Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 25 Oct 08, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Stings and Sunburn!

Unfortunately when we were in Jamaica not everything went to plan and as a family we had to make two trips to the Hotel's nurse.

In the first week a group of us were in the sea. There was circular floats which you could use so we where sat on them with our feet dangling in the water. We knew we couldn't float out too far as there were buoys all around the area where we were allowed.

We were sat chatting and laughing, enjoying the warm sun on our faces whilst we paddled in the cool sea when suddenly i screamed! Something had just hurt me and i didn't know what it was but the backs of my ankles was burning

I shouted for my nephew to pull us to shore as i didn't want to get in the water, not knowing what had just hurt me. As i climbed out onto the sand i asked my family to see if there was anything on my legs as they were burning. They said there wasn't!

It continued to sting and i told Andy i thought i'd been stung, he said it would be red if i had then when i turned around again to show him, horrible red marks had started to form at the back of both my ankles. I told him it felt like someone had whipped them in the water with something hot!

I started to panic and tried to dry off as fast as i could and then went to the nurses room. She looked at me and confirmed that i had been stung by a jellyfish! She put me some cream on and said that it would cool the sting and the redness would go down.

This experience kept me out of the sea for the rest of the holiday and will make me think twice about going in again. Whilst some of our group went out on Kayaks in the second week, i decided to stand and take photos, feeling safer on land

So one trip to the nurse down, another to go:

Days before we were due to come home my 13 year old nephew managed to get his shoulders badly burnt. It was a very hot day and he'd not had as much sun cream on as he should have but wasn't wanting to get out of the water to put some on

He developed very bad blisters and when he saw the nurse she actually said that he would need to see a doctor for antibiotics etc, to prevent infection. This cost $150 for the doctor to come out and then treat him but we could claim it back on the insurance.

So two lessons learned for us...becareful in the sea and make sure you wear plenty of suncream, even when you think you have enough on!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 08, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
hayleyandhilda
Imagineer

ouch hope that you are both ok now
2015 sunset lakes - dibbvilla owed by sunset lakes
hayleyandhilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 08, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Ow! I feel for your nephew as I had exactly the same problem when I was his age and I'm very wary when I go out in the sun now.

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

wickesy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 08, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

Ouch! i remember as a child swimming in the sea in Ibiza with my dad next thing u know we are both jumping out asap as had been stung all over by jellyfish! wasnt very pleasant! so no how u felt!
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 08, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

We're both fine now thank you

I was in pain with my ankles on and off for a couple of days but touchwood no problems after that! My nephew had awful pain with his shoulders everytime a t-shirt or anything touched him. Luckily it had started to heal before he had to go back to school. We just hope he's learned from it and will ensure he's covered in cream from now on xx
Old 26 Oct 08, 02:21 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I always use a very high factor sun cream. Its just not worth trying to get a tan - apart from the possible sun burn, there is also the premature ageing of the skin (you will regret it when you are 50!) and most importantly ther is the risk of skin cancer.

One of our secretaries at work died from skin cancer at the age of 46

Linda

(in memory of Maureen)
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 08, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Glad you are both okay now.
Old 28 Oct 08, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I always use a very high factor sun cream. Its just not worth trying to get a tan - apart from the possible sun burn, there is also the premature ageing of the skin (you will regret it when you are 50!) and most importantly ther is the risk of skin cancer.

One of our secretaries at work died from skin cancer at the age of 46

Linda

(in memory of Maureen)
I know, we all used sun cream and the children especially had high factor creams. However with my nephew being in the water he had not reapplied the cream as often as he should.

Sorry to hear about your friend/work colleague. Such a young age *Hugs*
Old 28 Oct 08, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List