterfalls…

…to Great Moss, a remote plateau surrounded by a ring of England’s finest mountains, including Scafell Pike…

We cross the Moss and scramble up the steep and rocky gill of Little Narrowcove, arriving at the top of Scafell Pike, England’s highest peak. It’s a bit grey this high up, with the clouds just scraping the summit, but we can see our next objective, the neighbouring peak of Scafell.

Although only a few meters lower than the Pike, the climb requires us to descend almost 1000 feet before making another gill scramble ….

.. eventually reaching the top.

The views aren’t too clever, due to the cloudbase, so we don’t linger. Our route down is a little complicated due to some dodgy navigating by the walk leader, and by the time we reach the pub, it’s almost dark…..

We have walked about 15 miles today and climbed the two highest mountains in England…. we repair to our room and have some food before dozing in the spa for a couple of hours and drinking a bottle of Prosecco Raboso.

Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

Saturday:

We are up and about in time for a seriously good, Cumberland Breakfast at 8.00am before setting off on today’s walk. The weather is lovely again!

We have chosen something a little ‘easier’ today: a modest 10 miler with only a couple of thousand feet of climbing! The walk starts in Miterdale, about 4 miles from the pub, so we drive to a quiet, National Trust car park to commence proceedings.

After climbing gently up a long, wooded valley to the lower slopes of Scafell, we head northwest to climb Ill Gill Head, a high ridge overlooking Wasdale Head…

and Wast Water (England’s deepest lake)..

We head along the ridge…

.. before descending through steep woodland to the car and driving back to the pub…

We hit the bath a bit earlier today, and probably drink a tad too much.. we wobble down to dinner in the pub at 7.00. and are comatose by 8.30!

Sunday:

Another lovely morning beckons; we enjoy our brekkie and check out by 10.00. I drive a few miles down the valley to Muncaster Castle, from where we take a leisurely route, initially climbing up a track with fine views back over the Bay..

.. then through gorgeous woodland with views into the mountains..

After a few miles we turn back on ourselves and climb the pretty slopes of Muncaster Fell… the views open up with height…

The 8 mile walk finishes at a pretty Tarn…

..and then we drive the half mile down into Ravenglass, a pretty fishing village for a bit of a mooch before we drive home.

So that’s it… three lovely days enjoying some of the UK’s finest walks, with my best friend.

Mike
Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Glad the weather was good to you as well. Great views

Now, why haven't you started on last months trip?

Caron
Old 29 Sep 08, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Glad the weather was good to you as well. Great views

Now, why haven't you started on last months trip?

Caron
.. I have! I'm actually doing it as we speak... I'm not posting any until it's completely finished, and I'm currently typing Day 9!
Old 29 Sep 08, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
.. I have! I'm actually doing it as we speak... I'm not posting any until it's completely finished, and I'm currently typing Day 9!
That's OK then I'll let you off

Caron
Old 29 Sep 08, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Looks like a great weekend that...despite all the walking
Old 29 Sep 08, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

what a lovely break... we were up at Muncater and Ravenglass last month and we were also pretty lucky with the weather, we managed a trip to St Bees too, which was beautiful.
The spa bath looks amazing...glad you both had a great time...thanks for sharing.
Elaine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mkingdon View Post
Looks like a great weekend that...despite all the walking
tsk tsk Mr Williams!
Old 29 Sep 08, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sue.o
Very Serious Dibber

Sounds like a lovely weekend! Lovely that you can take Ruby with you too! I love the Lakes but hardly ever get there these days! We must make more effort!
sue.o is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 08, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Glad you had a good time,we used to go to the Lake District a lot and stayed at Skelwith Fold,we used to love Hard Knott Pass and the Drunken Duck Pub.The last few times we went we took the jet ski but now they are banned on Lake Windermere so havn't been since.

Jean
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List