Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Nov 08, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

New York, Orlando & ANna Maria Island - Day 1

New York, Orlando and Anna Maria Island October 2008.

Day 1 Edinburgh – New York

We’d set our alarms for 5.30am but I was awake before that, I’m always anxious we’ll miss our flight! So everyone was up, washed, dressed and the cases locked by 6am. We went down to the hotel lobby and caught the curtesy bus to the airport where we checked in. There was a man checking our passports prior to check in and he said “I saw you in Glasgow last year” I was amazed but he explained we still had his sticker on our passports from then – phew I thought Big Brother was watching us! Once we were rid of the cases we decided to have some brekkie but to be honest it was way too early in the morning for me to contemplate breakfast so me and the kids just picked whereas Cameron managed to eat something at Café Nero. We then headed through security and had a quick look round the shops – not much there to be honest then we sat at the gate. We were all really tired so quite content to just sit and relax.

A plane like the one whe flew in

The plane started boarding around 8.30am and I was surprised to see it was full. The seating configuration was 3-3 so we had 3 then the aisle seat opposite. I sat with the kids on the aisle seat and Cameron sat on the aisle seat opposite so that we could chat. Last year we’d flown Continental out of Glasgow and the plane was shabby and there were no seatback tvs well what a difference a year makes – the plane looked really fresh and we all had seatback tvs with touch screen games and a choice of films and programmes – very nice. Well not for Cameron as his was broken! I did offer to swap with him as I can never concentrate on the films as there is so much going on but he wasn’t that bothered and had a snooze. The kids played the games, watched a couple of films and generally amused themselves. After I’d read my magazines I put on my mp3 player and got cosy with Billy Joel. The flight was uneventful and the staff were very attentive but I have to say the food was awful. I know airline food will never win any awards but usually I can eat some of it but it didn’t look nice or smell appealing so I left it. The kids didn’t touch it either. We arrived in Newark after a 7 hour flight and went through immigration and collected our luggage. As the kids hadn’t eaten a thing today and we weren’t sure how long it would take to get to our apartment we went and got them a snack and a drink before getting a taxi. We saw the taxi dispatcher who organised a cab for us and agreed a price up front. This would be our first ride in a yellow cab!

The ride into New York took about 40 minutes and we were so excited as we spotted landmarks in the distance. We arrived at our apartment in East 39th Street and I was pleasantly surprised as it was really nice and in a good area. The cost was virtually half the price of the hotels, which are extortionate so I was expecting a hovel in the Bronx. But it was in Murray Hill which is mainly residential but the Armenian Consulate was across the street so if it’s good enough for the Armenians it’s good enough for me! We were on the 7th floor but when we got there it hadn’t been cleaned as the beds were stripped and there was rubbish in the kitchen so the porter apologised profusely and said they’d get someone onto it right away. We weren’t bothered as we wanted to go out and about.

Our appartment

As we were only a few blocks from grand Central Station we decided to stroll over there. We found it easily and it is pretty spectacular for a station. There is a small food court there so we decided to have a snack as we hadn’t had much all day. As we were sitting eating, a tramp came and rummaged in the bin next to us for his next meal – Fraser’s face was a picture!

Grand Central Station

We decided to have a stroll towards Times Square and Eilidh and I got really excited as we passed Bryant Park as it’s always featured in Project Runway and America’s Next Top Model, which are our favourite programmes! All of a sudden we were there – we were in Times Square! It was amazing – just like you see on the telly – WOW! We walked drinking in all the sights and I could not contain my excitement – I could see THE NAKED COWBOY! OMG, OMG! We had definitely arrived!

To be continued...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 08, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Some photos of Times Square

To be continued...
Old 24 Nov 08, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post

We kept on walking and before long we were at the Rockefeller Centre.

Rockefeller Center is a complex of 19 commercial buildings covering 22 acres between 48th and 51st streets in New York City. Built by the Rockefeller family, it is located in the center of Midtown Manhattan, spanning between Fifth Avenue and Seventh Avenue. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.[1][3][4] It is the largest privately held complex of its kind in the world, and an international symbol of modernist architectural style blended with capitalism.

Well we’d heard that the view from the Top of the Rock is even more spectacular than the view from the Empire State Building so it was a must do. We eventually found the entrance as I’d mistakenly thought the Rockefeller Builidng was just one building – d’oh should have read my guide book! Anyway we went to queue to buy our tickets and I started to worry as we were wearing t-shirts and everyone else was wearing fleeces, scarfs and gloves – we were going to freeze up there! The lift took 45 seconds to travel 67 floors if my memory serves me correctly. I have to say I loved the Top of the Rock, the views were stunning and there were plenty of viewing areas so you could see whereas when we vistied the Empire State Building later on in the holiday you had to elbow your way to the edge to take photographs.

Some views from the Top of The Rock

After we’d enjoyed the views and we didn’t freeze – we’re hardy Aberdonians! We had a wonder back to our apartment stopping at a Deli nearby for something to eat then we stopped off at Starbucks – Tea for Cameron, Vanilla Latte for me and Hot Chocolate for the kids then home to bed – it had been a long day but a good one.

Bit of useless information for you - there are 171 Starbucks in New York - that's one every 4-5 blocks. The only place in the world with more is in London.
Old 24 Nov 08, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

A fantastic day Susie with lots of lovely photos.
Old 24 Nov 08, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Forgot to mention we had to go into the 3 storey M & M store

Old 24 Nov 08, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Brilliant day Susie. You made me lol at the thought of Fraser's face when the tramp was going through the bin beside you.

Your photos are stunning
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 08, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Great day and fantastic photos.
Glad you see the naked cowboy, if i ever get to go NY and don't see him I don't think it would feel like I had been.
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 08, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Fantastic day & great photos.
The Top of the Rock view is stunning isn't it? We went in Feb at night & it was freezing!
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 08, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
What great photo's

A great day.
Old 25 Nov 08, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely day. We went to the Top of the Rock in May last year and it was fantastic.