Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Jan 09, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Spencem & Angelmouse in LA Day 9

Sunday 28th December, Universal Studios Hollywood

Alarms were set and somehow 7 of us got through 2 bathrooms, breakfast and out the door by about 9:00. This was the first day all 7 of us travelled in the thunder tank, I don't think I scared them too badly with my driving and we all fitted in there fine. Just one word of warning, with the third row of seats up the trunk is very small, we would not even have got our three cases in there let alone cases for eight.

We chose today to go to Universal as the weekend traffic through LA should be at it's lightest, it seemed to work as we only got held up on the entrance to Universal itself. We saw the Hollywood sign from the 101, which was as close as we wanted to get to Hollywierd not being in the least interested in the goings-on of lovies.

Universal itself was packed, with a good half an hour being spent getting from the freeway to the parking toll booths. Once in we paid for preferred parking as the main parking seemed to be miles away. We walked up to the entrance plaza to find long queues to get in.

We got in fine with our vouchers off the City Passes, but Dave's were a new credit card style and the ticket machines refused to let them in so they had to join the long line for guest services. Rather than have us wait they told us to go off and they would catch up later, which they did an hour later having discovered Costco had not properly entered their City Passes onto the system before dispatching them.

Just inside the park Son caught sight of this odd yellow thing and wanted his photo taken with it.

Parts of the park were well dressed for the holidays, including this impressive street scene.

Having had a conversation with our hosts about their dislike of the Simpsons and guessing the line for the ride would only get bigger as the day wore on I took Son on while the others were still outside. Angelmouse does not do simulators so she busied herself in a gift shop while we waited. The line said 30 minutes, but it was nearer an hour before we came out. I think this ride is identical to the Orlando version, but having not ridden it yet I don't know for sure. the queue is well entertained with video screens showing new content for the ride as well as 'best bits' from the shows, that didn't loop around the whole time we were in line. The ride itself is very funny, if rather rough.

Just before we came out Dave called Angelouse to let her know they were in and we walked up to her a few seconds after them. As they had got in the gate a member of staff told them the Studio Tour had hardly any queue and they should head there first, which we all did.

The Studio Tour here is fantastic, much much better than the one at Disney Hollywood Studios. Mainly because this is a real working studio and also because it is much longer with at least 8 'shows' included plus a number of sets.

This is the rainstorm 'show', there is also something very similar to Orlando's Disaster, and Jaws.

As for sets, this is War Of The Worlds, apparently the plane cost them $50,000 to buy as scrap, it then cost $500,000 to get it delivered to site.

Continued Below...

Edited at 04:34 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 09, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Great report and great pics.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 09, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
budgie6741
Imagineer

Fab report & great pics
California 2003/2008/2013
Chatham Park 2004/2005
Creekside 2006/2007/2008/2010/2011/2012/2013
Las Vegas 2009/2010/2013
Seasons 2009
Hawaii 2003/2013
budgie6741 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 09, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Part 2

Once back from the tour, including a completely baffling 'Whoville Christmas Show' we decided to head down the hill to the lower part of the park. This involves travelling down some of the longest escalators I've ever seen, and I've been to many a deep tube station. There is not just one of them either, but several linked with short open landings as you get from the upper to lower lots.

The lower lot contains the Jurassic Park ride (copy of IoA'a), Revenge of the Mummy, Backdraft and a special effects show, along with some shops and restaurants. It is quite tight for space and as you can see quite crowded.

Us three, plus Dave and his eldest braved the 25-minute wait for Mummy, which is a similar ride to Orlando, but different in a couple of places including a longer backwards section. It was great and we all enjoyed it.

After coming off and finding Teresa we joined the long line for something to eat in the 'fast' food place. the food was typical American park fare, but nothing bad. Top tip, even on the busiest of days the seating upstairs at this place is not at all crowded, plus you overlook the final drop of Jurassic Park.

Once we had eaten everyone except Dave joined the 50-minute line for Jurassic Park, he not being a fan of water rides. I think I got the wettest, and that was nothing my fleece didn't stop.

Once off we headed for Backdraft which is a walk through show about the film of the same name. You go through a couple of sets from the film stopping in each for a short film from the cast, until you get to the last one which is a chemical plant that proceeds to explode and burn around you. Great for drying out after Jurassic Park.

The only thing left down the bottom was the Special Effects show, so we went there next and I'm glad we did. It was again a multi-room walkthrough, with one being like the first part of Disaster, another an expanded version of the Horror Make Up Show and the last being a sound effects show. All were very funny and informative.

Once done we had a quick stop for restrooms and snacks before taking the long ride up the escalators, I'd hate to be here in a power cut, it is a seriously long way up.

Back up the top we tried to get into the Water World stunt show, but got there just as they closed the doors, so instead we went into Shrek 4D which is identical to Orlando. We had nearly done everything now, so we took a walk through the London Street scene to Terminator 3D, another Orlando clone.

We were done when we came out, so with a quick stop for coffee and to collect the stuff Angelmouse had brought early in the day we made our way back to the car and home down the 101 and 5.

Tomorrow I have to go to the office, so another alarm is needed.

Edited at 04:42 PM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 09, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Sounds like another great day, lovely pictures
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 09, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Another great day. I reckon I'd love the special effects show.

Universal Hollywood had a serious fire last June. Has all the damage been put right now?
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 09, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jools View Post
Universal Hollywood had a serious fire last June. Has all the damage been put right now?
No, it looks like the have only just got the site cleared. The guide did say that they would be rebuilding, but not when or what.
Old 10 Jan 09, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Ah well, it still looks like a great day out even without it. Maybe when we go it will all be up and running - don't know when that will be though

I'm really enjoying your reports
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 09, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Another great report with lovely photos.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 09, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day. I enjoyed US Hollywood more than I thought I would as it is very different to the Orlando park. I agree the backlot tour is really good, but other than that I still much prefer Universal Orlando.