highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Highlander Day3 NYC NBC Tour/TOTR/Mama Mia/In The Heights

For cast please see day 1

Saturday 18th October
Up around 7:30, plan today was a full day in Manhattan so we make sure we have all vouchers etc before heading out around 9, we grab a quick breakie in Wendy's before getting the Subway into Manhattan, first stop was TOTR using our viator voucher we got tix and went straight up no queues at all, tried to call DD from the top but kept losing the signal, as always the view is breath taking and we had nice clear sky's

We admired the view for awhile before heading back done to book in for our NBC studio tour at 11:30am, after booking in we had a wander around the store and the plaza, I bought a few TV souvenirs and we got some xmas decorations for the tree

The tour was very good it lasted an hour, first part we got a 15 min film on the history of NBC then we toured a few of the studios, security was pretty tight, no pics allowed and airport security to enter the studio building, we saw the news in action and the setting up of tonights show of SNL (Saturday Night Live), it was pretty interesting to see a set being built up from scratch, after the tour we had a walking lunch in Times Square of Pretzels and hot dogs, we also checked out the menu at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone as I had reserved here for later in day, we weren't really impressed with the menu but I did have a cunning plan as a back up if we canceled

I then picked up our tix for Mama Mia's afternoon show

The show started at 2pm and it was great, very funny and hugely entertaining, the bar was pretty pricy as was the gift store, but we all enjoyed the show and my sides hurt from laughing, and yes we all sang along, well apart from Danny who was mortified we continued the singing into the street
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
After the show we had a wander and I decided to head to restaurant row as I'd heard of a place called Yum Yum3 a great little Thai restaurant popular with locals, must admit we had great choices along this road for many restaurants and even spotted Deacon Brodies and her was me thinking it was on the mile back home

We found the restaurant easily enough and along the way we passed the theater we where heading to later so I picked up our tix to save time later, the restaurant was already starting to fill up, but we got a table by the window with no wait, they do a three course fixed price menu here for $15, but we opted for just ordering a main meal each, the food was delicious and the service was great, I also ordered a bottle of plum wine which was very tasty and got a free appetizer of Thai Crepe similar to a dumpling, DW and DS both ordered duck dishes and I ordered crab in a thai green curry all dishes came with sticky rice, for desert I had fried banana with coconut ice cream, DW and son shared deep fried ice cream, their dish came set alight very cool, but they both thought it was too rich with the batter and thought mine was much better, we passed nearly 2 hours here having a great meal, I did call the tropic zone to cancel as well, the bill came to $116 this included a 20% tip, I used up the last of the $48.36 on the fairfx card here and paid cash with the rest, some food pics follow
Thai Crepe

Wifes Duck

Sons duck

My Crab

Sticky Rice

Deep fried ice cream

Deep fried Banana and Coconut ice cream

And was this a good choice

After dinner we had a wander, popped into Starbucks where DS got a Hot Chocolate and I got a pumpkin spice latte we both enjoyed them and DW used the loo, we got some sweets for the theater at Duane Reade again, the show tonight was In The Heights, this was another really good musical and show and the bar etc where better priced than Mama Mia by a few dollars, after the show I suggest wandering Times Sq but Danny and Jacquie prefer to head home,

We get back in the room just before 11:30pm and settle down to watch SNL as we saw it getting set up also Sarah Palin was the guest this evening which might explain the security we encountered earlier in the day, asleep by 1am after a really good day out
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Good trip report .. really puts me in the mood for a visit to NY..you sound as if you are having a ball !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Another great day, NBC tour sounds really good. Great pics from TOTR.
2waterford is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sunkisser
Imagineer

Fantastic. Keep 'em coming.
Old 4 Nov 08, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Great views from the Rock

That food looks so good.

Another great day.
Old 4 Nov 08, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post

I've done the NBC tour, also had the extra security, but no one famous there! I really enjoyed it! So love NYC - got to go back very soon!
Old 4 Nov 08, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Right! I dont want to wait two weeks! I want to go now!
Great pics Steve
xx

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Another brilliant day. You all look so happy
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 08, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Another brillant day with lovely photos.

You all certainly pack alot into one day.