Notices

Old 27 Mar 09, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Is Planning Half The Fun?

Hello to you all.

With just about a week to go I think its time to post our Pre Trip (“trippie”) Report. I will say at this point that I can’t quite get my head around all the abbreviations so I won’t be using too many!

Since finding “The Dibb” (on the closure of the TCD site)I have been “lurking” but have gained lots of useful tips and information and had some really good reads (and some genuine laugh out loud funny reads) by trawling through the trip reports posted by you all and thought I might dip my novice toe in the water!

So this is my first proper post, first Trip Report (Pre Trip Actually!) and first trip to Florida, please be gentle with me!

Who’s Who?
Me – Mark – Chief Planner and Dibb addict.
Claire – Wife – Likes to think she’s in control!
Jack – Step Son (13) – A cross between Kevin the Teenager and Bart Simpson (It’s not my fault”, “I didn’t do it”, “It wasn’t me!”)
Amy – Daughter (11) – Been before (2yrs ago with her mum) so knows it all and is now bored with her Dad going on about Disney!
Chloe – Daughter (8) – A slightly smaller version of above.
Harrison – Son (2) – He’s 2! enough said!
And last but not least.
Carol – My Mum – Sponsor of the Trip!

How did this trip come about? Well my Mum was complaining about not seeing enough of her Gran Children (as we are ex pat southerners living up north) and as she had just come into a little money offered to take us all to Disney World for a holiday. “Yes please where do I sign?”

That was a little over a year ago and here we now are!

The 1st thing to decide was when we were to go and, of course, we decided that we really needed to go at the absolutely busiest time of year possible – Easter! No I hear you all shout! Doh! - Why they put school holidays at busy times of the year is a mystery to me. To be fair we didn’t realise that it was the busiest time of year until it was all bought and paid for. That’s because I hadn’t done any reading up on the subject pre booking isn’t it! Please feel free to fill in your own “moral of the story” here.

The basics booked/bought are as follows:
When – 3rd April – 17th April 2009.
Flight – Thomsonfly from Manchester as it was the cheapest at the time of booking.
Accommodation – 4 Bed Villa on Solana Gated Resort off the 27. Booked via an extensive internet search to my Mums specification. More of this in the actual report.
Car – 8 Seater Booked through Alamo. (Been a bit nervous of driving on the wrong side but, hey, the yanks can do it, how hard can it be?!) Again I have had more than the odd moment of panic over whether this will be big enough for the airport run but I’m sure we can manage somehow! (Is it too late to show my Wife the “Carry On” trip report?
Tickets – Disney Ultimate 14 day, Seaworld bolt on (Cant say too much here!) and Universal 2-Park Bonus. We decided on the tickets after actually doing some planning this time. Things to see versus time available. The above is probably the most we can sensibly make use of and even then it will a squeeze. It all sits nicely in my (Dibb) planner at this point but we are not holding our breath! This planner was subject to much derision by my wife but that was before I informed her of all the variables! Apparently some Park are busier on some days than others (Who knew?!) and then Disney do EMH’s (-Extra Magic Hours apparently? Is it only me who had to look that up?!) which can make it busier still? So much to think about and plan for, I’m beginning to regret only allowing 12months of planning now!
Brit Guide to Orlando – Well thumbed copy bought for me by my wife as she thought I hadn’t gone on about this trip enough! A brilliant read and well recommended.
Mapman Map – Already looks like an essential bit of kit! Well studied and clear enough for me to not be bothered about hiring Sat Nav for the trip. (Although I am anyway as you can’t have too much help I’ve decided! )
Unofficial Guide – Borrowed from the library as a late addition after reading so many of you recommend this guide and again has got lots of great advice and will be my constant travel companion.
Pre Paid Disney Photopass CD – Thanks to the link from macl1uk.
Dollars - Bought at 1.85 mid 2008. (Smug look on my face now but thought it was a bit risky at the time would you believe! I didn’t have the readies when it was at $2)
ADR’s – Advanced Dining Reservations apparently! Another example of me not taking good advice from this site in booking early enough means no Fantasmic dining package for us so we will just have to take our chances! . Have made some reservations for Boma and SciFi Diner though and have plans for Beaches and Cream for a Kitchen Sink. All thanks to great reviews on this site.

I must say that I have really enjoyed planning this trip and wonder if the other members of the family have missed out despite my constant cajoling to get involved? Each to their own! I’m also wondering what I’m going to do when we get back from holiday to fill my leisure time…..?

My inspirations to write this report are many and varied but as this is probably a once in a long time trip (never say never) it’s mainly to create a record for future family reference.

So with just a week to go I am in full panic mode but I guess there is not much more we can do about it now but sit back and enjoy the ride!

A big thank you to all the great posts on this site, I can honestly say they have been a big help in organising my thoughts for this trip even though I originally didn’t realise quite how much they needed organising!

Full trip report to follow on our return and your chance to see if I have really being paying attention to all your advice!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Firstly, welcome to the DIBB - I only found DIBB this month and am loving it.

Secondly, enjoyed your post. Sounds like you have planned an exciting holiday. Easter will be busy, but if you expect it and pace yourselves you will have an absolutely amazing time.

We have travelled many times from the airport with suitcases wedged between the children on the back seat - and we upgraded to full size car! There is always a way to get the luggage to your accommodation.

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Sounds like an excellent trip you have lined up there.

(Funnily enough, yesterday I nearly posted something along similar lines to the question you ask in your thread title: When it comes to Disney holidays, is the anticipation at least equal to the event itself?)

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post

It does slightly worry me that i will have built up such anticipation that i may feel slightly let down by the Trip?!? But this is Disney so surley not!
Old 27 Mar 09, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Seabass8 View Post
It does slightly worry me that i will have built up such anticipation that i may feel slightly let down by the Trip?!? But this is Disney so surley not!
Not at all - it's absolutely awesome and you are in for the treat of your lives.

Well, the first of many - you will want to go back!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

Great start & welcome to the Dibb.

I must say before our trip in 07 I did feel slightly that it may let us down but believe me it was better than my wildest expectations, hence the return trip this year.

Have a wonderful holiday & looking forward to hearing about it on your return.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerfan144
Imagineer

tiggerfan144's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Welcome to the Dibb. great start to your report

Howard Johnson Maingate west (1995), Villa (1997), Gateway Inn (1999), Sheraton World (2000), Rodeway Inn (2002), Springhill Suites (2004), Caribbean Beach/Crowne Plaza (2006) AKL/HRH/Rodeway inn (2009)

And Becky makes four
tiggerfan144 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post

welcome to the dibb sounds like your all planned and ready to go
Old 27 Mar 09, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Welcome to the highly addictive Dibb!

Sounds like you are all planned and ready to go so wishing you a fantatstic holiday!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 09, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi and welcome. Great first post and I'm looking forward to reading your full trip report. Have a great holiday!