Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Jan 09, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
spencem
Apprentice Imagineer

Spencem & Angelmouse in LA Day Home and Final Thoughts

Home and Final Thoughts.

The drive out to LAX was uneventful as was returning the car. Security at check-in made us feel safe, there are two lines either side of a pillar one for bag drop and one for check-in. These have been swapped since I was last there, something I didn't notice until after the guy had put his sticker on our passports. We back tracked 5', went round the pillar and went to walk down the right line. Only for the guy to stop us, ask for our passports again and ask how we got the stickers. I know I'm safe when a guy with such a great memory studies the 'bad people' mug shots each morning, he could not grasp that he had put the stickers on our passports 20 seconds earlier.

Virgin then milked us for some more revenue by making us buy a $5 holdall for $35 at check-in when they found our cases a couple of pounds overweight, despite us only having 3 between us out of the 6 allowed. I know rules are rules, but I've never had them be so picky before, we are talking 2-3 pound over for two cases. The alternative to the hold all was a $70 fee each for the two over weight bags. So in front of the whole line, I repacked our dirty washing, a few stuffed animals and our coats into the holdall.

The flight was full to the brim, so much so that while waiting to board they asked for volunteers not to fly. I did think about it especially as they went on the say compensation would be a return flight anywhere they flew, but by the time I got to the desk other people had already got off. The plane was parked out on a remote stand meaning a bus ride to it from the gate. Virgin blamed this on the airport, but the last three times I've flown with them into and out of LAX it has been the same so I have to wonder if it has more to do with the amount they pay. Delays trying to sort an Italian family who didn't speak English with small kids who had been split up after we got on board further held us up. We eventually took off about an hour and a half late. The pilot told us during his announcement that there was snow falling at Heathrow, but that it should be cleared in time not to hold us up for landing.

Night flights are never fun, even after I had moved us to one of the centre rows of three at the back when I did online check-in. At one point I thought I was going to have to separate Son and Angelmouse in the night, he kept whining and grumbling in his half-sleep and waking her up.

Eventually, we landed and I called Happy Bunny from the baggage hall for her to come into the airport from McDonald's where she was waiting. On getting outside the -3 temperature cut straight through us, not a nice welcome home at all. The M25 was fine and we made good time back to HB's where we had a coffee and sandwich while showing her some of the pictures before driving the hour home. We fell into bed around 9pm none of us having slept much since the previous night. Son did make it in body to school the next day, but I don't think his mind made it until about Thursday afternoon.

Some highs and lows;

The lows,
  • Being so ill for the first few days and missing 4 of Teresa's dinners.
  • The weather, not what we were expecting at all (it hasn't been below 70 since we left).
  • The fog New Year's Eve.
  • Angelmouse's trek through the crowds New Year's Eve.

The highs,
  • Our hosts and being made so welcome.
  • Disneyland Christmas Day.
  • Finally getting Son onto the rides at Magic Mountain he has dreamt of so long.
  • The feel of walking with Walt round Disneyland, it's so much stronger than in Orlando.
  • Having a good time away from the parks just chilling at home catching up with friends.
  • The weather again, poor as it was locally it was so much better than at home.

We had had an amazing holiday, staying with the best friends anyone could wish for. Before going out we had been a little nervous, Anglemouse especially, about staying with friends for so long over Christmas as well. Although I had seen them a few times since the rather flippant 'you can stay with us for vacation' comments we had made to each other years before and the firmer plans being made last Christmas, you are never sure someone has not been caught out by an offer they never expected to be taken up on. I used to speak to Dave most days at work when he worked for the same company as I do now, but Angelmouse had last seen him 6 years ago for one evening during a work trip of his over here. Teresa she had not seen for over 10 years. Within hours of arriving we felt like we were at home, all our fears evaporated and it was like those ten years were 10 days. I just hope they felt the same way about us.

I know they are reading since I've had the odd correction request , so I very publicly thank them once again and say with the exchange rate being what it is I hope we are able to return the favour and put them up soon for their long-anticipated return to the UK.

Thank you all for reading and your kind words, the writing of this has been a great way of remembering our trip. I'll leave you with one final photo that sums up our Christmas.

Edited at 01:15 AM.
spencem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 09, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Thank you both for a great set of trip reports. I have really enjoyed reading about your time in California. I know what you mean about 'walking with Walt' It is far more heightened in Anaheim than in Orlando.

I love that final photo too - sparkling with joy - absolutely brilliant
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 09, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post

I've really enjoyed reading your trip reports. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 09, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sue.o
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for sharing your holiday with us! I've enjoyed reading about your experience of staying with friends in California. We did it last year and I have to say we had a good time with our friends but wouldn't want to stay with them for a fortnight! I managed 5 days (struggling towards the end!) but it was great to feel as though it was the real California and not just hotels!
sue.o is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 09, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List